What do you believe ? (Rape, Murder, Torture, ...)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AryaX, Jan 1, 2019.

?

What do you believe ?

1. Traumatic is worse than Death & There is afterlife

38.5%
  2. Death is worse than Traumatic & There is afterlife

3.8%
  3. Traumatic is worse than Death & Death is the end

38.5%
  4. Death is worse than Traumatic & Death is the end

19.2%
  1. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some seem to believe that Rape and Torture and such are worse than Murder.. Which makes me wonder.. Do you believe there is something for you after death ? like heaven, hell, reincarnation... or do you believe death is the end ?

In the poll "Traumatic" refers to things like Rape or Torture or any other Traumatic experience that might stay with people for the rest of their lives..

2. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    Trauma is worse than death because you would have to live with the experience for as long as you are alive. Even worse is when the trauma changes you (becoming abusive, becoming a pedo (priests in Catholic church that abused children were probably abused too), PTSD, becoming a vegetable, etc.)

Lirikan, Raneday, Beltran and 2 others like this.
  3. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i believe (atleast in novels) that rapists are worse than those who kill because you can kill for a reason like wanting to protect someone, meanwhile there isn't one positive thing rape can do

joey183 likes this.
  4. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO, yeah!
    A dead person can no longer suffer(as a living person cat I dunno if there really is an afterlife)

Sabruness likes this.
  5. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not that rape is worse than murder, it is that a rapist is worse than a murderer. The reason people are so appalled by rape is not the damage of the deed, but the depravity of the person who commits it.

Imagine it like this there are a buttload of reasons to commit murder, some of them are pretty fucked up like killing for pleasure, or out of spite. Others though are reasons that we can all relate to and understand, like killing in self defense, or killing for sustenance. There is no justifiable reason to rape or torture someone though, it is simply an act of depravity. A rapist is therefore always the worst of the worst, while a murderer might have been forced to kill, or could have done it by accident.

6. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what will happen after I die, but I'm thinking it will be like waking up or perhaps another adventure. Maybe when I die I will find out that this life was a dream to prepare me for the next, which is my true existence? Maybe nada.....but no matter what comes afterwards I do not want to regret who I am or what I've done in this life.

Silver Snake likes this.
  7. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither have any choice though.. whether there is some "quantum indeterminacy" or the universe is absolutely predictably deterministic.. there is no room for any real choice.. people do what their past and present circumstances dictate and at the end of the day, every action we ever take is "forced"

8. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    much more people wish for death than traumatic experiences according to my study (with no tests or anything)
    so statistically, just from the amount of people wishing for it death is better than Traumatic --> Traumatic is worse than Death.

well, for me it is according to the amount of traumatic experiences you/they experience. If there is hope that you may still have a half-happy life then death is worse, but if there isn't, then Traumatic is worse.

9. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    probably comes down to individual vs group. in the case of rape/torture the primary victim has to live with the events for life where as in the case of murder its not the victim but the friends and family that have to live with the pain.
    that mindset may have come about due to the inequality in judicial punishment. You commit one murder and depending on where you live that could get you the chair to life in prison whereas a rapist [if they have a good lawyer] could just get the judicial equivalent of a slap on the wrist.

Sabruness likes this.
  10. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Agony is always the worst thing so I go with Trauma

11. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if there is a correlation between the punishment rapist receive, and how we view them. I mean if they received 40 to 60 years, or got the death penalty I'm sure we would still be just as disgusted by them. Do you really think a large part of our hatred is due to how little rapist are punished, like some cosmic sense of karmic justice?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  12. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    People die when they are killed

Lazriser likes this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Death is quick and traumatic events last forever. While the afterlife is a relief.

Beltran and Sabruness like this.
  14. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Traumatic is indeed worse than death, sometimes, so much so, that at that point, death is like a mercy, a blessing, releasing you from this trauma. In today's society, rape doesn't count quite as highly, but there are many other fates that are far worse than anything one can imagine. At this point, the victim would be wishing they were dead.
    As for death, well, you just feel some pain, then you feel cold, then you go to sleep and that's it, you don't wake up, the end, finito, kapoosh, no more you.
    Though I do wish there was an afterlife, logically speaking, that's impossible. The concept of reincarnation seems very illogical and the concept of Heaven and Hell, the Underworld, etc. seems like the most pointless and most stupid concept anyone can think of and I question the sanity and intellect of the one who made them...

15. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Death is the end yet ironically we choose to live, to struggle , bear the pain..
    Clinging to dream and hope that tomorrow is a better day.

Sound philosophical, I can use this in my story! ! Wait! I don't write a story nor I am a writer/author!!!

Beltran likes this.
  16. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well think about it....how did you feel when you hear that powerful men had [raped/sexually assaulted] women for decades and was protected by the very institutions they worked at? Did you not hate them? Did you not feel disgusted that they could do what they did for years and get away with it, and at worst they just paid "hush money" to the victims? Now take a murder that has been on the run for years but was finally outted. Do you not feel 'relieved' cause you know that we got that s.o.b. and now he's going to pay. In the first example your disgusted/hatred outweighs your relief because somewhere in the back of your mind you know that more men have done/ will do and get away with these acts whereas the second example your relief outweighs your disgust/hatred because you know that even tho X amount of people have died/suffered Justice will prevail.

17. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never been raped nor personally know anyone who has.. and my experience of "torture" is limited to being the subject of a school yard bully, so my first hand experience is admittedly fairly limited..

But I do believe that as long as you're alive, there is a change things could get better.. All my memories exist as physical structures in my brain and as such, they could all change or be destroyed.. Of course, bad experiences tend to surface in your mind, again and again and re-living them like that will reinforce those memories.. But ultimately, there is no experience so bad that a memory of it would violate the laws of physics and become indestructible, it can be forgotten and overcome, so long as you continue to live and gain new memories.

But Death as I see it, is the end of me.. Sure that means there won't be any suffering for me anymore.. but there won't be anything good either.. or even hope of things getting better.. (is "hope" good or bad?) There won't be ANYTHING at all in the absolute sense of the word, ever again.. and that to me.. seems worse than a bad state that is hard to recover from.. no matter how bad and how hard..

18. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a big trouble indeed in a lot of places around the world.

I think some of it is due to the absurdities of tiny sentences when rapists are punished but only a part.

On the whole, rape is so much worse because it's directly traumatic and long lasting (in many ways) as opposed to death which is either instant or very, very short termed.

19. jefferypendragon

jefferypendragon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Goblin Sleuth: Murder by definition is the homicides with malice. You are comparing homicide which is not always unlawful to rape which is always unlawful...

Trauma can help create a life that is worse then death, but in general trauma can be healed even if it leaves scars and death can not be healed. Sometimes trauma can even make someone better eventually, death can not make someone better, only the world sometimes..

Rape, as in coercive sex has in the past had evolutionary purpose, as in outbreeding in small and or isolated communities, which improved long term viability.. This does not excuse rapist in anyway but the idea of coercive sex being illegal, which makes it rape, is a byproduct of advanced civilization.. Murder has never played an evolutionary purpose unto itself, even though it can be justified or understood a whole lot more then rape in most cases.
    Murder is worse than rape or trauma in general and anyone who claims different from personal experience who does not plan to off themselves lack any credibility, because by living you are passively saying that life is better than death even with your trauma.

20. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    You always have a choice. I person put a gun in your hand and tells you to kill X person or they will kill you or your loved ones their 8s still a choice. They may be shitty choices but you still have options.

Not necessarily true, the friends and family can be just as affected by a close friend being brutally raped and or tortured as if they were killed outright. Honestly there are some people I would be totally indifferent about if they were to be killed. However they only people I wish to see raped or tortured are those who would willingly commit those acts.
    Judicial punishment is more about collective moral then anything. In some cultures a person is just as likely to receive the death penalty for murder as they would if they raped a virgin. In today's culture rape isn't as bad as murder mainly because the person survives and due to the fact most of those that are habitual rapist are people in powerful positions. Also because of our patriarchal and frankly misogynistic society, things like women's rights and opinions were mostly ignored and in a lot of cases call into doubt. So if a women wanted judicial recourse, they would need a male advocate to seek any form of justice.

This is a good example of using sophistry to argue moral ambiguity. Both horrible crimes against humanity imho. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, both crimes merit permanent removal from the general population.

Beltran and AliceShiki like this.