Discussion What if wuxiaworld had..

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Aug 22, 2019.

?

People who haven't signed up. Would an extra chapter made you sign up?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    57.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kii

Kii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an annoying move, but they need money, and honestly this isn't really scummy. At least they aren't labelling us freeloaders lul.

philosopher17 likes this.
  2. Kii

Kii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you get it once you read over 50 chapters. happened on my smartphone.

3. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    the OP was indeed bad, but the issue isn't something stemming from bad wording or a poorly thought out poll. and it certainly doesn't lead to the toxicity we are seeing from suijin.

when it comes to first reactions, before "resist" comes "doubt". people think to themselves "why do i need to do this?". those who can judge for themselves, will come up with an answer and choose whether or not they are willing to meet those terms. those who can't make a basic decision instead decide to boycott "on principle" as a form of resistance.

the people who are arguing against the free account are indeed the same people who likely possess a multitude of free accounts on various platforms that provide less features and benefits than WW is offering, where it was basically mandatory from the get go. it's not even about it being WW except for suijin who seems to have personal issues that are well suited for a trained professional counsellor.

4. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't like being forced to do things, Now if they asked people to make an account and such instead of that annoying pop up then I reckon a lot of people talking about being forced wouldn't mind signing up, Instead since the way they are kinda forcing you to sign up to read makes people go to other websites to read since at least there they won't be forced to sign up and such.

Ghost_Spawn and Kanna Kamui like this.
  5. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously. It's just signing up.
    Why are people acting like they're being forced to sacrifice their whole family just to read some novels.

6. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    just to make it clear. please tell everyone how it "forced" you to make an account. or how it has forced you to keep reading for that matter, thus leading to the account being forced upon you.

last I checked. there is no compulsion in a few words in a popup message

its not going to kill your pet or hold your family hostage. so how is it being forced upon you?

7. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see the point of the saltiness of these people who don't want to register for an account.
    WhAt!!! I hAvE tO sIgN uP fOr A fReE aCcOuNt ThAt I cAn Do In LiKe FiVe mInUtEs!!!??? HoW dArE tHeY!!!!!

8. Not Red Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    First, calm down there. The tone of your comment seems like this thread is really getting to you for some reason.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about not knowing how it forces or you just really don't know.

9. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First world problems at its finest :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Dark Omega, Wujigege, kenar and 5 others like this.
  10. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, there are some sites that you probably should not sign up with using your main e-mail account. WW seems trustworthy, but I would definitely use a throwaway e-mail account and a Tor browser if I wanted to go to Webnovel (QI)...

...I can't profess to knowing what they would use your personal info for but, being Chinese, I do know that you can only trust what's explicitly stated. Basically, "you never asked" isn't just a joke...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Traveling Chef and Kanna Kamui like this.
  11. fonze

fonze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    complaining about logging in the view free content, sorry, if you're reading the WW novels work on sites that steal their content you're a piece of shit. Quite being a shitty leech.

12. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    oh? my written words have gained a "tone". i must be damn good at writing to make words speak for themselves.

no, the issue isn't getting to me personally, I just find it ridiculous that the same complaint of force is being thrown around and yet there is no actual forcing occurring.

am I being sarcastic? absolutely, it's the internet, everyone is sarcastic here. my points are still valid though.

your reply is targeting my wording rather than the issue i asked the questions on.

do you or don't you have proof that you are being forced against your will to make an account. is there something in the wording of the message that compels you against your better judgement to sign up. if so then we must tell Ren so he can fix it to seem less 'forceful'.

Wujigege, Wu Jizun and Traveling Chef like this.
  13. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically it is just a small hindrance to prevent bots from copying the whole novels? Doesnt seem to make much sense to me tbh
    For one, most free accounts people have actually serve a purpose, such as Nuf accounts preventing NUF from being flooded with anons and giving access to several nice functions such as reading lists. There is still no obvious point to the sign-up on Ww, so it can be deemed as being asked to create a trash account.
    Imo the issue came exactly from what I wrote. 1, bad wording and worse poll (the poll asks if you would waste up to a minute for a cent or 2, which would mean you set your time-money ratio at 1,2€s per hour. Not bloody likely for most people that wont ever need the account for anything).
    2, people who dislike WW for various reasons.
    3, people who just dont want to change their opinion or dont feel the need to discuss a drama that happened because of 1
    Unless you believe people would rather waste time searching for pirates than to directly take free stuff, then everything is already explained. And if they did, I would classify them as 2 or insanely bored people.

Mandatory accounts are a whole different thing from WW. The mandatory accounts offer everything that comes with the provider.
    Optional accounts like on WW and NU and QI only offer 'extra' benefits, such as commenting, reading lists etc. They are OPTIONAL, because you dont need them for the basic services of the website. Maybe this is the first step WW is trying in its transition to a similar system as QI, but it is a poor perfomance if they cant implement it all together imo. You could just quickly reset your ip/delete cookies to circumvent this signup request, so it is more an annoyance than anything else.

14. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even with that, I still don't get the need to curse & trash about ww.
    It's not like it takes hours or months to make an account.
    It's free as well isn't
    It honestly looks petty to over react over something as easy as signing up.
    It's not like they never signed up for anything else in their life

15. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean aside from Emperor's Domination is there even a novel worth reading on WW at all ? I just got bored reading typical xianxia/wuxia novel so i don't really care bruh :hmm: .

Wujigege and Not Red Yet like this.
  16. Not Red Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh, after I post this I'm going to hit ignore since, not even worth the time to explain why.
    View attachment 46810

So judging by your comment people who don't go to WebNovel to read QI novels yet instead goes to others are the same?

17. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't get this. I read the announcement about the changes that were coming on WW and the reason behind it, including all the content behind the spoiler tags. It was rather well written and put in a way that I could understand and by the end of it, agree with. Not that the free account to read more than 50 chapters part bothered me much to begin with since I've had an account for a while now just to express gratitude on the occasional chapter or ask for a point of clarification.

But as far as the information about their Karma program, the new ad system, his marriage and other changes to the site, I really appreciated the way he put all the information up there. It was done better than most large corporations do. Hell, I've seen worse patch notes for MMOs, so I was thrilled to see something this comprehensive.

18. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    I read that it is IP based so maybe if you have a dynamic IP it wouldn't pop? I'm not super smart when it comes to network stuff so IDK

Wujigege likes this.
  19. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god. That was just horrible. I can't believe they said that to you. That was just the digital equivalent of being emotionally savaged. I don't know how you can keep living after such a polite request to sign up for a free account if you want to continue reading. That's it, I'm convinced they must be Nazis to have treated you so horribly.

And yes, if you think I'm being excessively sarcastic and implying that you are an entitled jackass, you're right. No one forced you to continue reading their content so you can't have been forced to make an account. No one held a gun to your head or someone hostage to enforce compliance. Get over yourself.

etvolare, Ai chan, GodBrandy and 4 others like this.
  20. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    oh wow look you don't want them to know that you read in their site after dissing them on a certain unstable novel some years ago?

1. comments (and upvotes/downvotes)
    2. bookmarks (yes, you have NUF but they have originals too)

I see that more of a hassle than simply creating an account. At least w/ creating an account you only have to do it once.

Wujigege and Traveling Chef like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.