Discussion What Do You Look for in a reverse harem novels?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Qfaea, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Qfaea

Qfaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As an amateur author and a reverse harem enthusiast, making a good reverse harem novel is a dream. But I know how hard it is to make one. From balancing or the male lead and female protagonists to make the plot actually work. What do you think is the most important aspect in reverse harem? What's the most frustrating things you have read in novels? What are you tired of and what do you prefer? I really want to hear all kind of opinion, so please don't be scared to answer

Liya likes this.
  2. isecai

isecai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really like smut in reverse harem.

An overarching plot is necessary for me, even if it's only some slow-life worldbuilding events, but anything other than the relationships.

Depending on ending with poly or not, the balance and dynamics between harem members are important too. It's not fun if they're just fighting with each other to win over MC. Maybe they can deepen their relationships too so that they can make peace with the fact that they have to share MC in the end. and a fujoshi like me can imagine the reverse harem members having good time with each other lol. If it's going to end with poly, there's better be a reason why it can't be OTP instead. XD

Probably will add something later haha.

reagents 11, pocketbear and Cosmic_ like this.
  3. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    to hell with reverse harem....if its Female MC go yuri!!!if genderbend then go full blown yuri or be like "The Guild's Cheat Receptonist"......

Night Ghost and Cosmic_ like this.
  4. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Double Penetration :blobnosebleed:

MiraLegion likes this.
  5. asdf123

asdf123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    10 guys no lube

MiraLegion likes this.
  6. samjack

samjack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am disappointing when authors to fill chapters with harem because they do not have anything to write about plot.
    For example Everyone Else is a Returnee ,just destroy everything

7. Okura Hatsu

Okura Hatsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the smut in reverse harem too.

I like slow building relationships a little fight for the MC not like half of the work made of fights for the MC.

I hate silly misunderstandings like those that you know are imposible or if you seriously questioned the IQ of the characters.

I love when the harem pamper the MC.

pocketbear and Cosmic_ like this.
  8. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The simplest way to make a reverse harem is this: The reverse harem should come as a consequence of the plot, not because it is the plot.

9. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, so I've never read any reverse harem/polyandry, but I've read a lot of harems, non-harem romances, and novels set in an otome world with the reverse harem "protagonist" of the otome being an antagonist or side-character or annoyance of the MC(often times villianess). If I had to give an opinion on what I think such novel should have to be good is to have a capable, strong, and maybe even independent MC. There is no way that I could see a pure, weak, frail, and naive(pure white lotus) MC being fought over and ending up with the polyandry route. If the MC isn't the one dominating the relationship or holding the cards and in the higher position, there's no way the harem members/guys will agree to share.

I'd also feel that it shouldn't follow your JP harems where it's kinda just them one-dimensional falling in love and instantly agreeing to harem route. I'd prefer CN or KR harem feel. So there should be some competition and an ultimate reason it can and will have to go polyandry. I'd also like in any harem/reverse harem romance for the romance to not be the center focus and for things to gradually progress that way. I'd like each guy to have some character and depth as well as the guys to be gradually introduced one by one over time instead of in bulks. A good balance of romance not as the focus and the gradual development of character introduction would be if there was a reverse harem adaptation/fanfic/version of The Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady or even a version where multiple guys are added for reverse harem like a version of Side Character Transmigrations: The Final Boss is No Joke or Divine Doctor: Daughter of the First Wife. I'd also feel that a good example from what I've heard(not read) as a good reverse harem/polyandry route example would be The End Of The World’s Poisonous Mom And Monster Baby.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. Alina Moktan

Alina Moktan LaLisa Stole My Heart

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reverse harem because of captivating crown prince and the end of world poisonous mom and monster baby.
    I Love the way there are no second male lead syndrome. Because everyone end up with mc. I hope we get more polyandry novel. There are lot of untranslated good reverse harem novel like captivating crown prince with strong indifference mc. Prefer reverse harem more

lolilolinepu, Cosmic_ and Kanna Rose like this.
  11. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want a continuation on Maria from Hell.
    That Oneshot was just too good to stop there...

12. Kanna Rose

Kanna Rose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am into reverse harem and one to one but prefer more reverse harem than one to one. I feel boring reading one to one novel. I lost interesting because sometime male lead are annoying and feel he doesn't deserved mc, the way he treated her as if she was interested toyed.

Reverse harem novel make me more interesting and excited. We get to see different type male leads for example cold, tsundere, yandere, possessive, innocent iceberg, Doctor, prince, general, ministers, Killer, business.

Okura Hatsu likes this.
  13. Okura Hatsu

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree 100% with you.
    I will love to see a mix between JP and CN reverse Harem. Strong independent MC and cute overly sweet (kick ass harem) that is the only thing a miss in CN novel the Harem is so OP and they are or overly mean with the MC or they are so proud that they are not capable to stop being mega tsundere with the MC. A little tsundere is cute but they get to a level that you just want the MC to forget that dude!

Kanna Rose and isecai like this.
  14. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Traps. All male characters need to be traps in a reverse harem *nod nod* or the protagonist actively turns her reverse harem into traps *nod nod*

Okura Hatsu likes this.
  15. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran JP Translator and Author

Reading List:
    Link
    Lurking around as I haven't read any completed reverse harem novel yet, so I can't be sure what should be done to make a satisfying enough reverse harem novel... wanted to write one too in the future if possible. Let me lurk and plant my pawprints here first. XD

16. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I love it when male tsunderes(and also female) are done right. It doesn't take much to make a great tsundere. Instead of doing some arrogant, cold, selfish, abusive, superficial, lustful, and overly-possessive tsundere, just think of making them not being honest with their feelings or having trouble expressing their care, worry, and love. I hate it when they are just a scummy j*ckass or a b*tch (Tsunderes aren't misunderstood, they're just b*tches).

Don't make it stockholm syndrome or the MC a huge M or horny idiot. I hate it when you just end up hating them. Also dial down on the misunderstandings. Make it so they are nice people that despite their words, their actions show their true thoughts. Harold from My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending is my favorite tsundere. There's also that current anime with a tsundere ML, Akkun to Kanojo, which is cute.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Fuyuneko, isecai and Okura Hatsu like this.
  17. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    What do i look in reverse harem, eh...

:blobthinkingsmirk::whistle::whistle:

...gangbang...

*run away

18. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    Yuri all the way

19. Ophis

Ophis 『God Slayer』 『Dragon God』 『Harem Seeker』

Reading List:
    Link
    Women

20. Okura Hatsu

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG! You epically translated me! Can I agree 1000% with you?...Yes!
    You understand perfectly that diferencia between Tsunedere and bitch!
    For me I will love and Epic MC, a lovely harem with one of each kind of boys (they are not a lower to be all of them tsundere )
    "Adorable Creature Attacks! Cuteness Overload!" It's an example of diversified harem....but now if the first dude that came at the story I want to eliminate him and I am pretty sure he is the male lead (I am in chapter 20) He is so overly mean with the MC. And that MC is so good.

Kanna Rose, isecai and Alina Moktan like this.