Discussion Weirdest education policy that happen in your country?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Adislt2, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they got the idea from Britain and America. Britain gave it up in the 90s but America still has it for some rural areas. The America ones are in a classroom and the ones I heard of irl required writing essays even to get into the math classes. :|

AP (Advanced Placement) classes are a better setup

Just google
    ITV Schools
    Or
    ITV Program America Education Rural

2. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's different where you are from about zoning, But locally, from what I understand there are multiple reasons, one of which, is to ensure there are no overcrowding of schools with too many students, (however it still happens because some school does massive intake of international students that pay extra, or intake of super clever scholarship students that make the school look good).

There is a limit of how many students a teacher could handle while provide adequate education while staff could not expand indefinitely due to physical limitations in space and rooms in an area.

And zoning was design to ensure all people in the area have an absolute right to an education.
    That was the goal anyway

Another reason zoning prioritize local students that live in the areas here is because, people pay land rates and part of the rates funds schools not all of it but a bit of it. So if you are attending school out of zone, due to your super intellect, the subsidies your house hold would have paid to the school you attend is not paid. where zone you would have attended have a surplus of resources.

But that is a minor reason.

I think there are several other reasons but I am not a civil legislator nor a government official.

Pyoo likes this.
  3. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why i said at surface or on paper it's a good policy , but in Indonesia that kind of policy only applicable in big city, because difference of quality between schools is not big
    But in small town or rural area that's policy isn't good, Because like in area a the junior high school available have class that already in bad condition, havo no computer and internet and access to go there is difficult meanwhile junior high school in area b is full facilitated located in strategic area. And that's the core problem in my country education system, they make many great education policy but sadly that kind of policy only applicable to big city and rich regency or province not for school and students in country side or small regency

4. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok. I just thought it was interesting, before I read you thread I didn't really know why there was zoning... you simple said it was weird, but you didn't really say why, until just now.

Because we live in different countries, i don't quite understand your perspective until you say it. To fully understand what you mean by weird I'd have to live in your country the understand the governmental and societal forces at work, unfortunately I have not had time to do that.

May be another time.

5. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My area has the zone thing too. You can apply to attend a school outside your zone though. I went to a different highschool than my zone because I moved during my 3rd year of highschool (there are 4 years total) and didn't want to be in a completely new school for only my final year.

The weirdest education policy... probably the emphasis on testing.

Adislt2 likes this.
  6. Random lurker

Random lurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Elevating the test difficulty and not the education system

Pyoo, Moonpearl and Adislt2 like this.
  7. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That man the things that i too never understand
    Why people up there in government think by increasing the difficulty of the test and increasing the passing grade score can immediately make a generation better and smarter

Random lurker likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this imo one of most ridiculous thing~
    yeah I get it mean better cross check thing and reduce national exam cost on nation wide scale
    the problem lay on
    • when this thing implemented infrastructure still a mess even now still stand not mention internet connectivity
    • da IT security system on various government department still lack~ I remember laugh so hard heard server down when national exam hold~ lul
    • and most important there seem no evaluation after it~ what I mean if a region have bad score on national exam then wht need to do? seem nothing beside school pressured to make better score next time
    so I quite happy when national exam not used to determine a student can graduate or not~
    idk about now tho~

9. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is how post-graduate classes for something relating to Education courses runs here.
    • Start of semester, class starts.
    • Lecturer comes in with a bunch of photocopies containing lesson plan and modules for this semester.
    • Separate students into groups and distribute the photocopies.
    • Assign each chapters to each group.
    • Instruct them to find the materials relating to it, study them and present their findings in class.
    • Assign dates for the presentations that runs until the end of the semester.
    • Class dismissed.
    Apparently, it's called student-oriented teaching methods. Apparently, it's effective in other nations and they need to emulate them into their current education system. Apparently, the best way to do that is by having the teachers/educators/instructors-to-be as labrats testing these new methods.

Someone should write a book about it. "Teaching is Easy, No Effort Needed".

Pyoo likes this.
  10. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    *ahem* Be prepared to change minister yet again... doesn't matter incumbent win or lose, Minister of Education seems to always change...

Ah yes, I remember this shit. Because I was not very bright and not really focused on studying back then (like most teenagers are), I always fluke my chemistry, biology, and physics classes.
    Weirdly, they still grade the class from test and exams. Because "your effort for studying by yourself doesn't matter at all". Because "those presentation you made and presented to the class didn't require you to understand the material at all" /s

LaDyViL and orematcha like this.
  11. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't know much about the current policies, but my relative (she teaches in mid school) said that the zoning system made the quality of freshmen kinda dropped, and some teacher didn't like that. Moreover, the application of STEM curriculum in middle school is kinda hard for students. I guess it's more about the input qualities at the beginning, but evaluation will definitely be carried out. So far, I can't find any evaluation articles/papers about the current curriculum in Indonesia. Does anyone find it?
    I hope the curriculum or educational policies won't always change everytime the minister of education changed.

