Western Anti-Hero/ Evil MC Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rice1321, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
    I was getting tired of reading the same generic xianxias/xuanhuans so I figured I go back to reading western stories. I just started reading the Broken Empire Trilogy and I enjoyed it immensely. I want an MC similar to Jorg in Broken Empire. Someone with few moral scruples and little remorse about harming or manipulating people. I would prefer the setting to be in a dark fantasy world or a revenge story but I'm up for anything as long as it has that type of anti-hero/villian mc

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks(it's a trilogy)
    How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

3. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a few others some of which were fantasy but I've forgotten the titles so sorry. If I remember them I'll post it.

4. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. You

You ̨̮̱͇̹͔̮c͎̙̘̮̕h͏̗aot̼̳̣̞͞ic p̵e̥̲ŗ̰̬v̫͍͓̼̣́ert

Reading List:
    Link
    If graticious swearing is okay with you, then Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch is something I'd recommend after Broken Empire.

If you're looking for the gritty, no holds barred kinds of MCs, there's The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie (multiple POVs), Low Town by Daniel Polansky (okay, so the MC in this one has morals but...), Powder Mage by Brian McClellan (more military fantasy than dark fantasy), Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks, [placeholder]

Obligatory Discworld by Terry Pratchet recommendation just cause. It's mostly fantasy satire but it has some surprisingly dark parts in certain books. (I suggest starting with the 10th one)

Will edit after looking through my old list somewhere.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    MadHatter likes this.
  6. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Joe Abercrombie's series are right up your alley. His First Law Trilogy and subsequent stand alones(Best Served Cold, The Heroes, Red Country) all have some very gray characters involved in them. His Shattered Sea series is also along the same lines.

The King's Dark Tidings series might have what you're looking for, as the MC isn't so much an anti-hero as completely and utterly ruthless. No compunctions about killing, anything works as a means to an end; but at the same time he does live by a code somewhat along the lines of chivalry so he's not really a bad guy per say. But it's a good series regardless.

You might also try out Glen Cook's The Black Company series. I never got into it myself, but it definitely has some morally ambiguous characters in it.

I think The Grim Company series is another dark one, but I can't remember.

Rather than trying to jog my terrible memory, just go to this link.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-anti-hero-fantasy-books.html

You likes this.
  7. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
  8. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the Joe Abercrombie recommendation for any of his books They are all quite dark and quite excellent. Very fitting.
    Thomas Covenant has an anti-hero MC, though he isn't without scruples. But he's still quite frequently a prick.
    Elric of Melnibone also has a anti-hero MC (quite ironically too considering the way Moorcock does things).
    Glen Cook's Black Company aren't huge on morals considering they are a mercenary band that works for the Dark Lord, but they do have some standards.
    Acts of Caine also features a rather amoral killer protagonist as well.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  10. AndrewOrion

AndrewOrion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want dark series with an assassin as the main character, then the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks is a good choice.
    Disclaimer: Cursing, Cannibalism, and general lose lose scenarios with maybe a smidgen of human sacrifice.

11. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kane (by Karl Edward Wagner)

The MC is curse with immortality. His ultimate goal is world domination. With all the knowledge he possess, the shit he does, the magical prowess, but ultimately he always fail then jump into a new world and try to take over again. Kane is the epitome of the fantasy genre, its poster boy.

12. You

You ̨̮̱͇̹͔̮c͎̙̘̮̕h͏̗aot̼̳̣̞͞ic p̵e̥̲ŗ̰̬v̫͍͓̼̣́ert

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Having read only a few dozen SF/F books in the last few years, forgive me for my ignorance. I haven't ever heard or read about Wagner or his works. Seems like I have another series to look into. Thanks.

13. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Red Moon Demon(Book 1 of 6) 6 just came out.

Urban fantasy MC is anti-hero/borderline villian(but isn't a hypocrite about it)
    Has a decently believable harem as far as they go and MC is OP, though he struggles against some equally OP people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.