Resolved Well written Xianxia from start to (preferably or close to) finish

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by DChewie, Aug 27, 2017.

1. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum and relatively new to Chinese novels in general and I'm looking for some Xianxia/Wuxia novels that are well written in which the authors do not forget characters randomly on the way and keep the quality consistent until the end while having a nice pace to the story.

It would be awesome if you guys and girls could recommend something of considerable length, if the translation is still in progress, around 400 chapters at least.

What I read so far and what I'm currently reading:

Tales of Demons and Gods (Mad Snail got me into Chinese novels, unfortunately he is also the most unprofessional author on my short list)
    Coiling Dragon
    Stellar Transformation
    The Desolate Era (on book 21 at the moment)
    I Shall Seal the Heavens

As you saw above, I only read novels by Mad Snail, IET and Er Gen so far, so my experience is pretty limited and I'm open to anything of quality around this genre that you can recommend.

If it would help you to narrow down some titles, here's my problems with what I read so far:

TDG: Mad Snail has a an erratic pace and likes to insist too much on irrelevant things and too little on important events, but overall I thought it was a solid novel until he decided to release 1 chapter per month.

IET: He is great at creating worlds and he makes some interesting and over the top battles and cultivation sequences. but he always and abruptly forgets characters and events on the way without giving them closure. Coiling Dragon is my favorite novel so far, but I could not get into any of his novels until I read 10 or 11 books and I'm not kidding, that's how much it took me to care about the characters in Stellar Transformation and Desolate Era (Coiling Dragon was an exception, it took only about 4 books). What he writes is of pretty bad quality overall, but what he does right (setting and the over the top presentation), makes them entertaining, eventually.

Er Gen (ISSTH): This is the first novel that surprised me with how well it was written, frankly I was taken aback by the quality. I thought it was not possible for a novel in this particular format to be interesting from the first chapter and for an author to remember almost all the characters and have them come back later in the story and even to give them some closure, but that was till a point unfortunately. There was a very huge drop in quality since the first war started and it continued to drop at a high rate till the end. It left a bad taste overall, but it was very good for most of its length and I even enjoyed the comic parts with the meat jelly and lord 5th (I'm a pretty sarcastic guy and I like dry humor, I did not expect to actually find things that would genuinely make me laugh).

Sorry for the lengthy post and that maybe some of it was simply drivel, but hopefully you guys can help with some awesome recommendations :).

Thank you in advance!

2. arrogantyoungmaster

arrogantyoungmaster 20 Nuf = 1 face slap to make your day better

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Toastbrot

Toastbrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    you want good and say you read TDG... my god.. go read MGA then, its better

akki likes this.
  5. TH3unknown

TH3unknown Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno what it comes under but if you want something that's good from start to close to the end then read Ze Tian Ji

7. Toastbrot

Reading List:
    Link
    tdg is not bad, atleast till mad snail got bored of it, like he always does with his novels

8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... im going to puke.

after 50 chapters or so it becomes obvious the author doesnt know what the fuck is he supposed to do with the plot

Iramohs likes this.
  9. Toastbrot

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Darkstag

Darkstag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Kaiyri

Kaiyri Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sal880612m likes this.
  12. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Darkstag

Reading List:
    Link
    i see that someone has sneaked the great novel here.

and without the presence of this novel, a novel request thread would be incomplete. :po_O:blobexpressionless::blobowoevil::blobpoliceangry::hmm:

pkhyber likes this.
  15. MungMan

MungMan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My biggest problems with xianxia and xuanhuan are tree specific things: Too much emphasis on battles and "getting stronger" instead of character development, whereas the emphasis should be on both equally. Overly fortunate but relatively bland main protagonists with the story being too focused on them. They go on way too long, these novels have ridiculous amount of filler and the stories are dragged out so much it becomes more of a chore and commitment to read rather than entertainment. I've yet to find a novel of these genres that tries to do away with these issues.

16. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
  17. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Even though it's not xianxia, you should be reading Release that Witch if you aren't already.

Also I haven't read any to finish, but I usually don't mind TJSS works. That would be Doulu Dalu 1,2,3, SYWX or something like that, and a bunch of others. Last I checked most weren't harem, a few are though and he has a few that fall short but for the most part it's decent.

18. Darkstag

Reading List:
    Link
    there are some good novels out there, though i do not know all of them. here is one example Legend of the Cultivation God . This novel is very slow paced, and it not only about the MC getting stronger(at least until i have read). Sadly this novel is droped now and no Translator is picking this up because of the how big the novel is. :cookie::blobwoah:

19. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other wolrdly evil monarch

It's less mindless fights, more using your brain type of novel, anything by this author is usually good.

20. ToshinRaizen

ToshinRaizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still say tdg is better than mga, the mc from mga can't make it to the bathroom without offending someone or being offended and he acts so freaking arrogant when he has no right to be arrogant. He should read Emperor Domination at least the mc has the right to be arrogant and he steam rolls everyone.