Discussion What do you guys do when no books or shows hit?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hamski, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in one of those zones where every time I try to pick up a book, I get bored easily or hate it immediately. It's the same situation with any TV shows, anime, manga, or movies as well, where nothing seems to catch my eye. "Already seen a show like that", "this manga is just like that other manga", or when you have something that has the right formula, it is either inexplicably messed up or just doesn't pull you in like shows or reading material before. I seem to no longer get that excitement I used to feel. In summary, nothing seems to be hitting for me at the moment. I'm sure a lot of you have had periods of time like this where nothing hits, so what do you guys do when this happens? Obviously, going outside is probably not the best idea at the moment, so if you guys have any recommendations for your favorites in each medium or other ideas in the meantime that's very much appreciated! I'd still like to hear what you all would do in normal times as well though so I can stock up on some ideas.

MMWO likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scour NU and mangadex for something that might spark my interest while posting on NUF like this. Do I find anything worth giving a shot? Not usually. But it sure helps while away time until I get back into the mood for reading. :blobpats:

Hamski likes this.
  3. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are not interested in reading novels and books, it is better not to force yourself to read such books because in that way you will never be able to grow an interest in that.

When you feel that you are curious to read a book or a novel, then go for that otherwise do what genuinely interests you. Just like how I like to practice boxing or swimming to relax my mind.

Hamski likes this.
  4. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, getting along with my obligations, socializing and chatting with friends or anonymous online friends, going into other media like 9gag, reddit, youtube, going into hobbies like instruments, music, dancing, working out etc.

and just recently due to what you describe as "everything not hitting", I went on a spree and just recently finished researching lots and lots of opinions, reviews, ratings, lists of whatever book title I come across in a page here in NU. Also, I went out of what I'm used to and made accounts on tons of novel sites in which i found gems.

Try broadening your horizons and your options. You can also be at peace at the feeling of boredom and not having any fire under your arse.

Also, maybe my rec reading list "Pinnacle Novels of Quality!" (call me shameless it's fine lolol) might be of help as I experienced the same situation an uncountable amount of times, and this month perhaps daily.

Hamski likes this.
  5. cherryblossomsinsummer

cherryblossomsinsummer The Midnight Sun

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not alone honey, I'm currently in the exact same situation as you. I feel like there aren't any good books left since I've read all the good ones, anime or manga nowadays doesn't pique my interest and I find myself rewatching old ones. Moreover, I've never liked drama or movies so I really have no idea what to do. I guess the only good thing is that I get on discord calls with my friends every day. We talk about random stuff, and honestly, it helps me a lot in various ways. Oh, and we play genshin :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

Hamski likes this.
  6. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Sometimes you just need some time away.

Maybe you're just tired, burnt out, or are looking for a relaxation that you can't seem to find in novels now. There are tons of reasons, but forcing yourself too much is a way to get more sick of the stuff you usually love and even literally feel sick and negative.

7. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try out some different genres you usually avoid, or a different medium, like webtoons if you only read manga.

Hamski likes this.
  8. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This. Taking a break helps. No need to worry about it, just go back to it when you feel like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2020
  9. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    When there be nothing to read anymore, I write

Hamski likes this.
  10. PenelopeEckart_

PenelopeEckart_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is me rn. Haha
    What I do is I look for those 'independent' websites which has original novels they upload exclusively on that site, because there are a bunch of novels out there that you can't find on novelupdates yet.

Hamski likes this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    there is hit, but it can't be shot at the moment, meaning there some book this cat want to read but it behind paywall lol~

anyway there plenty of video this cat watching, mostly history, some astronomy trivia, what if situation ranges from science fiction to pure dumb fun, crime case, mystery case, supernatural, comedy, talent contest compilation... ect~
    the only downside is it eat data like waterfall lol~
    this cat also still have some video games~ there also house chores... nah later~ what it called again? proscanating? hmmm no no that wrong spell oh well~
    Bothsleep.png

Hamski likes this.
  12. clamityemperor

clamityemperor Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I get sick of light novels, web novels, anime and manga then immediately run to anime fanfics. They are nice change of phase
    just a random recommendation of anime fanfic that I like

Demon king and demon emperor (fate zero x code geass) (lelouch x fem oda nobunage)
    As expected the confession they want is wrong (oregairu x love is war)
    Archdevil's Contractor (Youjo senki X overlord)
    His Britannia (code geass fanific)
    Time Trax of the DEAD (Highschool of dead) (Complete)
    God Slaying Blade Works (Fate x campione)
    Delinquent Dragon Emperor (DXD fanfic)
    Silly Songbird (DXD fanfic)
    Re:Zero Watching Him Die Again and Again (Re zero)
    A Beako Story: Will You Put Me First? (Re zero)

Moreover, I recently found the novel which is quite unpredictable (so far) that novel name is 'You like me, not my daughter?!'

Hamski likes this.
  13. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    Just take a break. Consider doing your other hobbies in the meanwhile. Start exercising too since you’re stuck inside.

14. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea i get that
    Ive been in tat phase w anime since 2016 and havent touched it since but thats also cuz most japanese plots are rince repeat w same beta male or some edgy chunni and an insipid plot that makes weebs wet their panties

cook rice or something

Hamski likes this.
  15. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    Back to gaming. Maybe aim for unfinished achievements. Recently though, I've been getting into Hades, which has contributed quite a lot of play time for a cheap price.

MMWO and Hamski like this.
  16. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch random videos until I get bored then back to reading. \(ϋ)/

Hamski likes this.
  17. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm into video games now specifically Genshin Impact. Try gaming and then when you get bored switch back to novels, anime, manga, netflix, or whatever.

18. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Do something productive, that usually works