Question What do you think of Reverse Harem?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LynneSuzuran, May 28, 2018.

?

Reverse Harem?

1. Sure thing

27 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Okay, I guess

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Nuh uh

28 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Doesn't really matter

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. Harem is fine but reverse harem is a big no

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _cutie_

_cutie_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think an empress with many male consorts are accepted in the past...

Chivas and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean no gay stuff, if main girl want to be double or triple or quadruple penetrated its fine, but as soon as male A put dick in male B while male B is fucking main girl its not ok

3. Faggit

Faggit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I like harem stories if they're good. I don't really like reverse harems, but if somebody else likes it then go for it I guess. The only type of reverse harem story that I can get into is a love triangle story, but the main heroine would've to eventually get together with one of the two male protagonists. (Yeah, yeah that's my only double standard.)

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reverse harem...in hentai! GANGBANG HENTAI!!

5. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not willing to read multiple men on one woman. Not gonna hate though as it isn't technically ntr.

6. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    My only question: who's the real daddy?

7. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    It hard to say this...
    In this world, we already used the concept where it is fine for man to has relationship with several especially for Royal, noble or rich person.

It just during 19th century or just before that, Europe (I guess) make a law where one man can only married woman.(then I become mainstream)

I am from generation who too used watching harem genre though from childhood I has been taught that one-man usually married to one woman at a time.

Thinking thing going the other way...
    Saying it weird? Wrong.
    I dunno? Not correct.
    Incomprehensible, I guess. As long it remain as fantasy or imagination. Guess I would fine though I won't bother to read it, Unless someone bait me.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    LynneSuzuran likes this.
  8. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran JP Translator and Author

Reading List:
    Link
    What about a story with 2-3 love interests but in the end there is one strong love interest that becomes the main lead and the ending is one-on-one?

What did I just read?! O.O Yeah I agree, it's not ok.

Yeah double standard, but most of reverse harem novels that I know would have that kind of ending, too, which made me wonder what if it were reverse harem all the way, like novels with male MC and harem ending XD

True, it's just that we are not used to the reversed concept, and it's interesting to know about people's opinions.
    Personally, I'm all in for equality and I try not to be biased... although I usually hate harem ending, but it also depends on the story's quality.

9. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    see one kill one.

10. LOTRfreak101

LOTRfreak101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There aren't a lot of reverse harem novels out there, especially since they tend to focus around female mcs which drastically reduces the number of stories that could have one to begin with. from what I've read there really isn't anywhere near as much of the ecchi "lucky pervert" moments like their usually are in normal harems. so in that way the story focuses more on building the characters than having them basically get stockolm syndrome from being exposed to the mc shenanigans. also shoujo mcs from reverse harem stories also tend to actually be interesting people and not just some cookie cutter rando who happens to have a lot of girls fall for him for literally no reason (I'm looking at you Yuki Rito). I enjoy reading harem novels for the shipping aspect of it, not really those ecchi moments, so considering that reverse harems are better in that regard. I have a little reluctance to reading them as a guy, but they usually turn out to be much better stories than regular harems.

11. LynneSuzuran

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. You elaborated the type of harem cliche story that I hate really well XD
    I'm fine with reverse harems because most of them have more proper character and story building. But then again, most of those don't end up with reverse harem ending while many male MC novels+harem novels ended up in harem ending.
    Which is why, I am now wondering about your opinion for a good build-up reverse harem story that ends up in reverse harem ending? Is it categorized as okay or is it viewed as... weird and enough to make you hate the entire story?

12. _cutie_

_cutie_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh, still no. Main reason I dont want love triangles/reverse harem ia because of the risk of shipping. Im a really intense shipper and I dont like it when my ship sinks so I go in the safer route--the obvious one(one-on-one). So I dont have to worry abt my ship sinking.

13. Nef-i

Nef-i Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not like harem consept:blobexpressionless: but if story is good, MC is not greedy b*st*rd, I read and enjoy it. :blobpeek:
    In reverse harem, I can't read the story more than couple of page (NTR and other reason:emoji_spam:, if all mans is willing better but not enough, you can say pride, self-esteem or something like that:confused:) sorry forbad engrish

edit: I forget the drama series(I do not watch some time now), mostly FC's have a lot of pursuer but I do not problem with and enjoy it if not become sh*tty triangle, I hate every kind of triange, square or that kind of meaningless drama.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    LynneSuzuran likes this.
  14. Aletx

Aletx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverse harem (or harem in general) that's done right is actually quite decent.

The key, rich character interaction, not just between female mc and the MLs, but between the MLs as well.

The one that I am translating is actually Mc mom and 3 adopted sons. Except it's more cute and fluffy, a lot less of the typical harem trope

LynneSuzuran likes this.
  15. LynneSuzuran

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I understand how that feels, which is why I tend to try to be neutral in novels with more than one love interests, then when there are hints on the main male lead, I will just ship them XD

Oh, what is the title or NU link of it? The novel seems interesting.

16. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m am generally against harem stories mainly for one reason: the women there are stupid. Or rather they could start of as smart, strong, beautiful, rich, powerful, etc. the femininity and elegance personified. Cool. Me like strong girls.

Then a male MC comes along and suddenly the “Ice Queen” becomes a slobbering idiotic mess. But not only that but she loses all her pride and thinks it’s ok for the male MC to f*ck anything that moves. And I would have possibly understood it if the male MC was truly intelligent, strong, etc, but often he is just good at causing stupid fights and stealing stuff.

What’s so good about a man like that? What is there to become all slobbering mess about?

However an imperial harem is still readable for me. So long as the story itself is good.
    Also something like warlock of the magus world, albeit a harem, is still nice to read in my opinion.

Secondly, the reason I dislike harems is how stupid the male MC becomes the moment he sees boobs. (Hence why I like Leylin, he stays cold headed and sticks with his own thing regardless of boobs). Like WTF!? Really? A man, the “prototype male”, is not supposed to be a slobbering idiot either. But in harems, or take Arena for eg, the male MC becomes nearly a “slave” to the gf. Seriously? Or the “little sister” syndrome???

Ok, that’s not really about harems. But harems have that too. So technically I would not mind harems so long as the “intelligence” factor does not decrease for both, males and females.

Perhaps that is the reason I quite like reverse harems, more often than not the males and females have interesting, strong and intelligent personalities. Though I must admit, so far I have not finished a single reverse harem novel (not yet translated fully).

I did watch anime, though, and apart from Amnesia (I think that’s the title), I liked most of them. Usually they are more comedy rather than romance. Even silly ones are not “stupid slobbering mess”. They are just funny and cute.

Also often the reverse harems are not about the female sleeping with many guys, but more like sticking with one guy despite having many males around her. Faithfulness is nice.

Rumby, Cutter Masterson and Awantax like this.
  17. Black_Cat

Black_Cat 『The Cat That Leapt Through Time』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just dislike Harem... they're for indecisive fucks.

18. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    shit... I was too late..
    I was also thinking of posting that too....

19. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy reverse harems
    They seem to have less annoying/stupid harem members and I wish I had a harem of guys *p*
    And well reverse harem is better than my ship sinking? >.<"

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  20. Zurvan

Zurvan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i am like reading novel harem but if novel reverse harem i sid would never read it to death

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.