Resolved What does 鳳棲舞 (凤栖舞) & 十三佳 (re: alcohol) mean?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by emiliers, Jan 11, 2020.

1. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Context: 我們半路遇見了桃姑娘,紹元瞧見她就走不動路了,非說想試試能不能讓人家跳鳳棲舞...
    (Simplified: 我们半路遇见了桃姑娘,绍元瞧见她就走不动路了,非说想试试能不能让人家跳凤栖舞...)

Apparently my google-fu is not strong enough because I have no idea what this means. At first I thought it might be a euphemism for asking a girl out (or, y'know, sex), but then within the next few sentences, someone else said, 其實我也想看鳳棲舞 (其实我也想看凤栖舞), and now I'm second guessing myself.

This is from a wuxia webnovel, by the way, so I didn't want to discount the possibility of there actually being some kind of perching phoenix dance...

Any help with this would be appreciated!

EDIT: Hoo boy, got a new question. Anyone know what 十三佳 means in relation to alcohol? It's written with actual quotes around it in the WN. And someone says: 不錯,正是‘風醉’里的‘十三佳’ (不错,正是‘风醉’里的‘十三佳’) [風醉 = the name of the wine/alcohol], so I assume it's some kind of... vintage? Year maybe? Does anyone know?

EDIT2: Never mind, I think it might just be a name or whatnot, so I'm just going to come up with whatever. Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's a dance imitating a phoenix perching on a tree (or a women straddling on top of a dude? The dance part is just a nicer way of putting it)

emiliers and nonononononono like this.
  3. emiliers

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's what I thought originally too. But the later sentence of someone wanting to *see* it made me second-guess myself. Though I guess now that I think about it, it could be like a sexual position or something, and maybe that's what's meant by wanting to see it (as in, wanting to see a woman performing that position for him). Hm...

Thanks for the reply!

4. JerryHatrick

JerryHatrick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know Chinese, but from, 'phoenix perching on the tree", "dance" and "could be like a sexual position" you get, https://www.kinkly.com/definition/14664/the-perch-position
    So putting it together, it'd either be the sexual position linked, or a lap dance.

emiliers likes this.
  5. emiliers

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man, I would've never thought of this! But thank you, I think this might just be it!

6. wazs

wazs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a kind of dance and im sure 鳳棲舞 is not exist in history,so probably the writer creat this word,to translate correctly,you may need more article