What do you want in a 4x game?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ai chan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. atlasdsd90

atlasdsd90 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    4x games is awesome i play everyday

2. Filidasi

Filidasi New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it worth it to play? Do not want to waste time on any slag)

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, it's not made yet. The reason he asked for input in the first place is to ensure that the game he's going to make is going to be something worthwhile to play. That's the whole purpose of this thread.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  4. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    There's this old game called Knights of Honor, I think the combat management could fit well in your game. Armies moved in real time on the map depending on the slowest unit in it, and when it encounter enemy army or city you could either lead it personally in which it'll switch to battlefield view similar to Total War. However, you could also leave your general ai to lead the battle in which it'll not instantly end but you could monitor the rough progression of combat from a bar at the corner. You can order your army to retreat from it if it goes south.

All said it's practically Total War in real time instead of turn based. Some aspects are worth looking into.

MrSplashy and Ai chan like this.
  5. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    I want something that make me say "WHAT?"

6. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not very useful. But if you want something that would make you say "WHAT THE FUCK?!!! You useless piece of junkyard hobos! What is this piece of shit you're giving me? I want my money back! NOW!" then you should have a look at Legends of Pegasus by NovaCore Studios.

Thanks. It's not Ai-chan's game, but Ai-chan will forward this to my friend.

7. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the exploit ones, building improvements on those resource nodes feels so satisfying

Ai chan likes this.
  8. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys, Ai-chan's friend asked another question.

You see, he's trying to make it so that when you save the cavegirls, and you decide to site your new tribe, the square you choose as your tribe's new location has unique resources that can be traded with other tribes. Each site should only have at most 2 resources.

Right now, he has the resources: clay, wild grapes, rare herbs, stone, wood, river fish, salt, copper

He thought of including sugar, but decided against it as sugar is a farmable resource and can be acquired through the tech tree.

He needs more unique resources to make each tile unique and choosing a tile is significant to the game. What else do you think would fit?

Please don't give troll suggestions such as 'trap' or 'loli'. You're just going to waste everyone's time.

9. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cotton/Silk/Clothes/Fur/wool
    Teeth/ornaments/jewelry/shells
    Animals/Meat/dairy/birds/seafood (eat or keep as pet/livestock)
    Mushrooms/Peach/melons/seeds/corn/
    Weapons/metals/carving tools
    Potions/Healing charms/medicine/fertility charms/ curse tablets/dolls
    Rubber (tree sap)/Honey/Syrup/Tobacco
    Spices/dyes/paints - tattoos/art
    Wood (construction)

Ai chan likes this.
  10. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing I find meh with the 4x genre is the overreliance on one paticular x, extermination. Some other, more unconventional ways to become powerful is what will make a good game.

MrSplashy and Ai chan like this.
  11. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    He said this won't happen randomly. However, there is a chance that there will be a 'demon worshipping cult' or 'hero cult' where you get the option to appease the demon (or suffer the consequences) or refuse to appease the demon (and gets an event for it). He didn't tell me details but this will be part of the gamewide religion system. The same system where a villager may suddenly decide one day that worshipping bread is stupid and wants to worship kidney stones instead.
    He said thanks and thanks you since there are a few stuff that he can use here.
    He said it's similar to those city building games that Impressions Games used to make. You can raid, conquer or destroy a tribe, but you can also decide you want them to offer you tribute and spares them. Right now it's freeplay but he plans on adding campaign one day.

MrSplashy likes this.
  12. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Also this but at the same time if possible I also don't want to micro-manage most of the things I'd rather have the City Mayor or my appointed Leader handle those things like upgrade and such(basically AI doing their stuffs) either that or a tabs wherein you can see all the cities you own/conquered and manage it like setting taxes and the likes(basically City Management tabs) if you can, you can look at EUIV on the Province Tabs(that tab wherein you recruit your
    army/build ships) and you can assign your Diplomacy, Military, and Administrative points on that province to upgrade it.
    Other than that if possible add more variables to the game, more in-depth features on how you can manage your Empire/Kingdom, etc. I'll come back to this once I've thought out more.

EDIT:
    If this is going to be a turn-based one, I would like to suggest random generated events for the whole world like the things you see on EUIV and Crusader Kings II and if possible to set up Factions or a Council.

If it's going to be a real-time one, I would love to see you control your army and direct them, not like going on their POV but actually controlling/leading your own army.

Eh I ran out of all ideas(those are crappiest ideas I had. I admit it).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    He said you won't handle the other tribes/villages/cities. It's basically a citystates game. You initially manage only your own tribe's village, as population grows, you eventually become a town and then a city. But you still directly manage only your own city. When you beat up other tribes/villages/cities, you don't manage them. You tell them to send you tribute. It's possible for the cities you have conquered to rebel if you're seen as weak or they have a rebellious leader, or you ask for too much tribute or if they have a religion that's completely incompatible with yours. You can raze their temples if you wish.

I think it's very close to Zeus and Emperor, previously of Impression Games fame.

MrSplashy likes this.
  14. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    How about travian as reference? Early game pretty much about territory management, balancing between army and resources.

MrSplashy likes this.
  15. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I see thank you. This is rather a unique way to play it I guess since you won't be swamped and be a bit overwhelmed once you've grown big.

Well, here's another idea - since you're going to be a City-state with a lot of tribes/cities/villages coming go in and out of that, can you add Guilds on there wherein you as the City Lord can commission stuffs like resources(woods, ores, etc), hire mercenaries, and talk with the Merchants to set up trade routes around the continent or on that particular map area. Then after that you can add the Council wherein they will report to you the daily/weekly/monthly/yearly revenues and taxes of your domain, the tributes that the other City Lords, Tribe Chiefs, and Village Chiefs sent you, then there's the daily problems wherein you either solve it yourself or assign someone else in your stead to do those.

I hope that you can let, the Players, make their own faction/guild so that they can have another source of income to the City and at the same time add a lot more of options on what kind of playstyle you will go for. Since we're going on with the Council stuffs(if it's plausible) if you can add some kind of Intrigue system wherein you can hire assassin, send spies among your citizen/guild and other city-states wherein they give you the info on what they're doing, how they think of you, if they're going to rebel, etc.

EDIT:
    You can find inspirations/ideas more on games like Ostriv, Deprave, and the Endless Legends series.

Ai chan likes this.
  16. CripplingDepression

CripplingDepression 『Professional Loli Appraiser』

Reading List:
    Link
    Needs more sacrificial rituals, Cthulhu, Facism, and glorious Supreme Leader rather than Capitalism

17. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    How would the guild work gameplay-wise?

Ai-chan will tell him, but don't ekusupect anything too complicated. He's doing this alone after all. Ai-chan's work is only in the graphics and storyline for the campaign. He said this will be on the same vein as Zeus: Master of Olympus and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, ekusucept you start your city in the same way as you start a city in Civilizations.

MrSplashy likes this.
  18. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I see, he can make the Guilds work simple by having them let you hire Mercenaries, trade goods with them, hire workers, commission a Adventurer to go out to explore forests/regions, while the Hunters will automatically well hunt foods, take forages, etc.

Ai chan likes this.