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    The government suddenly decided that teachers must double as clerks too. As a result, most of the classes didn't have teachers teaching. Because not only do teachers teach, teachers also have to do event organiser work. And then government piled on the work of being clerk on top. So the time teachers have to teach became less than 1/3 of the time they spend at school, because the government stated that event organizing and clerical work are more important than teaching if they're required. And boy, there is a lot of events and clerical work, so that means teachers do not have time to teach.

The government suddenly decided that you do not need co-curricular activities to buff up your university requirements. The only thing that matters is grades, grades, grades. You are a team leader? Who the fuck cares. You are Olympic level sprinter? Who the fuck cares. You are a great debater with wins all over your belt? Who the fuck cares. You're a great inventor with MIT interested in your inventions? Who the fuck cares. From that point on, only A grades mattered. If you have more A than the person next to you, you're guaranteed to go to university even if you can't speak worth shit or you can't research worth a damn. If you don't have A for all your subjects, you're automatically trash. If you take 8 subjects and you got all A for those subjects, nobody gives a shit because there's someone else who spent all his time not leaving his room who took 12 subjects and gets all A for those subjects. The result was student suicides increased from almost nothing to extremely noticeable.

To not be seen as trash, you have to forgo all human interaction, you must be stuck to your desk and you must write your name in blood. As a result, the new elites generally can't speak, can't work, and can't think worth a damn. If you tell them what to do something new, they will not know how to do it because they have no idea how to find out how to do it. This is all the work of only one idiot who think he's so hot that he could completely destroy an entire generation because he wants people to remember his name.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Pyoo likes this.
  13. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The biggest issue of Indonesia current education policy is they designed by the standard of the best school from jakarta or another big cities
    I'm a teacher and whenever i open the textbook intended to my class year the first thing that comes in my mind is " what kind of school indonesia have in the mind of this idiot author "
    Seriously the content have no explanation you only have a dialogue , task that have no explanations of how you should solve it,

orematcha likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Open policy admission for university/College in some U.S and Canadian schools.
    I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.
    You have people fighting tooth and nail to write college entrance exams in Korea but open admission in quality schools in the U.S.
    As an international student, I was shocked to say the least. School is really less pressure in the U.S. if you understand the system.
    I still don't understand why more people don't use community colleges but enter degree mill crappy 4 year for profit colleges that ended up getting shutdown for being scams.

Also in state and out of state tuition and work study.
    Some states allow in state tuition for even international students and also work study.
    Some states don't.
    Sadly, the biggest issue is still ignorance and leaving your comfort zone.
    I found out that if you searched hard enough that you can find quality affordable colleges who throw the red carpet for you in the U.S. while you can also find expensive shit schools that don't even have accreditation

15. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By the textbook do you mean something like BSE? I used BSE in my late high school years, and it was hard to understand the materials. Indeed, lack of proper explanations... I don't know what that book is called right now. Is there no revision for the textbook itself? Only a few teachers in my sister's school use that kind of books in the class. The others would suggest the students to buy the preferred textbooks.

16. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really BSE but quite similar, it's a textbook that distributed and published by our government, the content can only be done by people that master or have good understanding of subject ( in my case it's English subject ), one of the most ridiculous task in the book i see so far is after students learn about time in general like morning, afternoon, evening, and night,plus a dialogue about time in clock like in 7o'clock i have a breakfast the book give the students task where they required to write a diary type schedule for one day full with full English sentence in form of a table

17. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    ?? o_OWhat grade English is this for? Why write in form of a table?? Writing in diary form is the basic ones they make you do to practice writing sentence/grammar in most language class so it’s understandable why they would make you do that, but who the fuck cares about a table format?? Like wtf?

18. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First year of middle school
    Yeah they required to write what they do in one day in table format,
    First column is number, second column is the time you do your activity ( both in numeric (07:00) or in alphabetic ( seven o'clock ) and last column is what are you doing at that time
    And yes it is very tricky because what kind of child that already scheduled their activities like a businessman?
    And the reason why i called it kind of diary because we don't write what we will do in ine day like a normal schedule, but we write what we have done in one day start from wake up until we sleep

19. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess whoever wrote the textbook thought this would be the easiest way without making teaching too complicated, either way could be better

20. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's why I said , if this is a student in big city, élite school, or students that really familiar with English, they will find this task is easy to my fellow teacher of English subject
    The problem only arise with students that have really low mastery or familiarity with English which is often happened to students in small regency or rural town, don't mention make a good sentence in English, most of them even have hard times to mention things they have in English and it's on middle school
    For them i can't give them the task directly , i need two meeting just to make them able to write time in correct way ( one of the reasons why i give them informal style of time reading like two thirty for 02:30 )
    Sorry for my bad grammar, it's one of my biggest weakness as English subject teacher

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Miku likes this.