Discussion What do you look for in anime?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Lachiel, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    So that AMV thread got me thinking..
    What do you guys look for in a anime? That feeling. the awe's, the goosebumps,the chills, the laughter..?

I for one love the goosebumps and the chills, but only certain things can pull that feeling out of me.
    I don't know I like when a character massacres a ton of people or can just over power the person hes fighting -shrug- that's just me though. I also get the goosebumps during sad scenes..

canaria23 likes this.
  2. Jr194

Jr194 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like an anime with no fan service

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    things when there'a a certain moment that sends shiver down your spine, the acoustics supplementing the experience making you have goosebumps just having watched such a scene, the awesomeness that gets ingrained through your very soul making you unable to forget them... or something along those lines.

Parth37955 and makenai89 like this.
  4. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how i'm feeling at the time. There isn't too many genres i'm not particularly fond of, mecha is one though generally. That being said, they're not all bad.

There's not many things that I'm not interested in at all though, I'll at least try almost anything, as long as it's not yaoi or something. I'm a big fan of both worldbuilding and design, if the setting is good I'll immediately have a better opinion of it, but obviously it can't carry it. But i think more to answer your question, it's most like an atmosphere thing? I think the soundtrack is one of the most important things for creating atmosphere, and usually if it goes with like some well done action seen (or even build up) it gives you a good impression, even if the anime is fairly rubbish on the whole, like say Guilty Crown for example.

As far as what to look for, I'm not too picky. For me it's more what not to look for :p

5. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    can't really say. i like anime that are funny in general, like seitokai yakuindomo. for other genre usually i just watch the first episode and see if i like it. if i do, there's a 'oooh' sound in my head. like concrete revolution, it just click to me that i need to continue watching it.

6. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Boku no pico and cory in the house

7. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, comedy and mecha, and I stay away from shounen ai, yaoi, boys love and NTR

NekoMK2 likes this.
  8. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    To comment.
    This Scene was 10/10 amazing for me.
    The Music, The Timing, the atmosphere they managed to create during that one scene made me want to keep watching the show.

NekoMK2, Ratatoskr and canaria23 like this.
  9. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    one of my fav scenes in the anime

10. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Zoro.....

11. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    could it be it was you that unleash boku no pico to the world?

canaria23 likes this.
  12. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

13. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    Psycological and seinin anime. Something like death note, code geass, monster, mushishi, psycho pass, and ghost in the shell.

14. Dreizehn

Dreizehn The ghost that watches over you

Reading List:
    Link
    Stench and ugliness of humanity

15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lack of annoying people. Or at least an infrequency of them. Especially the ones with weird laughs or grotesque personalities and narcissism. One of the reason I dislike the Bleach anime. Having a smart MC is a plus. Also a resolute and practical one (basically unlike most MC's with harems). If the MC has plenty of cool badass moments, I'll watch pretty much anything except horror.

rhezes likes this.
  16. ouroboros

ouroboros Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sports major
    Mecha aldnoah zero
    Action/adventure one piece

17. makenai89

makenai89 The Divine Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    That's it. Excellent visuals and awesome score. Plus anime that usually don't skimp on making use of everything in character development and creative plots, including psychological attack (on viewers).

canaria23 likes this.
  18. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Any sort of feels. Whether it makes my blood boil, or my lungs hurt from laughing, or my eyes itchy from crying, or my hands hurt from clenching them in anger, anime should have feelings. That's why I usually can't like those dumb american animated cartoons that try for stupid humour. Anime must have emotions.

Of course, stupid comedy is fine too. I like random comedies like Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun which is amazingly fun for something with such a random premise. Just don't make it stupid like Family Guy or Futurama and the like. While good, those are more like junkfood than good shows; they aren't what I really desire to watch.

19. ouroboros

ouroboros Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Daily lives of high school boys

20. NinetH

NinetH Demon Yuri lord....lazy guy

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually watch anime for their,art, animation, action(if action anime), and music(if music anime), and yuri(if its a yuri anime) though i always watch slice of life comedy anime like hidamari sketch, kiniiro mosiac.

when you see awesome action, you just wana say woah! my fave is the fate series, effects are just awesome, the blurs the lights, the after-images, yeah its pure awesome.
    music animes are awesome, they really give me goosebumps, music coupled with dance moves(if idols), camera angles, timing and some effects. though, i don't really like it if they use 3DCG for dances makes them look stiff and undetailed, though there are exceptions, i like what they did with the idolmaster cinderalla girls, i didn't see them use any 3DCG dancing in it at all, things looks much more details. like how their clothes/accessories/hair moves and also especially how their expression changes.
    as for art and animation, yeah, art and animation , sadly there are anime that had a quite bad animation at the same time there are beautiful animations, for example Hibike Euhphonium , i will have to say the art is awesome, its beautiful, for example the scenes of Reina and Kumiko (i'm not favoritism this ok) i just love the effects they did, the lighting, camera angles, the zooms, its as if the atmosphere is being transmitted to you. *shivers* yeah its awesome
    as for slice of life comedy animes (like hidamari sketch, kiniiro mosiac), honestly i think most animes of these kinds, rarely suck. well, its probably because it doesn't really have any plot, and there is no need for drama, just pure laugh and cuteness, i always watch these kinds before i sleep, it relaxes me and works as a sleeping pill

my avatar pisses me off