Discussion what is jade

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by telobakar, Aug 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. telobakar

telobakar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my understanding seems a bit low and i want to ask:

1. what is jade slip, in google image there is even an underwear model when i type jade slip lol

2. i seems to read a lot about jade in chinesse novels, is jade a common over there? i.e jade slip, jade box, jade mat, etc, because it sometimes said that a sect supplied thousands of its diciples with jade slip, and there is a millions of sects

3. and there is a often description about something which refer to jade, (skin like jade, etc) but in my understanding about jade is it was a green rock, did the description is about the smoothness of skin like jade or there is white jade that can be referred to a skin or there is something else i am missing?

thanks for answer and if there is something else about jade in chinesse novel that i am missing with please add new information

2. shadeonline

shadeonline [StarSeeker] [WaveWanderer] [TerrainTraveler]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a jade slip
    [​IMG]

3. Vrinshael

Vrinshael 【Chaotic】【Fetishist】

Reading List:
    Link
    Nifleims likes this.
  4. telobakar

telobakar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i sort of think that this was an emblem lol

5. Professor Charles Francis Xavier

Professor Charles Francis Xavier Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. A jade slip is probably a jade box or an ornament, I guess.
    2. Jade is important in most of Southeast Asia.
    3. Bright green jadeite is better known in Europe but Jade comes in different varieties. They probably use jade beauty because Jade is beautiful.

6. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This one from Jackie Chan Adventures.
    upload_2016-8-12_9-23-1.jpeg

7. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a Jade slip according to Deathblade, on his Twitter account
    CXmniZhUwAAtLdt.jpg

SilverxCalibur likes this.
  8. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Lazy Yukkuri copy pasta:
    When in doubt use Baidu:
    http://image.baidu.com/search/wisep...fmpage=index&pos=top&active=1&word=玉简#!search

SilverxCalibur likes this.
  9. EpicJay

EpicJay <Nostalgia>

Reading List:
    Link
    Jade is a ore heavily used for ornamentation in china. It can come in varying hues thus the jade like skin being reference to the more paler jade instead of the more often seen green jade. The way i see jade slips is essentially a crafted piece of jade that acts like a USB drive with information on it.

10. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    For Jade-like-skin.
    I always thought that they're super pale to the point that their veins are showing on their skin clearly, but that's hard to imagine so I always have this gif open in another tab whenever I read a novel.
    [​IMG]

Eruxol likes this.
  11. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asian skin pigmentation is opaque, as contrasted to the usually more translucent northern / european skin pigmentation. That's where you get the '(white) jade like' and 'milk like' skin tones that sound so strange to western readers. Also, part of the skin-tone obsession frequently read about comes form the fact that Asians as a whole are more susceptible to hyper- and hypopigmentation disorders - uneven skintones.

Jewelery-quality jade is pretty rare, and not easy to counterfit (many, many people try - and succeed to some degree). In general, Chinese like 'white-fat' jade - semi-translucent even-toned white jade - mostly for artistic artifacts, while South Asian and Japanese are more fond of clear-green jade, usually made as jewelery. These are generalizations, but are about 3/4ths accurate. : )

Jade comes in just about every color of the rainbow, though opaque, veined, reds, whites and greens are most common - and least prized. Also, jadite and nephrite are two different minerals, both often called 'jade'. A clear emerald green is among the most prized for jewelery, but the translucent white is also highly valued. It's one of the hardest and most durable natural stones processed in antiquity, which explains it's early historic value. Read more via googling and wikipedia.

In Xianxia and Wuxia, it is, as others have pointed out, either an energy source, archive device, or basic computer - whatever the story needs as a fantasy trope. It is nowhere near as common as the stories suggest, but what are you expecting logic for in a million-km diameter world with flying people? : )