What category would you put the gate magic under?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Ai chan, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, we're talking about two different magics:
    1) The town gate, home gate, or teleportation magic
    2) Summoning magic, that summons something from another place to the caster or sends something away from the caster

Then there's the pocket space magic, which allows you to store stuff in a pocket universe.

Ai-chan knows that number 2 is also called conjuration, but under what element would it be?

One can argue that all of them are space magic, but under what category would space magic be?

EDIT:
    Basically, it's elemental-based and rune-based. But this is not set in stone. I may make changes as I go along.

The elements are:
    1) Fire
    2) Water
    3) Air
    4) Earth

Then there's also light (holy) and darkness (corruption) elements.

The runes are based on ancient norse runes, but this is for ritual magic, not for sorcery.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. Haxagen

Haxagen Fallen's|Addicted to Gacha

Reading List:
    Link
    If I had to venture a guess, it would be under the Void Element?

3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Those sound like space magic, but I'm not sure what system you're using.

4. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed i would say void magic

5. The Everdistant Utopia

The Everdistant Utopia Honorary Maou | Part Time Writer | Crau's

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that mostly depends on the magic system you're going with... With no information, it's not really possible to give good advice.

Well, but probably will have to agree with @Haxagen on that generic guess.

6. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    So, imo
    1- Should be space manipulation, because something goes THrough space.
    2- as for this one, you said it; summoning. This thing shouldn't be a space type magic, [according some games] rather just a magic that is used to randomly summon something, after that placing a tracker is possible on some summoned thingies [according to some novels].

Pocket space magic is also called storage magic I think. Well in games bag or storage is used a lot of times.

Does space magic have an specific element?? If so, I'm curious to know..
    As for void, should be same thing. But in case void magic can be different, in my guess void is more like erasing something......

7. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Catelogy 1 is dimension-bending type space magic, while the 2nd catelogy & Pocket space/ inventory spaces are the cross-dimension space magic, basicly you open a wormhole to designated destination on the other dimension bubble. The 1st type is you bending between destination into 1 point in dimensional paper.
    If to put in an example: 1st type is the shortest route from point A to point B on a paper, while the 2nd is the shortest route( contact point) between 2 point on 2 different paper together.

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, it's elemental-based and rune-based.

The elements are:
    1) Fire
    2) Water
    3) Air
    4) Earth

Then there's also light (holy) and darkness (corruption) elements.

The runes are based on ancient norse runes, but this is for ritual magic, not for sorcery.

9. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    Call it void seem very a chuuni thing to do.
    Pocket space magic is a cheap/lazy way to explain/have an inventory system.
    Someone consider time as an element so space should be too.
    There are so many type of summoning that your description is pretty generic. Like we can argue that a lot of magic is under summoning.

10. The Everdistant Utopia

The Everdistant Utopia Honorary Maou | Part Time Writer | Crau's

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in that case, I'd say either Air, because you could explain the transportation as the wind carrying it, I guess? Conversely, it could also be Earth, as it's basically moving things from one place on land to other. The last possibility is Darkness, since it could be explained as corruption of the space on one side and the other, with both linked somehow...

It's the best suggestion I can give without making any change to the system you already have.

Ai chan likes this.
  11. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Its arguably could be light (not holy) magic for gate, teleport, etc. In some scifi, instead of folding space they convert matters into light energy to move between two spots in light speed.

Or air magic. There's possibility ancient people thought air as empty/space?

Summoning is more like homing/guided one way warp in my opinion.

Ai chan likes this.
  12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    In my system I have things like this:

Dark + Air = Space
    Dark + Air + Water = Void
    Light + Air + Water = Dimension

For gate type transportation, I lean towards dimension (light based)
    For summoning, I lean towards space or void depending on if the summoning can be interrupted or not (darkness based)
    For storing stuff I lean towards space

As for how I differentiate dimension and void and space. Dimension has travel time but isn't as limited by distance. Void and space have no travel time, but consumption increases the further the distance.

My system is also elemental and rune based. I use the concept of magic manipulating reality to your will(chaos to order) while runes bend reality(order to chaos).

Ai chan likes this.
  13. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Teleportation would be in earth element, as they would encompass the space of the world.
    2) Would depend on what would you summon.

Basically, Space would be under the Earth element.

14. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I went with basic elements I might go with 9 Elements: Water, Fire, Earth, Air, Light, Dark and Spirit

I would put Summoning (spirits) as well as all magics that somehow affect the Mind under the Spirit element.
    And wormhole like Portals that people can go through under Dark Element. (very high level)
    And extra dimensional storage spells would go under Darkness too. (mid to high level)
    And "line of sight" Teleportation spells under Light Element. (mid to high level)

And non-line of sight teleportation might be possible by combining the Light Teleport with low level mini Dark Portals.

And while the first four elements might be seen by most "ignorant" people as just those elements, I might consider them in truth being about the states of matter... Solid, Liquid, Gas and Plasma...

Ai chan likes this.
  15. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Space is almost universally considered its own "element," or a combination of all elements (which together make up the fabric of space). If you're absolutely determined to slot spacial magic under one of the four, Air is the only thing I can really see it fitting under, and I have to say that doesn't really make sense.

If you're using runes, perhaps spacial magic can require runes of all four elements....

16. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Air is various gasses, its substances in space, not the space it self... Space by it self, is just empty, no?

And empty space, if it truly is empty, is perfectly and absolutely dark, no?

17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    If space is all elements than what is time? Space Time can be all elements though.

18. Drevart

Drevart [Eternal illusion][Tea lover][MC RLOAT]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are 100% going to use your system given at the end and not adding Void element, then it should beunder earth element category.

There are two reasons why I think so:

1) Dealing with space can be considered as messing with gravity, and the only element from default four which can alter it is Earth element. And creating portals/wormholes is basically an extreme change of gravity.

2) Change in gravity is caused by the mass of an object and the only element which deals with the mass of an object is Earth. (Example: Any body can become a black hole if compressed strong enough. Like even a pebble, but you'll have to compress it to the size less than photon I belive)

BUT: Gate magic then will be a VERY high-class magic since it needs an extreme change in space to do it.

And if you want I can try to describe how each of those three spells will work.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Ai chan likes this.
  19. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've played an trpg with the 4 elements, in it gates fell under god magic.

20. Joseph08

Joseph08 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a tricky one...