What advices do you have for a student?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Azteccc, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Azteccc

Azteccc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanna know your thoughts because I am not too sure that working real hard at school will really get me somewhere. I am aware that I am lazy but studying now makes me feel sick.

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    it allows you to choose desk jobs unless you are fine working labor jobs all your life or live in America where education is trash tier

3. Azteccc

Azteccc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for replying. That's eye-opening.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    While grades in school aren't that important, and passing is passing regardless the method. But you shouldn't take that as an excuse to be lazy.

You know the saying of you can't teach an old dog new tricks? That is true, the older you get, the more you get tied down by things and less time you have to learn, it also becomes harder to learn as you grow older. Even your perception of time changes and weeks and years go by faster.

So if you don't plan to focus on school, then focus on what you need for your planned career seriously. Don't take it as an excuse to laze around, cause the time you will lose, you will never get back and regret it all your life.

Azteccc and Bad Storm like this.
  5. Azteccc

Azteccc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand. Thank you. Did it go well for you?

6. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    basically, it's like a soldier job changing to a magic class job. without education, you are only allowed physical jobs. even alchemists and herbalists' jobs need knowledge. you can also go the theological route priests and clerics don't need much school knowledge but you need to study the bible, Qoran, or any other scripture of the religion of choice.

7. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean actually sick or just a figure of speech?
    I'd say you don't need university, especially for IT. Just learn coding for free(it's not easy!) and start with the most basic job you can get.
    Ah yeah if your university isn't even free like in USA don't bother.
    Try different jobs until you find a decent one where you can progress, alternatively you can get certificates but those are mostly for those without experience that want to get a skilled job. I mean you don't need certs if you already have 3 years of work experience.

8. Azteccc

Azteccc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I am invested This is an interesting way to put it. Thank you so much.

More like literal I guess. Just the thought of having classes tomorrow fills me with dread and anxiety. I feel sick.
    Thank you for your advice!

9. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you want to do in the future? Maybe try to learn things that relate to that?

10. Azteccc

Azteccc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More like literal I guess. Just the thought of having
    I want to read lots of books unhindered by responsibilities. And a house with a courtyard.
    Guess I really got to work hard.
    Thank you so much!

11. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm as I said, you can learn coding for example for free but most people are just too lazy to do it. You can learn anything while having a min wage job but again most people would feel exhausted or just wanna have fun instead of studying to get the job they want.

12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    If your at the last year of your school I'd say it's pretty much worth to focus on getting good grades...cause that's the only hurdle that really matters.

Once you are in uni then it's all more on practical application, group workings .. academics are probably worth only 50% of the total grading...

So kid if you want to join a good uni without any hassles I suggest you to push yourself to work just for this term

If you are not in the final year....just don't fail:blobjoy:...and start confirming your stream after school...back track it from where you want to be 30 years or 10 years from now and you should be good..

Ps: it's very important that you know what is required for the career you dream of...just don't blindly wait for joining uni to think about it...cause it'll be a bit late then.

Deleted member 348269 likes this.
  13. Azteccc

Azteccc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm kinda considering to do what you just said. Thanks again.

I think I got in in a good uni. I am just scared I guess. WAHAHAHAHAHA maybe all the return back to time stories just kinda messed up my brain. Thanks!

Deleted member 348269 likes this.
  14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    But do you know what do you want to study or what job in the end you want?
    If you don't as most people don't, then just start working any job that's not horrible and then go to uni when you know what you want, say at 22.

15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you dont like studying, go and do part time jobs that dont disturb your studying. Accumulate experience in everything you can grasp. See what the society and the world of men offer to you.
    And graduate with the best you can.
    Then either go find a better job or open/create your own job with all the experience you alr find.
    I mean, look at my country's president, he was a furniture seller then store owner before he went to the politic and now the top of the ladder, he's the youngest too!

16. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't procrastinate. Too many do it at last min, and stuck when unable meet deadline.

If you feel sick of studying, is it really feeling sick and unhealthy, or like burned out and cannot focus kind? Maybe might need get some help then.

Congrats on getting into a good uni. Don't think you'll fail immediately, that always bring you down before one even makes the first step.

Many would always say don't go to uni. It depends what major you choose. Some majors are useless unless you're the very talented. Some majors like comp sci, IT, medical stuff are very hot. A degree still checks lot of places. Its not that you won't find jobs without one, but it can definitely be much harder and may not be the one you'd liked. Ik a few regret not finishing or coming back to college to finish where they left off, and some do it to gain promotion for work.

It also depends on what uni you choose; some are more geared towards teaching, some are more geared towards researching. Some are also skyrocketing expensive and many come out with huge college debt, some are manageable depending how one manage ones own finances.

Studying needs nice focus place. Don't take all lower classes and only have upper classes left, upper major classes harder so it is recommended to mix light and hard classes. This is if one already knows what one is doing at a uni some don't so they do all their lower class stuff first.

Most important in uni is not just focusing on academics, but yet get some work experience in. Some working and studying at same time. Preferably related work experience to your major, but everyone has to start somewhere right? I think quite few people just focus on academics and when graduate its lot harder find jobs. If you got work experience + academics it helps way more.

Find a site that has good ratings on professor can help give you an idea if you need rearrange your schedule or pick other classes. Or if you hear from someone, that is also good too. How good a professor is depends how much one can learn and how hard it is to pass that class.

Lastly, it ain't just about grades. It is important get concepts down. If you can tryself learning into other related things too. Like coding as some recommended. My major didn't had much depth into coding, but we did focus on sql but more, but you can branch out on your own time. If got no work experience projects you've built can help on resume; or related classes.

Finished uni just not too long ago, hated it towards end but it helped and glad I finished it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2021
    Azteccc likes this.
  17. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be hard to study consistently in the first place. However, I just change the way how I approach studying in the first place.

The first time I read my books, I just approach them like I would be like I was googling something. I don't put any pressure on trying to really understand it, but rather just approach it with the same relaxed, mild curiosity of a google search.

Another way to do it is whenever you are starting to approach your studying a little more intensively, just break it up into segments throughout the day. If a chapter is 50 pages, don't read all 50 pages in one sitting. Just take it in 30 minute bites throughout the day, so you can also do other things that you need to do anyway.

TLDR; The point is just keeping your brain relaxed and not stressing yourself out. Be patient with yourself and try not to overwhelm yourself. I find not stressing out about all this new information at once helps me understand it better anyway.