What does "Yatta Desu ne" mean?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Walter vi Britannia, Oct 23, 2018.

1. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    No wonder they have legal lolis, the Japanese like being ambiguous. :blobshh:

2. daildaros

daildaros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a weebs thing, it's not like someone actually used that word on a real context.

3. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Funnily enough, I was watching when I saw this thread.:blob_grin:

4. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Trying to remember exactly... But I do recall desu was a derivative of gozaimasu. Which is the more polite firm of "it is". A statement of fact you could think of it as. It isnt always needed as most can figure out the context without it. Like yatta ne can be interchanged with yatta desu ne in terms of its literal meaning. But when its not said its not as formal so there are conotations to it even when literally it means the same thing. General rule of thumb for Japanese is the longer it is the more polite/formal.

5. novalance

Reading List:
    Link
    What really is irritating I would say about it is Japanese uses many common same spelled words that have different meanings. English has reused words but well I wouldnt say as common as Japanese, like the word saw is acommon word with a different meaning and same spelling. Japanese has a whole host of common verbs with identical furigana that kanji in those situations is ur only line to tell then apart... Of course even kanji can fail u now and again.

Juppun and jibun are written exactly the same way kanjiwise, one means 10 minutes the other means ones self... Thats one example off the top of my head.

6. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite. 十分 can be read "jippun" or "juppun" to mean "10 minutes" or it can be read "jūbun" to mean "enough" or "plenty". ("Jibun", meaning "oneself", is written 自分.) It's not really so big a difference in meaning if you remember 分 means "part". So a minute is "part" of an hour, and having 10 (out of 10) "parts" is plenty. (Also, oneself is the "self-part" that one offers to the world.)

English has lots of words like this that sound similar and share an origin, but that have different meanings now. For example, "skirt" and "shirt" come from the same word. As do "hostel", "hotel", and "hospital". There's even "host" and "guest", which started out as the same word and took opposite meanings. Shared origins are just less obvious in a language that doesn't preserve those origins so readily in its writing system.

7. novalance

Reading List:
    Link
    My mistake it was juubun as in enough that used the same kanji and juppun. Was trying to recall an occasion in was typing out to a japanese person. It just came about that the convo took a turn where I thought he wanted to wait 10 minutes but was saying it was enough time. Since the convo was time related the two got mixed for me till he spelt it out.

I am aware English has reused words. But I off the top of my head I cannot think of the more common ones having more than two meanings. Saw comes to mind, spelt and said the same way but two different meanings. Bare or bear, phonetically practically the same spelt differently but two different meanings.

I was referencing more of the verbs that have multiple meanings and common ones at that. That u would need kanji to help figure out on those occasions. One example is tsukimasu. You got like 8 entries each with differing kanji and each with their own variations of meaning. Phoenetically the same though and furigana is the same. When the author is using the more obscure definitions and doesnt use the kanji and leaves the furigana only, those occasions make me sad...

8. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm no Japanese expert, but from my knowledge, "desu" seems to be a shortened version of "de gozaimasu"/"de gozaru" because in honorific form, "de gozaimasu" is used instead of "desu" IIRC. So "de gozaimasu"

9. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think adding "ne" at the end of the sentence usually means you're looking for some response from the other party about what you just said. Same with "na" unless the na follows after a present tense of an active verb.

10. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    Crack open a dictionary. Almost all common verbs in English have more than a few meanings. The verb in a sentence like "Bob should run" could be suggesting Bob get exercise by running, that he flee, that he try to get elected, etc. Like Japanese people, we figure out which meaning is appropriate from context. Kanji differences are more of a convenience. (Or inconvenience, in the case of words that don't sound the same but have the same kanji.)

Kuro_0ni likes this.