What is better IOS OR ANDROID!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Oblivion, Oct 2, 2017.

1. KPOP

KPOP Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i got android but i would love to have an iphone .... shrug

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ????

So, you're saying people can't argue that paying 100$ for a functional phone is a lot better than paying 900$ for it?

I fail to see your point. 90% of the time, the cheaper the better.

3. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the argument was that if you compare a $900 iPhone with a $100 Android phone, irrespective of phone cost, in the same generation of phones, the iPhone will always win on features, fit, and finish. Price to feature/performance ratios are always subjective. I have no interest in the iPhone X because of FaceID, but others might see that as a feature worth paying extra for. If using the absolute cheapest phone is your only metric, then there's not much of an argument to be had for the iPhone.

4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, you're quite right on that.

The problem with that person's statement, is that he is working under the assumption that people can, and are willing to spend the money on a top end phone... Which isn't the case for many many people.

We can't simply ignore the fact that Apple products are overpriced when comparing them to other products, being overpriced is more than enough reason to stop people from using them after all... Rather, I think it's the main reason.

If you want to purely compare specs, then sure, compare only the best of each brand... If you want to compare which one is better to the user, price is definitely an important factor to be taken into account... I think most people buy almost everything based on price and benefit after all, so it wouldn't make sense to ignore one of the major factors.

5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that the price runaway of flagship phones over the last few years is bordering on insanity, but the staggering sales figures for iPhones are a counterpoint to your assertion that many people aren't willing to spend ludicrous amounts of money on a phone. Many people are willing to spend upwards of $1000 on a phone, which is why this thread exists. If there weren't enough people willing to spend that kind of cash, there wouldn't be any phones at that pricepoint.

I'm not arguing for or against expensive phones, here. Like I said earlier, price to performance/feature decisions are subjective. If you can't or don't want to spend much money on a phone, then price will be the deciding factor. If you can, then balancing price and features is something that many people have to consider. Looking at phones of similar prices to find the phone that fits your expectations the best on features and price is why phone reviews exist. If you want to own the absolute best phone as far as features go, you'll have to pay a consequent price for that.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, you misunderstood a bit.

I do know that there are a lot of people that are willing to pay an absurd price on their phones, to the point they could actually buy a laptop AND a phone and still have some spare money left... I'm just saying that there is an other group that is also really big that is not willing to pay that price.

There are definitely enough people willing to buy phones for absurd prices, and I bet most of them don't even use a speck of the features those phones offer... I consider them more of impulse buyers than conscient buyers.

I think most people that make conscious decisions to buy a phone that best fits their needs, decides on a nice balance between features and price... Someone like me that is just plain broke, will just choose the cheapest phone that fills my necessities... Someone that has more money may choose something more expensive, or even the most expensive ones, but they'll do that because those specs are important enough for them to pay that price.

What I was saying, is mainly that you can't simply ignore the price as one of the factors taken into account when buying a phone, if I can choose a phone for 100$ that fulfills my needs, I have little reason to buy a 900$ phone that is better at every aspect... Simply because, my needs are fulfilled by the 100$ one.

Cost/Benefit matters more than just benefit for someone that is buying after careful thought than just benefit... Just benefit probably matters more only when you absolutely need the best of the best, or if you just want to have the best of the best.

JadeWhiteSkin likes this.
  7. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread didn't die yet? o.o ...whatever, I'll just say some stuff too even though I only skimmed through most of it now...

Apple products have their iCloud, fancy design, same design + user experience through all products and their "our users are idiots"-ideology. (this is obviously not just phones as the points show)
    Android using products have greater functionality, diversity, WAY more advanced settings and are more easily cusomizable.

My personal complaints about iOS are the inability of doing anything outside of its regular "abilities", it is restricting the user way too much. And even things that should work easily DO NOT WORK if things go not as intended by Apple (I'm talking about any set ups the admins have to do at your company for example, or simply you yourself at home if you're not just a basic user).
    Also I simply hate their "our users are idiots"-ideology, with it they take everything out of the interface that looks even slightly too complex for the users, but instead of making a flag (e.g. a checkbox) saying something like "developer settings" or "enable advanced settings" as many Andoid devices do, they make it inaccasable by normal means.
    Apple also forces the endusers to buy more products of them by limiting their functions and having the important looking, well advertised functions work ONLY with other Apple products.
    Also unlike Android, which is basically a blackbox running on the OS, iOS actually has all its apps on the same layer as the OS, which is... well ...bad....for reasons....software developement reasons....
    Also I hate xcode but that's an entirely subjective point.

My personal complaints about Android are the great changes it has each time there is a big update, sure those are "made" by the company selling the product you have, and yes it changes again with different companys and even products of the same company (though those changes as major). Thankfully most of the "major change" problem has been fixed in the past few years, making most Android interfaces the same with the product selling companies only adjusting the OS to the parts they used to build the product.
    You have to inform yourself about the products before actually buying them, while with Apple you only have a single products, which you can be sure of that it's 'working properly'.
    Apps might or might not work properly on your product... compatibility to all Andoird running systems cannot be assured.

well those aren't really pro and cons now but more of a mix to the 2 systems... well whatever, this ain't some exam amiright?

