Question What do you think of Reverse Harem?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LynneSuzuran, May 28, 2018.

?

Reverse Harem?

1. Sure thing

27 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Okay, I guess

11 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Nuh uh

28 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Doesn't really matter

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. Harem is fine but reverse harem is a big no

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember reading anything with reverse harem.. but I don't think it would be a problem.. as long as there is NO yaoi.. male on male.. activity.. insinuated or.. actual..

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    LynneSuzuran likes this.
  2. Aletx

Aletx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LynneSuzuran likes this.
  3. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
    in my experience, reverse harems play like a dating simulation where you get to know multiple male characters and then settle for one, and usually the female does just choose one partner and the rest of the men disperse into

“single forever, move on but still love her secretly, die for her, or single but stick around and be her body guard or self appointed guardian”

The harem usually falls apart when the one male is chosen, everyone else becomes friends instead of suitors.

4. LOTRfreak101

LOTRfreak101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, personally I wouldn't want to end up being in a reverse harem myself (or actually a normal harem either, that would awful having to deal with more than one woman). but I would have no qualms about enjoying a story that ends up like that. That said, I've never read one to the finish, as there aren't any fully translated or originally written in english, not that english writers could probably write a decent one to begin with. I don't particularly see why I should view a reverse harem any differently than a normal harem.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  5. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm really instinctual about this sort of stuff and honestly dislike the average harem, be it normal or reversed

i dont mind a harem with consent and true love but i don't know about reverse harem with true (genuine) love as i have yet to see it, either irl or in fiction

6. Deadrule

Deadrule Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a
    guy I would say I hate reverse harem ,
    though at the same time I don't like many harems either as many of these got little to no character development for almost all the girls,they are just presented like some trophy for mc to get and for no solid reason they fall in love too easy with protagonist .
    some harem even keep adding girls left to right for no apparent reasons .
    though in harem if characters espcially the heroines are fully developed, got good story arcs then i am all in even if the overall plot is lacking.
    So reverse harem are almost the same
    though being a narcissist and hypocrite I hate all reverse harem.
    And I haven't seen any decent reverse harem yet though I seen many good harem novels.
    Imperial harem might work as in ancient times many queens had their own seperate group of boytoys.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    LynneSuzuran likes this.
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverse Harems are worse than regular Harems because the authors are women and they write for a female audience.

So even though technically I could have 0 problems with it and have an interesting/entertaining read, but in practice, it just won't happen.

Generally speaking, the only kinds of novels by female authors I can find entertaining are comedy ones.

Only exceptions I can think of are Doomsday Wonderland and Long Live Summons, that I've read.

Doomsday Wonderland you can actually tell that it's a bit more catering to a female audience by the MC's monologue etc, but overall it's fairly neutral. Plus she's smart enough, the setting is interesting enough, and I'm always looking for some apocalypse novel so it worked. (Though I didn't like those guys that show up and help them with that thing that let MC's party re-play the same day like a time loop thingy.)

Meanwhile, Long Live Summons really doesn't seem like it was written by a female author at first glance since it absolutely look like some horny guy's fantasy. With that said, it still has quite a lot of that humour, so the whole thing about if it isn't some kind of comedy it's not going to be something I can be entertained by 99% of the time.

p.s. that said, since I already 'know' this is the case, I'm generally speaking not looking for novels by female authors, thus it's even more rare for me to find the exceptions which further enforce this belief.

p.p.s and in the fist place I don't like 99% of the novels anyway, and all the novels go through a secondary filter since the Translator(s) select what novels to translate as well. Everything added up just makes the chance of me reading a novel with even female protagonist at all extremely unlikely, never mind one with a reverse harem to boot.

p.p.p.s that said, the first manga I ever read and really got me here (eventually) was Half Prince

p.p.p.p.s already way too long post and I'm wasting my time so this post ends here :p

8. Hasutsuki

Hasutsuki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is something that I cannot enjoy, I don't know why but, my main couple always lost in reverse harem...

9. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    A normal harem means one person can keep as many bloodlines as they have harem members alive, and it usually wouldn't be any question of who the child is fathered by unless the mother cheats. Additionally if one becomes pregnant, he can enjoy the others.

