Non-Fic What is going on with new comics and writers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 155674, Apr 17, 2020.

?

Do you like super hero comics?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Greetings and good morning, evening or night nuffians (depending on what time your reading this of course :blobsmile:)
    So... I have been watching videos like these since yesterday because for some reason they appeared on my YT recommendation list
    So to make a quick summarization of what is going on as it seems, marvel and the comic books industry seems to be facing problems, huge problems to say the least, the new disney marvel writers in particular seems to have been 'busy' insulting, blocking and ignoring the fans and readers that followed the marvel characters for over 50 years now because those writers know nothing about the marvel heroes and created a new form of 'heroes' that doesn't match what a hero should be like and even going further as to 'ruin' the image of memorable characters :notlikeblob:, many planned good works cancelled in favor of 'better' others apparently and small shops closing because of losses:blobwoah:
    I suggest you watch the videos or make a quick search about it if it is the first time you know this because I want to know what nuffian fans think about this, if you feel triggered in anyway, please try to be polite and objective expressing your point :blob_grin:

Fulminata and imK like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't even need to watch the videos to surmise it has much to do with political correctness and SJWs. :blob_coughblood::notlikeblob:

They're trying to conform with prevailing western political ideology/thought to be seen as "more acceptable" to a wider audience, but alienating old fans in the process.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I would like a story that I can follow from the start to the end, not a story with a reset button that can be pressed anytime..

4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's part of the problem, the "superhero" genre has grown rather stagnant, some of the heros are decades old and whatever scenario you could come up with has already been done before. The only way to progress is to create a new "identity" and recycle the scenarios for a new character. For example, Captain America was invented during WWII, that was 60 years ago. Whatever you can write about him has already been written.

5. Kendrom_85

Kendrom_85 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing much to say. Marvel have become cocky because of their success in cinema, they are not focussing too much on comics, therefore their fan base is shrinking. But I'll always be there for marvel '.'

6. Kendrom_85

Kendrom_85 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally second that :(
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/31715/when-i-met-you-in-the-summer (pls review it)

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe they should learn from japan~ reprint da old comic perhaps with new words to appease new reader~ then introduce new hero for new generation~ something like dragonball to naruto thing for shounen~
    well this cat not follow superhero comic so dunno exact situation~
    anyway if new thing sold and meet publisher mark then they may not care~
    vote with your wallet~

8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only comic I actually read on hand was Spawn. My first and favorite comic (anti-)hero. No ugly reboots for my Hell Spawn; and I'm still waiting for that new movie.

9. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man the "much sjw bad" crowd is annoying as "SJWs". For people who complain about snowflakes they sure get triggered easily and make 6 videos on why new comic character bad and is literally killing males/americans/women/straights/white/black whatever

I dont need a 6 hour video with an animated furry crossing its arms on why marvel is gonna "go woke and go broke" with the new release of Capitan marvel/ black panther whatever. We've seen time and time again that those movies will still make bank (seriously the quartering has made like 200 videos on Brie Larson, dude is obsessed and mentally ill, his fans only enable him)

Regarding comics, thats a dying medium. But if you really wanna get into it even the comics considered PC aren't really PC and are really well written and popular (aka ms marvel and Morales spider man) mr marvel is getting a Netflix series and Morales got his own animated movie, both have also been selling well in trades. People just see there black/brown and assume its pandering when its not

The other ones that are over the top are just bad writing and get cancelled anyways. And that not limited to the "PC" ones anyway either, In the end read the things you want watch the movies you want without complaining about shit that other people may like.Its not hurting you. For every Cho hulk theres 6 dead pool spinoffs. Read them. No ones forcing you to read other stuff

And the reason fan favourite works get cancelled is cause they dont sell. No other reason. At the end of the day marvel is a corporation trying to make money. They take risks and fail just like any other company.But sometimes they strike gold. Theres no conspiracy to kill your old heroes, and poison the water to make the frogs gay. It's all about money.

10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont read comic books but i've come across articles talking about this issue a lot.

They're trying to re-jig comics to be PC for people who never have and probably never will read comics. In the process, they're offending and driving away those who do read comics and are the ones who buy the comics and keep the money coming in. In other words, a textbook case of woke economics or, as i like to call it, "How to quickly destroy an industry 101".

Marvel probably doesnt give a shit anymore because Disney and "muh movie moniez"

11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding, when Japanese IPs have alternate universe manga versions, they usu. don't SJW their characters.

12. 911

911 [Officer][Official Police][Tag me when needed]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been following up the drama on Twitter, man. They just can't stop shooting their own legs. Too dumb to be discussed, and the reply is directly from the story writer that had political. While simultaneously killing potential costumer by dumb reply, that in the "don't do" 101 PR. While shouting "im not a PR guy. BUT, *CONTINUES TO BE A DUMB LEG SHOOTING*"

13. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I like comics. Grew up reading them. Haven't ever followed what goes on in social media re: comics. Will probably continue not to follow it. Looks like a clusterfuck. I'm just here for the games and the comics.

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    The only Western comics I’ve ever really been interested in are TinTin, but I do sometimes read about comics when a TV show or movie interests me and consider buying it. When “Big Hero 6” came out, I read about the original, for example. Same for after watching “Into the Spider-verse,” my favorite Spider-Man movie.

I have a friend who’s into Ms. Marvel, and I’ll admit her enthusiasm has got me interested. I’m not yet at the point where I’m willing to buy it to try it yet. But I might get there.

Comics I have bought:
    I bought and read the Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover. A few months ago I bought volume 1 of “Avatar the Last Airbender: Promise” and “The Umbrella Academy,” but I haven’t read them yet.

My hubby’s really into stuff like “Saga,” and I’ll admit his interest peaks my interest, but I haven’t read it yet. I’m not sure I will.

15. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the truly creative writers have been replaced by people who are nowhere near as creative but fit the political agenda and trends of modern social media. Our childhood heroes are being tarnished for trends that nobody will care about now or later.

16. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One that I found really interesting is "Irredeemable" by Boom! comics. It's a "what happens if Superman snaps" story. :)

17. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never really read western superhero comics, but I've certainly noticed the controversy around the marvels ridiculous new warriors comics during the last few months...

18. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit. Overdramatic much. Comics have been political since there creation. The Xmen were created for the civil rights movement. If the hitler punching this was relased today people would be complaning. Times never change I guess. Of course when the world change the type of politics will change with it.

stanssoapbox.jpg

1664060013948443605603235959838189054498357njpg.jpeg.jpg

imK likes this.
  19. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    But the quality of the works from before rarely suffered from the political message they brought. Now is not that case however.