Deleted member 13809 and otaku31 like this.
  8. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As an IT grad and tech enthusiast i can tell you my observation on these devices.

If you are not tech savvy , you are better off with apple phones! Period. The softwares were made for exact devices and you buy softwares that are pretested.

Android has the same problems that plague windows, its a clusterfuck combination of hardware and software customization. So if you are tech savvy, you know for sure what you are doing and not downloading any software that might jeopardize your devices. Otherwise, all i can say is good luck.

What am i using? Android. What am i telling my tech illiterate family to buy? Apple phones... Saved me from the multitudes of questions i might get from them when they wanted to do anything...

Aean likes this.
  9. Akaeye

Akaeye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, Im totally on androids side, but what I was trying to say is that some guys were comparing a $100 android phone to a $900 iphone to say that the iphone is better. you have to account to the fact that a $100 phone is not the best android has to offer. If you want to prove that iphone is better than android at least pick phones that cost the same amount of money. i personally have a $130 android, an iphone 8 or X is definitely better than my phone, but Is not 8 times better for being 8 times more expensive. iphone is all around a good phone though not the best, samsung's equal in price and quality while providing more flexibility, xperia has a super camera, great if your big on pictures. android has affordable phones that are not 5 years one modals. there's a lot of things you should account for if you want to say one is better than the other.

10. VCH

VCH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Android devices are slightly annoying because you can't designate your SD card as a default install location for apps, so I'm constantly running out of space.

Apple devices tend to be slightly better at space management I would say in that regard, but I tend to always find myself needing specific apps on one system which are only available on the other. In the end. I tend to own more android devices than apple these days.

11. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    IOS - Oh look, everyone else wants me. They NEED me to fit in. Great now they can really be ignorant and enjoy the BEST phone the market has to offer.

Android - I do alot more shit than IOS. My physical shell can actually be modified easily. Im Flexible.

12. Deleted member 13809

Deleted member 13809 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like android better because ALL apps are free. *wink*

13. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Android: you can install apps outside the store (and there are other stores) without jailbreaking, you can access the filesystem and you can use microscope and USB storage.

14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. Apple's pretesting only amounts to checking if your software competes with theirs or tries to go around giving them money. Hence why its already been proven how software with vulnerabilities easily pass through to their stores. Actually, Apple software tends to have more vulnerabilities on average because Apple's campaign of trying to push all their stuff are so secure, this reason is why many Apple developers are under the assumption that no matter how poor coding they do, it being on Apple OS will magically fix it.

Android is also nothing like Windows per say. At least on phones. Most of the functions of mobile phones are in an embedded chipset. The majority of them are qualcomm and a few others. But the variety of hardware is actually not that much. Now outside of mobile phones the variety is probably even larger than windows due to versatility of android. Everything from MIPS to x86.

On top of that, unlike for desktop software which is coded in infinite amount of programming languages, infinite amount of low level coding and the like. Coding on mobile is mostly done via APIs. Other than rooted/jailbroken software, there is no low level coding on mobile and there is only one programming language.

Modern Android phones are no different in user friendliness to apple devices. They just have the option of going advanced if you want.
    (Back in the day though, Android was much harder to use)

Actually due to allowance of skins, you can even get android phones specifically made for people with 0 capacity to learn like jitterbug. Some phones also have Easy Mode.

What space management? iOS has no SD card...

And you can install apps by default to SD card if you are fine with losing your SD card as an SD card. As of Android 6.0, there is an option to adopt SD card as internal storage. (Your SD card needs to be the fast kind, not the slow class 4 kind)

Once you do that, apps will now go to SD card when installed unless developer specifies he needs it to be on internal storage (apps that need higher speed)

15. Aean

Aean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that its actually depends on the user in what features they want on their phone. While I use an android, its not because of the brand but the features that I want that the iOS lacks.

16. paradoxialprodigy

paradoxialprodigy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends on the user. for a non techie it wont matter either they use ios or android what matters to them is cost of device(hardware) version of software(minimal ) the camera and picture quality and mainly the social status.

for a techie my personal preference would be android because it is open to all every person is contributing to android learning android is easy. it is still in developmental phase so there are a lot of opportunities.

ios: itunes (for music), no bt, only apple corp works on it.
    android : almost freeware. can be loaded on any harware

17. FallenLife

FallenLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IOS 11 seems like they changed something weird. I know someone who got a new iphone, not on lastest IOS and was able to send handwritten message via text message(not imessage), but now that they updated to latest IOS, they can't send handwritten messages via text messsage(not imessage) anymore.

18. En7ka7

En7ka7 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Samsung can be optimized. You can put soft
    You can do as much with IOS as you can with android, such as jailbreaking.

19. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally I agree, but i know what the 10% is about :ROFLMAO:

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    No you can't. Even with jail breaking, you still would not reach the capabilities of Android. Also, jailbreaking unlike rooting involves dangerous modifications which effect stability of the software.