A reverse harem unless extremely managed can lead to serious doubts about the paternity of the child, especially if they look similar to eachother and the child inherits that trait. And if she becomes pregnant... yeah, tough luck getting her pregnant again at the same time or being allowed to have fun with someone else.

Basically more various reasons for normal harems rather than reverse harems to exist.

10. McNoodle

McNoodle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like harems and this mainly stems from the fact that I don't like the thought of having to share a s/o. So, whenever I hear the words "reverse harem" the word harem just sticks out too much for me and I'm like nope, goodbye, begone.

11. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I’m not one for harems. But the novels I read are usually have male leads. So I’ve just read standard harem. Not the reverse kind~

12. Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignore me. I am just a naive and edgy guy who only believe in protagonist loyal to love interest!

Chewie and LynneSuzuran like this.
  13. Eve

Eve Title under construction

Reading List:
    Link
    nope,
    idk, its just plain disgusting.
    I'd prefer stories like single parenting or multiple children family w/o in**st.

14. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really into reverse harem however I remember one or two that was decent. Also it didn't really stay as a harem in the end or the impression anyways.
    One of the ones I was referring was hilarious, well it was a anime so yeh. The mc got admitted into a school for the rich/wealthy children while being dirt poor. She broke a vase because of an idiot and well got drug through an entire series of events. Her appearance looked to be a male because of a event that happened before she enrolled or around that time. Well was idiotic of an anime but gave me something to laugh at.

15. domon

domon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    logically speaking reverse harem is useless, political benefits and other benefits can be achieved IF there is a child, without a child the benefits will be temporary, unless the girl kills the males to acquire the wealth, problem is a woman can only carry babies from one male at a time so normal harem is more beneficial in this regard....moreover regardless of how gentle or understanding the man is, most men will expect the girl to be faithful, even if they are not the possessive type they will only allow the girl to be with other man after divorce

however if we are only talking about whether a girl can be allowed to have a reverse harem or not then i think sure why not, our personal opinion aside as long as they dont disturb us or people who dislike such practice we cannot really do anything, granted they will be shunned by certain people but they can simply stay away from each other and the world will be peaceful, after all if there are men who enjoy being surrounded by girls it is only natural if there are girls who enjoy being surrounded by men

16. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    A reverse harem is basically like a season of Bachelorette. A bunch of unrealistically successful and handsome men, most of them with terrible personalities, fight for the love of a single woman because she's the protagonist. And she slowly decides which one she likes best by process of elimination.

If you talk about polyandry, it mostly doesn't make sense for reason of succession - the main purpose of marriage is to create legitimacy from parents to children, but without careful management in a polyandry, even the mother won't be sure of the child's father. And even with careful management, people outside the family will question the child's legitimacy. That problem doesn't exist in regular harems.

Reverse harem is no better or worse than a regular harem to me since I don't put myself in the protagonist's position. With good harem members and fun interaction, it's good; without those things, it's bad. The main difference with harem and reverse harem iirc is, in a harem the harem members suddenly forget that they're badass warriors and need to be rescued by the protagonist, and in a reverse harem the protagonist repeatedly forgets she's a badass warrior and needs to be rescued by the harem members. Or maybe she even gets defeated and raped by the harem members depending on the kind of novel.

And I don't mind the protagonist losing, but I do mind the protagonist suddenly forgetting how to protect herself whenever there's a handsome man around.

Blueberry_scones and Nef-i like this.
  17. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouran host club was weird but it was ok

18. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a fan. Depends on some nuances, like whether the female protagonist is consciously getting romantically involved with 2 or more guys at the same time, whether it's just a lot of guys courting her but only 1 proper male lead, whether there are romances with different males but at different chronological times.

It also probably depends on how well it's written. Hypothetically if the author does it really well I might like it but generally speaking not for me.

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reverse harems for as long as the love interests are well-developed~

So... Essentially, I like it the same way I like harem, with good characters.

Chewie and LynneSuzuran like this.
  20. crow14

crow14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There sure alots of harem topic these day and the content are usually turn out the same people keep coming to bashing how they don't like harem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.