Question What happens if I translate a Qidian novel?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by cerphis, Nov 18, 2017.

?

Translate Qidian novel?

1. Go for it!

38.2%
  2. Even if hell freezes over, even if the sun comes crashing down upon us, do not make it mistake

61.8%
  1. Balthazzar

Balthazzar 『Reformed Member of NuF Society』

Reading List:
    Link
    mentioned earlier in a previous reply. the long one where even I wouldve tl;dred
    lol, thats a pretty good mindset then but Im not sure they'd credit you. Though by the time they'd take the novel you'd have your own fanbase preaching both here and on their site about the BS tho so credit would be given regardless if Qi doesnt

2. cerphis

cerphis Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm honestly surprised by how many people think that I should go for it...

Anyhow, the novel is fairly basic when it comes to female protag transmitigation novels (alchemy, trash, used to be doctor, face slaps), so i might just try and look for another one

3. Hasu

Hasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I C. sorry about that.

4. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    Well u r being rude man.....
    I said implicitly
    U r saying explicitly

5. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried emailing them seeing what they think. Btw use a fake email just in case (idk what the just in case is for but it's never bad to take an extra step)

6. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try for it. People encourage you to try for it, so that the WW vs Qidian(though mostly, Community vs Qidian) sparks rise again. Then people can either, begin hating Qidian once more or bring popcorns to watch the show.

Jaspaaar and Raizendeville like this.
  7. Shadowdracul

Shadowdracul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just choose from 17k or Zongheng. There are so many novels. Why take a chance?

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chances are that it'll be ignored or overlooked for quite awhile. Either way, the result is at best an invitation to join them and at worst they simply ask you to cease and desist. Maybe someone else will pull a @timebun on you and copy your translations to sell to Qidian on your behalf. In the end, you're not going to face any real trouble, so it's just a matter of whether you care or not when you eventually have to join Qidian or drop the novel for whatever reason.

9. cerphis

cerphis Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This feels like i'm making an underground weapons deal

Timebun?

Zerak likes this.
  10. Raizendeville

Raizendeville [The Idle Lord] (눈_눈)| [Piñata Infantry Commander]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... Good luck on that...

11. Balthazzar

Reading List:
    Link
    NP
    The people gunning for yes are divided into groups that want to see different things. You interact with enough people here and realise that a lot of us are trolls

You could but I think you should do this just as experience while searching for your main on the side. Gets your fanbase started, some terminology might be made different after being pointed out by readers, etc. Nothing wrong with gathering experience beforehand

Raizendeville likes this.
  12. Raizendeville

Raizendeville [The Idle Lord] (눈_눈)| [Piñata Infantry Commander]

Reading List:
    Link

Hahaha...so suspicious..

13. sigmarc

sigmarc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah a lot of chapter
    And Female MC
    Awesome
    If you wanna do it then do it, try to contact them sometime and negotiate wit them

14. Balthazzar

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to do it seriously or become attached to it that is

15. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Long story short, another group took @timebun's translations, did a little bit of editing to them, then sold them to Qidian. That could happen to you, too, I guess? Even if it doesn't, though, Qidian will probably bother you eventually. Just don't get too attached to the novel and be prepared for possibly having to find another project in the future.

16. cerphis

cerphis Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I've seen so far I don't think those guys would agree unless i join them and that's not something i wanna do. not just because of their shit reputation, I just don't want to be in a contract or take money for this

Yeah no, i care much more about someone profiting off of my work that i care about Qidian Telling me to stop

Shit, i aint even think of that

Do they have a history of shutting down translators? Also, do they have female protag novels?

17. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Legal slavery?

18. Balthazzar

Reading List:
    Link
    ye, but if you resolve yourself to find a different novel because of that reason, make sure its not a Qi novel

pretty much

19. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, well, that's actually a lost cause from the onset. Even if someone doesn't do something as outrageous as copying your translations to sell to Qidian, they'll end up on a dozen aggregators that make money off of them, apps that make money off of them, and, hell, probably as ebooks being sold on Amazon by someone you've never heard of. Everyone in the world is going to profit off your translations regardless. I'd say just make sure you're one of those people, and try to care more about the people reading directly from you than the other idiots.

20. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you can try to buy the rights if you dont want to get copyright takedown. a bunch of people got right from them. pretty much all of wuxiaworld novel got rights handed to them that allows them to translate on their sites. but they had to go through a bunch of business talk to get it. so if you arent a business man, just hope your translation doesnt become to big that it forces them to take action.

no business would want someone to take their stuff and make money of it. thats why NINTENDO always demonetized YouTube videos about their products that are not from them whhen posted without permission. Persona 5 did that too. Big Asian companies are very sensitives about their brands and dont like it being used without permission