Question What’s the reason why this person is translating novels?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by OceanMagix, Mar 19, 2020.

1. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s nice having translated novels and we are all grateful for the novels and the people who translated them. Kudos to you all :blobicecreamlove:

But after going through one person’s website, I am Fucking Pissed Off With It!

Just now, I got interested in a novel and start to read it.

Let’s refer that person as ‘V’

If too long, you can just read the content under the red text. That’s pretty much the main reason why I created this thread anyway.

The ‘translations’
    After 2 chapters, to me, it feels like the person used MTL. And edited on it.
    MTL is already brain destroying.
    Editing the MTL somehow without understanding? = really crappy English that somehow can make sense and not make sense at the same time.

Sheesh.

Idk why people would do that. I mean, I saw edited MTL once, but turns out that translator usually does jap novels. The edited MTL was on his/her one? chinese novel...
    Nevermind, let’s just ignore V’s translations

The Ads
    [SPOILER="Little strike 2"]
    It’s not just clicking on the next chapter, it’s pressing anywhere on the screen.

Then, you’ll get an additional tab. Okay, okay fine, some ads to help generate a bit of revenue. Perhaps to help pay for the website?

You know what’s not good?

GETTING OPEN TAB ON SKETCHY ADS OF DUBIOUS CONTENTS!!!

Oh BTW, my pop up block shows interesting info.

Usually you’ll only get pop ups block (1)

On V’s site? The longer you stay, the higher the number goes. *Wonders why*

[/SPOILER]

THE FUCKING REASON WHY I CREATED THIS THREAD?

I saw a review V made. On the novel.

Okay fine, it can be considered as criticism of certain issues that looks overdone with the novel.

But as the fucking person who choose to translate this novel, shouldn’t you also try to recommend what’s recommendable about the novel????

Out of multiple lines of review, there’s only 2 (1 1/2?) sentences in positivity?

———————
    After typing out all this, looks like for me, 1+1 +1 (issues) = a snowball of anger
    Feels better after ranting about it.

———————
    So, for what reason did V translated the novel? Since i didn’t seem to see any statement why V is translating novels? And totally not helping Vself to get more readers with such a review. (Hmm, reverses psychology?)

Oh yeah, the review was on a novel that V has completed the translation.
    So, wondering what kind of reviews would V make for the rest after ‘translating’ them?

Perhaps should try translating it to the native language first instead?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    SquadCammander354 and LaDyViL like this.
  2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    So who’s V?

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  3. OceanMagix

Reading List:
    Link
    That translator

4. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea but who? Link the site please.

Also I’ve translated manga and novels for fun. Novels didn’t last long because there’s too much work for not that much fun (for me at least).

5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    who's v +1

6. OceanMagix

Reading List:
    Link
  7. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
  8. OceanMagix

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m kinda piss off after everything added up

Well, the review was pretty much what triggered it anyway.

9. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link

Not necessarily, when I translate something to my native language from a third language I can sort of speak, and if I translate the third language into English- my English translation would be of better and more detailed quality than in my native language. For example.

some people move countries for whatever reason in childhood and their second/third language is better than their first language. You should see my sis in law writing in my first language. I swear I feel like telling her to just send me pictures instead of typing sometimes.

10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    They’re probably doing it for fun and don’t care that much about each novel they’re translating. Especially since they’re translating a few different novels at the same time.

11. OceanMagix

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I see... the problem of language grammar/verb or lack off? ...
    I’m wondering if if you can have a better understanding of the original, would it help with understanding what you are doing with the translation.

There seems to be only one posting id tho?

Well, but it seems like the person is getting money for it? It just kinda feels like that’s not a good thing to do when looking at the standard of the site overall.
    The ads doesn’t help either...

Meloman likes this.
  12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    @Wujigege :blobpeek:

Wujigege likes this.
  13. OceanMagix

Reading List:
    Link
  14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

OceanMagix likes this.
  15. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I’m using they because I don’t know their gender. Yea they could also be doing it for money... considering they have a patreon and are running ads that’s quite likely.

Getting USD and converting it over to a weaker currency is quite lucrative. That’s another reason why you see a lot of translators translating into English instead of their native language.

