What is the problem of Summoners in novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Smaug, Oct 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smaug

Smaug Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is my first post on this site, so sorry if i'm doing it in the wrong place, or something
    Since it is also the first, forum I participate in.
    to the point, I'm a huge fan of Isekais and that genre got me started reading novels.
    I also like the idea of an MC who summons monsters and other things to fight, but I realized that most fantasy authors don't use this type of "setting" for characters.
    I looked for good novels with the theme but in almost all the summoner. bangs with his fists or something else, is it so hard to write a story with this type of character ?, Or do most people not like a character capable of using other creatures to fight?
    I see a story about warriors with powerful blows and wizards throwing fireballs every day, but it's rare to see stories with summoners invoking something, puppet masters, or wizards who use charm magic (I guess that's why it can solve problems fast and kill moments with a lot of action in the plot)
    But I would like to know the opinion of other people
    , Edit: despite what this post may look like. do not. a post of anger, I just. I wanted to talk about it with someone

Tanhalevi likes this.
  2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, not a problem with the genre, just the execution. I haven't come across a summoner novel where it actually does this properly...but I don't read many summoner stuff in the first place. You could try other stuff, like with main characters who stand back and command an army from behind using their intellect. There are loads that fit that category I believe.

Astaroth likes this.
  3. shiro3001

shiro3001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    do u checked summoner is going ?

Smaug likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean, the characters fight purely with summoned creatures? I think you should look for novels with card games and the like (you know, like YuGiOh) not the summoning genre in general :hmm:

Smaug likes this.
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Well idk why there aren't many novels with summoners, but I can tell you that all of the summoner novels listed on NU I can think of, other than Long Live Summons, are complete trash. (And in the LLS MC is basically a OP cultivator who beats everything up on his own while he only use his summons to fool around and turn them all into waifus...)

Haven't tried out Shoujo Grand Summoning yet but tbh I don't have high expectations which is also why I've put off trying it for several years by now...

Especially since it seems to fit into the category of just summoning waifus...

runsing likes this.
  6. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true, me too am wondering that. I really like MC fighting using monsters. Example Taming Master and Monster Paradise
    After reading both of them I crave for more but I can't find any that's as good, that makes me slump on novels for a while
    As a result I switched to mangas with lighthearted isekais that have a lot of monsters MC picked up, that solve my craving a bit

Smaug likes this.
  7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    1)Well, anyone who fights a summoner would know to ignore the summons as much as possible and go straight for the summoner, right?
    2)It's not like pokemon where there's some... let's call it rule which prevents the trainers from actually fighting themselves.
    3) The method of summoning varies a lot, but if it's capture-taming or from other dimensions-summoning, there's a rather decent chance the summoner has to make the creature / being submit in the first place

Astaroth and Smaug like this.
  8. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say try Necromancer stories but they tend to do the same thing.

9. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that might focus on having only summons or contracted monsters fight. The problem is the only thing you'll be fighting is other summons in duels with strict rules, so it is more like a game. Maybe I'm wrong but I got the impression the OP wanted to see something like a summoner adventurer completing a subjugation quest by summoning a demon into the middle of a bandit camp.

Smaug and Deleted member 155674 like this.
  10. Tanhalevi

Tanhalevi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Charm of Soul Pets involves mostly beasts fighting against one another.

On a related note, however, I feel the same.
    I love summoned-beasts type novels, so much that I am trying to write one in my free time (mostly for myself).
    It ended up, however, having the "Tales of Demons and Gods" approach, where cultivators mostly fuse with them to fight.
    Still, I loved the Grimoire World of "Long Live Summons", so I had to include something similar.

Astaroth likes this.
  11. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked the Monster Pet Evolution.. and don't like the other type called soul pet something.
    It varies on what you read first on this genre.
    Edit
    There's also a good JP novel for me called .. xD i forgot the title..
    But MC name is procell demon Lord of creation he combine a token t create monster

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe cuz it mean need more strategy involved~ and that kinda pain on butt~ have you ever play mmorpg as summoner class? da summon need directions and kinda pain to control, heck usually involve micro management that a pain, beside somehow usually people like hmm one man army who fight like lone wolf? summoner sure can go solo but that a pain to write~
    what a pain~

Smaug likes this.
  13. Smaug

Smaug Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [QUOTE = "shiro3001, post: 5881401, membro: 261369"] você verificou se o invocador está indo? [/ QUOTE]

yes i check the Summoner the going, he is really good but i confess that i think the protagonist is so two-dimensional and the story progresses really slowly, but i must recognize that the MC really is a real summoner

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  14. Smaug

Smaug Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly that, taking advantage. How do I do quotes like yours? mine look weird like that for some reason

15. Smaug

Smaug Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would indicate "How not to summon a demon king" the main character is not an summoner but at least there are decent summoners

16. Smaug

Smaug Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This makes sense however other configurations also work and are always being made

17. Smaug

Smaug Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You too? The college is stopping me at the moment but I am also planning to start writing one at the beginning of the holidays, most JP novels usually have a Dragon Quest style setting (fire mage, shadow mage, lighting mage, Magic sorwrdman etc but I want to write with an ambience more similar to Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 (mage, sorcer, Warlock, warrior, barbarian psionics), I am also thinking of putting a protagonist in each arc or other novels that take place during the main story

Tanhalevi likes this.
  18. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, what @Robbini said. Summoners outside of video games need a certain level of strength or enemies with any intelligence at all will kill them first. Even in a video game, a summoner will need to do a lot of fighting early on until he can switch to support after his summons grow. Puppeteering and taming have the same issue. Also, you need a certain amount of magic to summon a monster or control a puppet, which can usually be used for other kinds of magic, and you usually need to be strong enough to be acknowledge by the monster you tame (sometimes you just need to be really good at cooking or something though). After the initial meeting, the summoned monster often becomes stronger than the summoner, but the summoner can't neglect growing stronger himself because he's the easiest target in the group.

And wizards with charm magic, well, I've read a number of those stories but they're basically all smut. It's really dangerous to use mind control outside of fetish bait because it's too versatile. It's like that saying, "If your only tool is a hammer, all your problems start to look like nails". Appraisal has a similar plot issue. Mind reading too. With these abilities, the vast majority of problems would have been easily avoided if only the character with the ability had used it, the way they had used it every chapter up to that point, but they forgot this one time or decided not to because it would be rude or something.

Smaug and Astaroth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.