Recommendations Western Novels with style similar to Sugaru Miaki

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Wiki09Wallace, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Wiki09Wallace

Wiki09Wallace Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a huge Sugaru Miaki fan so I am looking to see if there's such similar writers in the Western community...
    Don't know if I can get decent recommendations here but it would be appreciated!

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that there are western novels on NU, you probably should try watpad, goodreads or even webnovel or some other site like them (for or supports western novels) :hmm:

3. Wiki09Wallace

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea that is none here but I just cannot think of a good place to ask..

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at the forums like here or here or here

5. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not to sound mean, but you might want to try that Schoolastic books, this writers stuff sounds like stuff I remember getting from them when I was a kid

6. Wiki09Wallace

Reading List:
    Link
    nah not mean, thanks for your suggestion. Can you name a few in specific?

7. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't remember it's been a long time since I'd dealt with them @Wiki09Wallace, I only thought of it as my niece had brought one of the flyers home and the descriptions of the authors work sounded like something from it and I meant mean since they are kids books for the largest part ... and text books ... oh I do remember one, but it's old and might even be out of print now called "A Darker Magic" that would fit

8. AshCrow

AshCrow LeeFromAsia

Reading List:
    Link
    Psychological novels? Hmm... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Western stories involving psychological events are sold in amazon or bookstores.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This *is* a good place to ask. Many people here read novels from other sources, and only the people here would have any clue who you were talking about or would have read the novels by this author. This is, in fact, the perfect place to ask. I'd suggest maybe linking to this page in your opening post so people who read the novels but didn't catch the author's name might reply.

https://www.novelupdates.com/nauthor/sugaru-miaki-fafoo/

You can also try tagging people who left reviews for those novels on Novel Updates.
    E.g. @optjam @Sumire @Aretheus @OmnisNihil @kkgoh

Or people that have talked about the author before.
    @Daruda @Sheepo @felidormit @Everlasting Spring @hayyan @Maid Chan @Decim @youseiki

Don't worry if they don't use the forums much or are rarely around - they'll get alerts on Novel Updates and stop by eventually. Probably.

Lastly, you can try searching for people who have made similar queries in the past. (I couldn't find any :sweating_profusely:)

10. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why don't you read Haruki Murakami Norwegian Wood instead? It's as good.

11. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Westeller You really wanted to tag me? I'm pretty sure I never talked about her... Not that I can remember at least.

Anyway, @Wiki09Wallace what do you mean with similiar? Anything specific or really just books with a similiar feel (which is kinda hard, since the translator plays a huge part in that...)?

Westeller likes this.
  12. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    You've straight up recommended this author's novels before, so it's really not.

You've read them, so you can recommend others like them. The other replies in this thread are useless, so help out! :blob_catflip:

Lonelycity likes this.
  15. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The moment when you forget your fav authors name XD

hmm authors who evoke a similar feeling is it ?
    Try the works of Kazuo Ishiguro:
    Never let go of me
    And Remains of the day are my personal favorites... his novels deal with nostalgia and bitter sweetness.. it’s not about happy ending or sad endings but rather living in the moment knowing fully well that not everything is perfect (?)

@Wiki09Wallace
    some of his books have spawned movies... you can give them a try too

Westeller likes this.
  16. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am with @Sheepo , not sure what you mean by "similar". Writing style? Magical realism? Content?

... Sugaru Miaki's best/first works were adaptations from 2chan, so the language tended to be pretty simple. Haven't read his latest works but I'm assuming it's the same.
    Similar Eastern authors would be Haruki Murakami ... "Kafka on the Shore", "Windup Bird Chronicle", "Hardboiled Wonderland", etc. Even his short stories "Elephant Vanishes", "100%", "2nd Bakery Attack" are great.

Stylistically, I don't know of any "western" authors that write that way ... those authors tend to be way more verbose and descriptive.
    Based on the link below, you'd have to look towards Latin American authors. I'd have to ask my Hispanic friends to confirm.
    https://www.vox.com/2014/4/20/56288...-too-embarrassed-to-ask-about-magical-realism

If you want the acclaimed grand-daddy of modern magical realism maybe look for "Hundred Years of Solitude"? Otherwise there's always "The Time Traveler's Wife", "Life of Pi", etc.
    Oh yea and "American Gods". That one won a prize over a decade ago I think.

Lonelycity and Westeller like this.
  17. Sumire

Sumire Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I'm seeing you like short story with happy ending, some romance, and maybe a psychological side? If that's so I haven't been reading much but from the top of my head there's Gekkou. a-game-to-make-him-fall and it's counterpart the-probability-i-can-kill-my-wife-without-being-found-out/. about-the-reckless-girl-who-kept-challenging-a-reborn-man-like-me is pretty decent too. And I guess maybe in-a-world-without-life? I still have the 5 posts restriction so can't give you the link. I don't really read Western stuff so can't give you recommendations about that.

Westeller and Lonelycity like this.
  18. Aretheus

Aretheus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're talking about Western novels, The Accidental Tourist is my favorite book. In a way, it runs a bit counter to the appeal of Fafoo's style because it has a pretty open-ended happy conclusion. But the protagonist's journey of self-reflection feels very Fafoo-esque.

Westeller likes this.
  19. Wiki09Wallace

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want recommendations in general without many specific criteria, so thanks all for the rec!