What do you think tags on NU should show?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ridiculous how many people will tag a genre to a novel, when it's already in the genre section.

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    tags should also be used as reference to find similiar novel so if you click almighty brick that would redirect to all novel with same kind of brick scene

3. Kuro no Maou

Kuro no Maou BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY

Reading List:
    Link
    "What do you mean he tricked her into having sex with him? :/

4. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    You are correct, my bad.

However, having only several defined general tags (like weak to strong, multiple lovers, gore, rape, etc.) are than better people just using their own interpretations of what those tags mean or creating their own self made ones.

5. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say restrict Genre changing permission to Mods, but that seems like a ton of work on your end...

6. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't imagine how horrible it was when I had to argue with people making these arguments...

Like talking to a brick that's completely sure it's a dandelion...

Vrethalya likes this.
  7. Detrolord

Detrolord Regular Pervert Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NSWF tag

8. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    But the thing is, Almighty brick does not help the person looking at the tags at all, unless he has read a novel with a similar tag. Why use lol tags which new readers won't understand when there are other tags that can be easily understood?

And yeah, tags should be used as a reference. Sensible tags I mean.

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    an R-18 and R-15 tag exist

10. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Told the fanboy, eventhough your wive loves you, it's still posible to rape her (wellp, by law it'll be defined as sexual abuse though)

Hmm, tags should represent the vague idea of what the reader would expect toward the novel, it almost gave a spoiler, but it's just that vague, that the reader could only guess from the tag. It's not just limited to the storyline, but also the majority of it's content (character disposition, gory content, etc).
    One of the example of tagging that i really fond of is like what i see on vndb. You really know what to expect from those vn.

11. ICe

ICe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what we really could use is a list with tags and the working definitions. maybe only the ones in need of one like harem, romance and other ones that can be interpreted very differently so we can be one same page for what it actually stands for?
    i think that would help a lot with the confusion
    tgs should give an idea of what the story is about/contains with more details/specific than genre

Mufarasu likes this.
  12. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    there are over 1500 tags in use. Genres would be easy to do, and most tags are self-explanatory...there are simply a lot that aren't need.

13. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    here will put an example

Looking at this tag I deduce transmigated xianxia, and weak to strong all other tags are other forms of saying the same ( F** there are 4 tags says that the MC is taleted) i'm not gonna click in any of this tags lokking for similar series cause i'll end up with 50 generic xianxias who may hold no resemblace to the one i just read, now tags that some who read it will understand and give 2 or 3 results with the same type of caracteristic IMO is better

14. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they provide a small spoiler on whats happening that the genre and the synopsis can't provide. so you know what you're getting into before hand

15. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a tag, using brick as a weapon as well originally. 100% sure, cos I added it. Someone must have deleted it. Problems of having unrestricted editing privileges to all users.

Wonder who deleted it. I'll ask Tony so that I can message the guy not to delete it I guess?

BTW, if anyone feels that there are some really stupid tags that have been put in a novel by trolls, they can write a message to Tony, telling what the tag was and which novel. If your complaint is correct, the troll editor will lose their editing privileges.

16. Felix3D

Felix3D Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags should be, of all things, Useful.

If they fail to uphold this standard, they should be eliminated for being bloat.

For a tag to be useful, it must fall into these categories:

• It must represent a common trope, concept, or attribute that novels (multiple ones) express, have, or use.
    • It must be Unique (I.e. having "Xian Xia" and "Xianxia" as individual tags does not help)
    • It must function in helping the user categorize and find similar works.
    These three are the core principles behind the tagging system.

Novel Updates currently fails at all 3.

The majority of the blame can be put on the userbase and the Taggers, as we have no idea what we're doing most of the time, and much of the others we're just goofing around or being malicious.

When I search for a novel using tags, I'm expecting the novel I want to show up. I tried using tags like to find Underdog Vs Boss a while back, and for a while "Rich Male Lead" wasn't one of the tags. Neither is "Childhood Friends" for that matter. In fact, if you use even Genres like "Josei" or "Shoujo", it won't appear either, despite clearly being targeted to women.

The Tagging system and Genre tagging system have failed this site.

If you want to fix them you need to address not only their core functionality, but how we interact with them.

Do you expect us to remember EVERY tag in existence? If that is true, how can we tag a series properly? We don't have that many people actively tagging, and even in that list the tags themselves are mutable and being added over time.

What we need is frankly a Danbooru style system where each tag has a wiki entry/description so we know what to tag, and for the tags to be curated. New tags cannot be made until a tag committee/staff member signs off on it and makes the entry. This way tags are managable and we can look back at the entry to see what a tag means and how it should be applied.

Granted, incentivising tagging more could also help, but no one wants to build on a moving foundation. So nail it down first.

Make tagging instead of typing in the tags into the field, a drop down menu or check-box list, basically a set number of pre-existing tags to choose from. That will help stem the tide and be a good foundation for us to move forward.

(Basically handle tags like Genres more).

Also, it would help a lot to have little (?)'s next to the genre names when adding/searching series, so that we can clarify things, like when to use "Josei" vs "Shoujo" and "Shounen Ai" vs "Yaoi". I mean really, differentiating "Shounen Ai" vs "Yaoi"? That's nigh meaningless. It should be "Yaoi" vs "Bara"!

Edit: Also, just full disclosure, I believe changes to Novel Updates, the site, should be considered from a "person who does not have a NU account" standpoint. Because honestly, this site's functionality is so frustrating that I was forced to make an account so that I could have a reading list/tracker as a way to more easily work around the site. The tools we get as registered user are great, but general functionality of the site without being a Registered User should be a priority too.

ICe likes this.
  17. DocB

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i know how it feels, i was the one who put the almigty brick to connect it to USAW and the king avatar, after making a post looking for more novel with brick scene ( that search got no result)

I filnd that the best way would be creating a new tag people would have to bother the mod directly but adding a already established one didn't required that
    and perhaps only mod could remove tags??

18. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have always seen tags as elements in the novel, like blackmail, slavery, magic, and so on.

19. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    ....Yeah. I had deleted that tag and replaced it with the brick used as weapon. LOL.
    Hadn't touched King avatar though.

Don't kill me k.

20. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much the only way I guess. Or hold a public vote for tags of a novel. If it's public, then people wont troll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.