Discussion What do you prefer? Regression, Transmigration or Reincarnation.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Reinhardt, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally prefer reincarnation so I wouldn't have to deal with bs like the MC having guilt due to stealing someone's body and etc.

2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a poll would have been better.
    With that being said. I prefer Reincarnation.
    Regression sounds cool. To be able to fix the past. Would be amazing.
    Transmigration sounds incredible. A new world would be interesting.
    But Reincarnation is my go to because I love starting over in an all new start.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  3. Aqua_the_idiot

Aqua_the_idiot my decisions are justified by my name

Reading List:
    Link
    I too prefer reincarnation.
    Idk why but when the MC starts getting love from the body's family members and everyone thinks the body's owner has changed it's attitude, it just makes me sad thinking that the og owner never got that love. I always hope that in the end the FL is actually a part of the soul or it's a regression.
    Regression is okay I guess, the FL didn't got the opportunity or the mental stability to defend herself but sometimes her previous life decisions makes me wonder "damn she really was stupid/weak".

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigration. My favorite books are historical novels, and they mostly use transmigration of some kind. Occasionally, it's some sort of time travel or something more mystical, but these are a lot closer to transmigration than the others. On a slightly different note, I don't think proper reincarnation novels get written all that often.

mir, Reinhardt and Aqua_the_idiot like this.
  5. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    If I would have to choose, then regression.

The ability to return to the past and fix things is one such ability I envy and wish to have.

Reinhardt likes this.
  6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Bit unsure if you mean what I prefer to read or what I would prefer to experience
    As far as fiction goes I prefer reincarnation, but not really the type where they are reborn with all their memories intact, those tend to feel more like transmigrations to me.
    I prefer when it is something like the memories coming gradually as the character grows up and/or the memories being only partially intact, so you get a situation where the character isn't just a continuation of the "original" character.
    And then you have something a bit more extreme like the Deverry Cycle by Katharine Kerr where much of the main cast goes through multiple reincarnations spanning centuries and most of them are not even aware of their past lives.

For what I would prefer to actually experience it is a toss up between transmigration and reincarnation, it all depends on the specifics as either of them could be utterly horrible as well in the wrong situation.

Novel Monster, mir and Reinhardt like this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    none~
    this cat judge on how it delivered or execution cuz sometimes this cat think does it matter?

8. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regression or reincarnation. Transmigration and you'll have to deal with the issue of wearning someone else's underwear all the time even when naked.

Novel Monster and Reinhardt like this.
  9. s3nn_

s3nn_ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This and that I find it weird when people who transmigrate into someone's body are so buddy buddy with their family. To me personally I can't really understand it and I wouldn't care for them like a real family or act how the MC's usually act. Especially if I lost my family when transmigrate id miss them a lot its js not the same. Also its a little sad seeing the new mc get everything the past person wanted LOL :cry:

Novel Monster, Reinhardt and mir like this.
  10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's like the message is: 'The original wasn't good enough to be loved, only by replacing the personality completely and getting all these achievements do they now deserve love and recognition'.
    Only genius, skinny, cute/pretty/handsome, gracious, business-minded, charismatic, talented children deserve any love from their family.
    ... But regular children aren't all those things. Even the main character wasn't those things during their own original childhood.

It makes me very sad.

I prefer transmigration because they keep the same body and there's less weirdness about whether they took over someone else's body or not. I wonder about it even with reincarnation. Did the baby's soul get replaced in the womb? If it's the same soul, did the new life the soul was supposed to be living count as a new life or an extension of the old one if they kept all their memories?

I prefer transmigration but at the same time, I know barely any good transmigration stories....

11. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Regression all the way. All the regrets and what-ifs in your life can be redone with your current mature and developed reasoning and knowledge of the future.

Transmigration is also a bit icky to me, unless MC travels into a new world with their own body. Then it's acceptable.

12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    One problem with regression though is that it isn't really knowledge of the future, it is knowledge of a "possible future".
    For example let's say you go and bet on horse racing because you know what horse won in a race the first time around, maybe that horse this time has a chance accident that causes it to lose you money instead.

13. nivifer

nivifer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regression. Really wish i had that ability haha

14. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the moment you regress, it's already an AU world. I was thinking of a smaller scale of the future about your own life. Things that would've happened if you didn't change anything. Like knowing someone close will die because they didn't get diagnosed in time. Or starting skincare in time with the knowledge you now have lol, I'd do that. And yeah, some investment plans like bitcoin. Some big things like the financial crisis won't really change because of me.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. OkWhyNot

OkWhyNot New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both regression and reincarnation are cool

16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    At least some events in the short term would be fairly reliable yeah, but anything that are months or years ahead in the future would be increasingly at risk of changing even if you don't do a thing.
    For example maybe a successful company never gets started because some minor accident prevented the founders from being at the right time and place to meet each other, which could have a further butterfly effect on the wider economy.
    All that being said, knowledge about things other than future events could be generally useful.

I mostly mention this because it is one of my main problems with regression stories that authors often seem to not allow deviations unless the mc is personally responsible for the change.
    Somehow you will have people meet 10 years into the future in the exact same way that they did in the first timeline even though nothing of it was planned or arranged, even if the original meeting may have been due to really unlikely circumstances in the first place.

Reinhardt and ludagad like this.
  17. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the authors subconsciously subscribe to determinism, where only the reborn MC can change events as someone breaking "the rules". It's an interesting point of view. Considering a lot of Chinese mysticism talks about the Way of Heaven, Heaven's will, the World's rules/law, and so on, it makes sense.

18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    It could be that, I guess my problem with it as a reader is it makes it feel like the characters have no agency and tend to break my immersion because of that.

19. Pacekot

Pacekot [Spades] [Blackjack #10]

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer regression, they tend to regress at proper age when MC "new" power is still believable power scaling wise.. some reincarnation story tend to make MC power absurdly high when MC still a kid

Reinhardt likes this.
  20. fairytwinklebelle

fairytwinklebelle Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation. I want a new life so bad but still have my memories from my past life. Regression is also cool but what if I regress to the time that's crucial or transmigrated to the most notorious character, my weak mind can't handle all the insults, I'd probably crying always or pretend that I have amnesia lol. I also felt bad to the owner of the body.

ClaudetteObelia and Reinhardt like this.