Question What’s going on with Common Sense of a Duke’s Daughter?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Danthefanokaku, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Danthefanokaku

Danthefanokaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really would like to agree with you there and give this translator a chance, but I just tried to read their chapter 125 and I only understood maybe a dozen sentences. Maybe. The English language has been butchered to an insane degree. This translator certainly tries to edit it and fix the incorrect grammar done by mtl, but it just feels like they give up halfway through the chapter. Their quality isn’t consistent. It’s either “oh look, a sentence” or it’s “oh look, a jumble of words that doesn’t make any sense”. Now some people can handle these types of translators and translations. I don’t know how, but they can read and understand these works with ease. But I personally find it unbearable to have to, in essence, rewrite the chapter for the translator within my head. It gives me a headache if we’re being honest here. So while their English is quote on quote not the best translation there is, it’s by no means the worst translation and by no means a readable translation for some people. Just because it’s not the best doesn’t mean it should automatically get praise for being translated. #sethigherstandardsforyourself

RiiRu likes this.
  2. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege steal tensei shitara slime. So he reap what he sow. As his senior elder, I feel what he do is shameful. He do notify guro.. but as guro say. There's lack of manner..

3. River82

River82 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not interested in fan-translation drama. I am interested in the quality of the translations produced. The new MTL translations are trash and can't be read, Wujigege's are far superior and can be read so I'll be another one waiting for his chapters.

Thanks Wujigege for continuing with this series :)

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    you sure about that? there are some mis-translations the last time some people check it with the raw and he isn't the one who doing the translation

5. River82

River82 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am very certain the MTL has been butchered, and you don't need to produce a fantastic translation to be fantastic relative to trash. So whoever's doing the translations that are being hosted on Wujigege's site, they have my gratitude :)

Danthefanokaku likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I have someone doing a smear campaign claiming that I will drop the novel and that readers should read on the other site that is better etc.
    It was pretty funny to see.
    I counted at least 10 similar comments
    There were pretty hilarious
    upload_2018-9-3_0-49-19.png
    upload_2018-9-3_0-51-12.png

7. River82

River82 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, they can spread all the tales they want. It's completely obvious when people open up djurasico's "translation" that it's pretty gorram terrible.

Danthefanokaku and Wujigege like this.
  8. PinoyReader

PinoyReader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before you accuse someone of stealing let me ask you some questions, did Wujigege copy the other translator's work and posted it in his website? Does the other translator has license to translate the novel? If the answers are no then no stealing done here.

Why do some translators think they own the novel just because they are the first one to translate. Too arrogant. That's why competition is better.

9. Danthefanokaku

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely agree about competition being the best between translators (especially since slime’s translations were so slow) but it kinda seems like people are just trying to steal Asian Hobbyists works. Like Wujigege posted earlier about the MTL person whose trying to take over common sense of a Duke’s daughter, there’s also cardboard TL putting out releases at the exact same time as Asian Hobbyist for I Became the Demon Lord so I Created a Dungeon and Spend Heartwarming Time There with Non-Human Girls. I don’t know why some translators think this is okay, it’s just annoying to the readers since the current translator is still actively translating a novel that the readers like.

10. SupremeTentacle

SupremeTentacle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding the I Became the Demon Lord so I Created a Dungeon and Spend Heartwarming Time There with Non-Human Girls (hereby abbreviated as JM) situation.

I don't deny that it's in part just to spite the guy for being a dbag, but JM's quality is legit trash on the asian hobbyist site. The reason I picked it up is the same reason I picked up TSKD. I saw really bad translations and was like, "Fuck this. I like this series, so I'm going to do better." And yes, I'm comparing the stuff on asian hobbyist to comet translations.

Sure, ah makes things "legible," but the translation accuracy is about the same. If the translator is in fact a human, then they're either literally worse than google, or just don't care about the series at all. The little tag ah has on the bottom of their website saying that they don't guarantee 100% translation accuracy should say that they don't even guarantee 50% translation accuracy.

tl;dr They triggered the hell out of me because they were ruining a good WN, so I started working on it.

Maraderchik likes this.
  11. Danthefanokaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Sweet then! I haven’t read your translation of it, but if you’ve upped the quality then I’m all down for it. I’ve never been a huge fan of Asian hobbyist “by page” policy. I was just more annoyed at the massive influx of chapters out of order here on NU. In all honesty I’m not here to truly defend Asian hobbyist, because some of their translations are pretty trashy, I’m just trying to sort out whose translating what since it has gotten a bit out of hand lol

12. River82

River82 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cardboard Translations put out really good work.

13. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Fan translation my ass. Guro has the author permission.

14. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    He did has. Slime tensei author permissions. Too arrogant? Really? Are you serious? Kids these days..

15. River82

River82 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which means nothing. If a person has an author's permission to create works inside that author's world, those will still be considered fan fiction despite the author's permission. Has Guro bought the license for the english translation? No? Fan translation.

Your dedication to Guro translations is admirable, but means nothing to me. I care about quality, Djurasico is an abomination, AsianHobbyist therefore has my attention.

16. Danthefanokaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh and don’t forget about Guro’s slow update speeds.
    Look, having an authors permission is excellent and extremely noble, but if your translations come out at a snails pace then the series could be translated by someone else since the rule is inactivity for a series for 3 months (here on NU that is). Plus I mean, you’re never going to win an argument or state points that interest others if you talk down to other people. I can totally understand a misrepresentation of tone, since this is text, but that’s pretty condescending. Although I do admit that saying someone is “Too arrogant” can be rather disheartening.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  17. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    One month unactive translator policy on nu is the best, nuf should adopt the same rule

18. Danthefanokaku

Reading List:
    Link
    But what if the author only puts out a volume every other month?

19. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats what happen in tales of demon and god. Qidian get listed because of that. For that case, i think it is better to make some exceptions.

20. Danthefanokaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but then the problem lies in the fact that now you’ve gotta decide who gets exceptions and who doesn’t. Who is special enough for exceptions and who isn’t becomes a moderators problem which is what NU probably doesn’t want