16. OceanMagix

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahahaha *rofl*
    Lol, not this time :blobrofl:

o_O
    O.O
    *sigh*

elengee likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Please stop referring to people without an understanding of the source language, translators
    It is an insult
    They are just editors using a tool

Haha given that most of my translators are native in two languages, it was not going to be me.
    I did have my fair of stinkers but I have fired the incompetent editors posing as translators
    Cheers!

elengee likes this.
  18. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're not trans, are they cis? :blobwoah:

Wujigege likes this.
  19. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @OceanMagix at first I started translation on elementary os, a Linux distributor which base on the Ubuntu OS. on https://l10n.elementary.io/projects/website/ this sites.
    Than I work on some translations locally, just some forums when agency applying for people jobs to work overseas. the pay was not really good, I was just replace the OTR and some MTL.

after then I meet my friend from hongkong china, who is a japanese to english translator. @KanadeTenshi who's translating Outbreak Company, at first I thought he was soso, release was one chapers every 2 weeks. and after one or two years when I saw him again he was translating To Be a Power in the Shadows! and that's 1 chapters per day, at first I thought he is translating quite slowly. but when I watch how he translate the chapters though streaming, it really inspired me. It's the journey of how some some who is not the native language of both Japanese nor English and manage to translate both and manage to From a beginner to professional. He even go back to his previous works and edits all the grammatical errors when his English gets better.

I was surprise at the speed of his translation when He was doing it on 2 word docs. complecting 2000 words on 1 hours with chitchatting with us. which distractions really easily harm the rate of translations. but he do it so naturally, as if as he was breathing. The sentence is not the best but it really makes us enjoy the story much better than the fancy lines. Yes, his translations and sentence structures are targeted at the audience.
    upload_2020-3-20_7-10-54.png
    if you look though the comments you can really see the complain of the novel after I have picked it up. just a short screen short of my websites.
    upload_2020-3-20_7-14-15.png
    hide names due to our sites extreme privacy policy

Video of tenshi-sensei's stream on translations. note translation is a boring process.

Of cause as one of people who inspired by Tenshi-sensei we follow his foot steps. when Tenshi sensei needing to leave in 2018, November. I who is a English to Chinese Translator and a groups of people on Tenshi's server who are also inspired by Tenshi-sensei Spearheaded the chapter 113 with Tenshi sensei's help. As some one who have never learned Japanese Past 3 years old. (yes my mother is a Japanese speaker but I never learn it due to my lack of interest and My parent think it's a bit too much to teach a child 2 language so......) In fact chapter 113 was translated in partnership with Tenshi-sensei. I must say We have a good motivation, but the Journey is thorny. As many people have read our translations, I think they all know that our translation are a failure. Even with negative comments, we have people who support up on Tenshi sensei's discord groups. People who shares our burdens and help out in the translations. Facing the Difficulty of Writing in two different language that's non-of your main language. It just hurts.

Edit: I even pickup the book that My Japanese learning books parents pass down to me.
    [​IMG]

I as a the Leader of the team, I am from central china. And I have little education and is not really considered literate in china. I didn't finish my high-school when I was young. and I took the first step towards becoming the translator for 2 language that is out of my comfort zone.

The second translator on our groups. is from Macau which also inspired by Tenshi sensei, have not encountered Japanese before, and it's not really good in English either. Who also took the first step to help sharing the burden the with us. Sacrificing the brain-cells helping us translate older Japanese dialect that only appearing in the historical drama. (that's not Kasai dialect but edo period courtesans dialect)

We are also thankful to our 4 editor who have help us, they have totally zero experience to begin with. And base on our poor English

and specially thanks to Many people helping US along the journey where your most needed.
    specially shout out to @kenar sensei, @krrizis sensei, @Fossil, @KanadeTenshi sensei, @Mabbo san and People who help out in discord groups. And Many, Many local Japanese from vocaloid and vocaloid club discord groups, and my amazing team below, although the jurney is full of up and down. Although we try to translate as Tenshi like as possible. But I'm really thankful for your who give Us a hell of a time.
    upload_2020-3-20_7-55-39.png
    upload_2020-3-20_7-55-53.png

This is really meaningful for Me, and I think it is too for everyone in the team. It really make me appreciate and know the difficulty of being a translator. Honestly Translation is a boring work, and It really give you headache when you have 1 full paragraph of edo period courtesans dialect where it's impossible to translates. knowing that, I always help out in the Translation conner when Ever I can as a native Chinese speaker.
    And really Pushed me to write that thank you comments below every chapters I have read.

Thank you to Black Box Internet Service who sponsor our sites. You are really selfless, thank you for all the maintenance, Backup, and Support during the server outages. And thank you for the Server upgrades, over the years. I really you are the backbone of our teams who even support up even when our teams have dissemble. I am really happy that you sport us in an random forums, and really took in to account of our selfish request. We will still be wondering about in random forums for keeping our contents from deleted from moderators if not for you generosity.

And thank you for all my readers who have to due with our horrible grammar mistakes. All of you who support us in comments and people who criticism. And to the current translation group that took over our projects, sorry for the inconvenience that we cause. And thank you for continuing our legacy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Vaeleri and Fossil like this.
  20. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not worthy.

xiazixin likes this.