What is it you like about stories with OP protagonists?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Skoll028, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArianDruj

ArianDruj Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I'm an asshole so I love to see the moments when people unknowingly screw up and imagine their feelings of regret and despair, sometimes even their sense of hope provided by some misconception they have. I really love those stories with ruthless MC's

2. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, tbh, most of the stories I like have many POVs and so there isn't really a protagonist.

moto likes this.
  3. Night

Night Immoral member

Reading List:
    Link
    You will not see dramatic scene in OP mc ..

4. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    why i like OP
    because my mind only had one core and unable to process[imagine] such a complicated fighting scene
    wait till i upgrade my RAM and AMD ImaginativeCard

5. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought we were talking like OPM OPness... I'll go then.

6. Amberion

Amberion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel OP has lost it's meaning. Pretty much every story that has a strong MC are labeled as OP. If there are people who can beat the OP silly somewhere in the story, I don't really think he is OP.

7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    OPM opness is great actually. It's one of the few stories where it's very well done imo

moto likes this.
  8. Skoll028

Skoll028 Member of DivineDaoLibrary

Reading List:
    Link
    >.> I'm interested...

9. Skoll028

Reading List:
    Link
    Any kind of opness you want to doscuss friend. Discussion marked for a reason ^.^

10. Skoll028

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a very good point. Personally, I think one of the few TRULY op characters out there is Jack Rakan, from Mahou Sensei Negima (didn't like the original series much, tho UQ holder, the sequel, is great). He was like game breaking op. Oh, and tatsuya shiba is another I can think of.

11. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    I like really OP mcs because they tend to have strong, unique characters. Most other MCs in these stories tend to either be greedy, petty misers, or perfect Mary Sues who can do no wrong. I like my characters to actually have a character, a personality, defining features.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Related. To be specific, it's about this part:
    This also answer why the NTR hate question. It's a psychological thing.

13. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy op mcs when stuff is done for fun or a good reason. Just not be full on asshole just cause.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easy to read not require too much thinking, MC just need to go *kaboom* and the enemies lose, pretty simple. But if MC OPness about strategy, economy skill or something like that it's another thing :sleep:

15. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tatsuya Shiba may be game-breakingly OP, but the series written in such a way that he still has challenges that can't be overcome with OP. Also, his psychological limitations make him interesting in a unique way.

My biggest problem with most OP characters is that the author's are too limited to think of ways to challenge them in an interesting manner. Xianxia and Xianhua authors are almost all guilty of this. The mentality that they approach the power structures with means, once you move up a tier you invulnerable unless you run into a freak. It's just flat out, mind numbing, put me to sleep, boring after the second or third time the MC suddenly tiers up and crushes all.

ISSTH is one of the few books, Chinese or otherwise, that handles OP in a truly entertaining manner. For me, it comes down to the fact that unlike almost every other Xianxia/Xianhua out there, the world is not a blank canvas with a few names thrown in there an there. The author has actually taken the effort to create and describe clans, cultures, and societies that make it feel like "hey, this really a world and not just China in a massive other-woldly continent form."

But when most authors are too focused on the "I, your father, am going to kill you" of the chapter to get their weekly ratings, you can't really expect them to take much time to actually develop anything beyond the standard China with magic clone for a world.

16. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    I like OP protagonists as long as they aren't like heaven defying super saiyan god killers. OP protagonists are nice if they're only overpowered for their current area of power (like Meng Hao in Foundation Establishment). Protagonists like Chu Feng or Yun Che, who fight super saiyans with the powers of a human, are too much.

OP protagonists are fun to read about, but only if they aren't stupidly powerful beyond reason. Otherwise it just becomes a festival of characters saying, "Holy f*ck sh*t son of a b*tch, the MC is mah IDOL!!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.