What diseases or illnesses make you sensitive to smell?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Walter vi Britannia, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm being really sensitive to any type of smell for some reason. I remember that some illnesses as well as pregnancy actually make you sensitive to smell. Though I'm a virgin so I don't think I'm pregnant...
    ...wait no, that doesn't matter, I'm a man!

Anyway, it's probably not that big of a deal. I am not having any other problem except for the slightest smell hitting me like a truck, making me lose my appetite. Though I'm fine with bread so I'm not really hungry...which I knew to be one of the types of food pregnant women who are being sensitive to smell can tolerate, so that helped. (I'm not really liking this comparison.)

Anyway, I'm quite dumb, most of the time I don't even realize I've been sick before the sickness passes. So maybe I'm ignoring something? I'm not really looking for any serious answers, the internet is not a good place to get medication...specially the forums of a novel site like this. lol
    If it gets serious, I'll check out a doctor tomorrow. But it's almost bedtime now so I'll ask about it here for the heck of it.

BTW, I've always been really sensitive to smells. Not that I'm good at sniffing things out, just that I have a clear dislike for certain smells...specially of certain condiments or food. To the extent that I once almost fainted at a store when I was young because I didn't realize where the smell was coming from so I was basically trapped in there...it took me a long time to realize that the outside was safe (probably because my mind was getting fuzzy with the lack of oxygen or because I'm an idiot).

But I can tell that something is clearly different now. Like, I'm a little too sensitive, like I can't take a deep breath, everything is contaminated with thin strands of disagreeable smells floating around. And this is bad cause those smells actually make me feel like I'd rather suffocate than stay any longer in here. I had never felt the desire to die more than at that store before, and it seems that feeling is coming back in short impulses now.

I mean, not really a desire to die, but the lack of fear of.
    Like, even when you're trying to kill yourself, you get scared and you might get shaky legs and wimp out, but at that moment I felt none of that...if I had to, I would've jumped off of a building without any fear. I didn't really have a desire to die...just a desperate desire to escape that smell at all costs. It's absolute torture to me. (Also, breathing through my mouth prevents the smell but my feeling of disgust keeps on increasing the more I breath that in with my mouth for some reason. I can't handle breathing it with my mouth for long...I feel like puking. Breathing through my nose doesn't make me feel like puking though, even though it smells horrible enough to make me kill myself. Also, it has always been food related stuff that got me so bad. Not any actual bad stuff like rot, fungus, or sewage.)

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    A Dirty Sanchez? :blobpeek:

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably a light cold, or maybe allergies

4. Nanashy

Nanashy Scarybun of Horror

Reading List:
    Link
    Males can have fake/sympathetic pregnancy, also might have a tumor growth called teratoma (this one is rarer on males, but still possible), and both can give pregnancy symptoms. As for other kinds of reasons of your sensitivity idk.
    It might be just psychological. It is not like there are no humans that are more sensitive in/with some things.

Kiss likes this.
  5. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Those things are common! From the way I said it it should be obvious this doesn't happen often. Also, allergies make you sensitive to smells? I didn't know that. Shouldn't there be some other symptoms with that at least? Just that?

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  6. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, no...that was a joke. I hope it isn't true. Anyway, I know there exists a lot of illnesses that make you sensitive to smells. One I'm personally familiar with is jaundice! I just wanted to know what other things there are that cause you to become sensitive. Viruses basically just make you sensitive, that's what they do, so this is nothing special...just that to me this particular symptom is extra bad since I was already bad with it to begin with.

7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I know, allergies symptoms varies from one person to another, for some the symptoms are light and can be unnoticeable but for others it can be quite a pain to deal with

8. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I was aware of that. But I didn't know this could be one of that. Anyway, I've never had an allergic reaction before (other than maybe pollen allergy) so I'm not sure about this. I don't know what I'm allergic to, but I'm pretty sure the things that are making me react like this are stuff I've interacted with a lot of times before.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Migraines, seizures...

Anra7777 likes this.
  10. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Food allergies or chemical sensitivities can cause this. A sensitivity can be acquired even if you’ve never reacted to that thing before. It can also be caused through combination. You can react to the two things together, but not separately. An illumination on diet, or dramatic reduction in anything with artificial smells is usually the best way to identify what the problem might be.

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  11. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    migraines and allergies.

Anra7777 likes this.
  12. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't that make you experience headaches though? I feel completely fine in the head...probably.

13. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Would probably explain why its always food related stuff, huh?
    That's nice to know. Allergies seem to be too much of a pain to consider now. Good thing I don't have any major allergies...or do I?
    Thanks.

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear that smelling toast out of the blue could mean you have a brain tumor.

It depends on the person. People with migraines can have their senses increased. When I have migraines, my sensitivity to light and to noise greatly increases.

15. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    do remember, allergies can be acquired. Or so i have been told, anyway. I had a friend who used so much deodorant that she became alergic to it, but maybe she just said it like that because it is easier to explain?

Anyway, maybe, unknown to you, you have had a sinus blocked up, and it is now free, making smells seem more distinct?

16. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that's concerning. I don't smell toast. It's just a condiment, a spice. That's what's bugging me. But it's probably not a big deal cause it's not coming out of nowhere...I actually came into contact with that spice a while ago. But the thing is, I've come into contact with that MULTIPLE times before. Like, more or less every dish my mother cooks has that in it. So I'm sure today is just a special case where I'm just a little too sensitive.

17. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a kid, passive smoking made me emit spit, gag and feel ill; I was quite allergic then too.

Nowadays I have felt ill and like puking every now and then, which happens either due small particle dust from my pc, or floating in my house, or (this is a groundless assumption) having woken up and stayed awake with will power for years.

What I mean with that is that when I rarely truly relax, I at times feel dizzy and like passing out... and I guess I do suddenly pass out when I decide to sleep.

Ergo being excessively tired and stressed despite normally not realizing it.

18. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that might be true if it IS an allergic reaction. Cause some of the stuff I'm not ok with, I think I wasn't always not ok with them. At one point I believe I was actually fine with those, but then it suddenly took a 180 degree turn. So maybe I did acquire some allergies along the way?

But if it's the second...I truly wish it isn't. I don't think I'd be able to live this way. I'd rather lose all sense of smell.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  19. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds like a problem you have always had. While on the other hand, today is feeling a bit special...a bit extra. So yours might be an active type of disease or illness that you always had. My reaction to anything with a smell today, I didn't always have it, and I don't think it's here to stay either.

20. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    if it is the second, i wouldn't worry if i were you, your body will adapt and it will go back to normal in a few days. The body is a lazy f*ck, and as soon as it can do less, it will.

it's the reason so many people are addicted to sleeping pills; after a while, the brain just stops making the substance that makes you sleepy, since the pills do the work anyway xo