Western vs Eastern Storytelling (General Overview)

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Dkaepa, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Dkaepa

Dkaepa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    damn for me that I didn't know how I wanted to make my story this video help a lot even with his mistakes.
    because I was trying to create a story that focused on my MC with some actions here and there.
    except that on my head I was subconsciously thinking about the eropean story format, and I wanted to create a slightly more Asian story format.
    then I couldn't create a good plot for my story. T.T
    I could only think that the story had to have a great enemy to defeat in order for the plot to continue, for some reason I couldn't think that the story didn't have to have a great enemy and a great final battle to have a plot.
    then after I saw this video I can see more clearly compared to before how I want to create my story. even with the mistakes he made in the video, which yes I realized when I saw the video.

so I would like to know if the video even with its mistakes helps to understand a bit like the western and eastern story structure are, and if it helps a little with what kind of structure you want to create your story?
    because you 3 are the ones who commented the most about the video. hence i would like to know if the post helps a little, beginner writers or does it put misconceptions in the beginner writers brain?

2. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Misconceptions IMO. It might be able to help some people like you but it can also hurt especially that ending bit I think where he mentions about removing certain ideas from the Western side and how they no longer work...
    He generally removes part of what makes the world, e.g. in the Greek one he removes the plague I'm pretty sure which is the catalyst for the story.
    So similarly in One Punch Man you could remove the depression of Saitama. It's the main enemy and catalyst and is really similar to the plague from the Greek story.

3. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2019-10-13_1-10-8.png Just posting what I actually said on the video here XD

Anra7777 likes this.
  4. Dkaepa

Dkaepa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I changed the title a little bit maybe this helps a little with what to expect of the video from the post here XD

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no wrong way to write a story.
    Parodies exist, so do gag stories.
    If you focus too much on rules. Your story becomes formulaic and stiff.
    Cheers!

TiggerBane likes this.
  6. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't write stories to fit into any archtype. They just get sorted into them afterwards.