Recommendations Western novel like xianxia or korean

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by miles118, Oct 14, 2021.

1. miles118

miles118 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello. It has been a long time since I posted here. Anyways I think I am getting bored. Normally I do not like to read western novel. They always have something I dislike whether it's writing style, illogical MC, Emotional character... I read most novels I liked wether xianxia or korean novels so I would like some recommendation on western novels with nice progression on power levels. I prefer Fantasy/Sci-fi novels so if anyone has any recommendation it would be apreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Iandabug07

Iandabug07 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of Mysteries and Reborn: Apocalypse are both solid western style novels. Lord of Mysteries is by a chinese author and Reborn: Apocalypse is by a western author.

miles118 likes this.
  3. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Both are original English Web Novels.
    Mother of Learning
    The Zombie Knight Saga

miles118 likes this.
  4. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Cradle series by Will Wight, I guess.

miles118 likes this.
  5. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Inheritance Cycle is pretty great. Author started writing the first book, Eragon, when he was 15, and published it when he was 18, so this series has that webnovel power fantasy inexperienced author style flavor that we all know and love. It's about a young farm boy who finds a dragon egg and continually goes through battle and ordeal to defeat an evil emperor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inheritance_Cycle

You can find it at a library.

6. miles118

miles118 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you all. I am thinking of reaqding Inheritance Cycle and Cradle Series. Reborn: Apocalypse also seems interesting. I have already read the rest. Has anyone got anymore recomendation ?

7. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I really don't want to recommend any of the progression fantasy books since they basically have all the same terrible webnovel tropes we are familiar with, just written in English.

I once made a massive list of western fantasy recommendations on another forum somewhere. I have read so much xianxia in the years between that I can't remember any of them lol.

How about the Witcher novels? There's not that much power progression in the novels, but if you have played the Witcher games, you can easily imagine Geralt powering up as he goes through the story, which is what I did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher

Also, if you haven't read the Harry Potter series yet, it's about a boy who is introduced to a new world of magic, and trains in a school/sect of wizards. There is a decent amount of power progression.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter

Oh I thought Amulet of Samarkand in this series and the rest of this series was great too. Decent power progression.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartimaeus_Sequence

8. sparklerd

sparklerd New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As other people have already mentioned, the Inheritance Cycle is fantastic with really good world building and decent character development. The power progression is fun.

I liked the Amulet of Samarkand too! That's a good recommendation from @potato413. I read it years ago and I still think back to it occasionally.

The Heroes of Olympus (Percy Jackson) series is such a fun, easy to read series.

I've heard rave reviews for Gideon the Ninth which I personally haven't read.

9. AZ21

AZ21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Perfect Run seems 'perfect' for you..its a sci-fi with a cyberpunk setting the mc can stop time and go back to a savepoint/checkpoint. And its recently ended 3 days ago..all i can say is there are many emotional highs, lows, surprises and funny moments

10. Talesowns

Talesowns New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out the author Brandon Sanderson. He has written a great collection of books that you will enjoy. Here are some quotes from one of his books The Way of Kings

Life before Death.
    Strength before Weakness.
    Journey before Destination.

Expectations were like fine pottery. The harder you held them, the more likely they were to crack.

Somebody has to start. Somebody has to step forward and do what is right, because it is right.

Just because I do not accept the teachings of the devotaries does not mean I've discarded a belief in right and wrong."
    "But the Almighty determines what is right!"
    "Must someone, some unseen thing, declare what is right for it to be right? I believe that my own morality -- which answers only to my heart -- is more sure and true than the morality of those who do right only because they fear retribution.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021