Discussion What compliment did this Japanese seiyuu give when writing about seeing the trailer for this dub?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Kadmos1, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -Source: twitter.com/seichiro0521/status/1306955975262220288
    -Context: Seiyuu Seiichirou Yamashita (Kosame in "Appare-Ranman!") saw a trailer for the Eng. dub of "Appare-Ranman!"
    -Google Translate gave it this outrageous translation (I know that the Japanese hash tag
    -So, what compliment did this Japanese seiyuu give when writing about seeing the trailer for this Eng. dub? BTW, just before the hash tags for this show, he used the emoji for being happy with tears of joy but that didn't really work for me copy-pasting.

Over 70 re-tweets, many of them obviously from Japanese accounts, and over 575 likes means that his tweet is trending.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, but it is either compliment or sarcasm :hmm:

3. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that most Japanese people might be indifferent on foreign language versions of anime but the Japanese seiyuu for Mikasa complimented the performance of what she had seen of AoT in Eng. here: animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-24/interview-attack-on-titan-trina-nishimura-and-yui-ishikawa/.119152. So, it is possible that Yamashita-san was not a fan of the Eng. dub but was kissing up or being nice, sure. However, I tend to lean more towards him enjoying what he heard!

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    My Japanese is rusty, and I’m not going to bother looking up the words I don’t know, but it sounds as though the writer thinks whatever it was was given nuance. If that’s true, he’s happy, if it isn’t, he hopes that the new small rain(???) is loved throughout the world.

Better ask @Gandire Alea or @Snowbun if you want a better translation. Either way, the message seems positive to me.

5. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Caitlin Glass (Winry in FMA), the Eng. dub director, was amazed to see the Japanese VA for Kosame acknowledge her work: twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/1307058522283216903. So, I think the seiyuu was legitimately complimenting the trailer.

Main cast list (3 main characters) for the Eng. dub: twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1306594668524650499. For those wanting to hear more non-White people in Eng. dubs of anime as the lead or supporting roles, check the dub out. For example, Lee George, a Black voice actor, is playing the lead and this is arguably his first big anime role. Also, Xanthe Huynh (Marianne in "Fire Emblem: Three Houses"), who is Vietnamese, is in her first Funimation dub role. She plays French babe Sofia but with a French accent in the Eng. dub.

In a Reddit thread asking the same thing, user "ohlookaregisterbutto" told me the following:
    Source: reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ivevnp.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have read it as Seiichirou Yamashita self deprecating their understanding of English, as in "I think you localization into English is subtle and good but my English might not be great so maybe I'm wrong, but even so I hope people love your work." That feels very Japanese.

7. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Kadmos1

英語ペラペラな小雨!?笑
    -- Eigo peraperana kosame! ? Emi
    芝居のニュアンスを汲んでくださってるような気がする…そうならば嬉しいし、そうでなくとも、新たな小雨として、世界中で愛されてほしい。
    -- Shibai no nyuansu o kunde kudasatteru yōna ki ga suru…-sōnaraba ureshīshi,-sōdenakutomo, aratana kosame to shite, sekaijū de aisa rete hoshī.
    アニメって凄い。世界平和だ…
    --Anime tte sugoi. Sekai heiwada…
    #天晴爛漫
    #AppareRanman
    --#appare ranman

A Kosame who fluently talks English!? *smile*

It feels like it captures the nuance of the play... So happy if it does, even if it doesn't, as a new Kosame, I want to be loved worldwide.

Anime is amazing isn't it. It's World Peace.

That's the rough translation. People could probably find better wording.

8. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Wonder if Japanese would be easier to translate if it was an alphabet-based language vs. special character-based language!