What is up with JavaSscript on sites like WW, VT etc??

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by kkchaitu, Oct 27, 2017.

1. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, I have noticed recently that the JavaScripts (JS) on sites like WuxiaWorld, Volare Translations and even sometimes on NovelUpdates that they take a lot of CPU processing power. I usually read on my iPad but these days I am reading on my PC and whenever the fan makes noise I was checking what was going on and this is what I noticed. Then I related to the fact that sometimes the iPad would also heat up like it was doing a lot of work.

While I am sure that ads are displayed with JS, I am confused as to why they would need to do so much work after the ads are displayed. Unless I move to the next page, the videos that are playing should play and pictures/gifs being displayed should be displayed, right? There should technically be no reason for scripts to be running after that, right? I blame this on my lack of knowledge about web programming in any form. The reason I am certain that this is JS is due to the fact that when I disable JS, the CPU load goes away. While I would like to know why JS takes up CPU load after the page is displayed, I am more concerned with what happens to their ad revenue if JS is disabled. I am freeloader and I would rather they have ad revenue to support them. I don't use any ad disablers and so if JS is disabled, how would that affect their ad revenue?

Thanks for helping me out with this in advance.

predictingthings likes this.
  2. Aizael

Aizael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no knowledge on web programming so i will proceed to say something ignorant.

They’re websites created by amateurs

udonsage, kenar, kkchaitu and 2 others like this.
  3. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's only been happening these past few months for me, gotten so bad that I've been disabling JS when I visit these sites.

4. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2 words
    Inefficient coding

5. AngelLoufi

AngelLoufi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some are using mining JavaScript scripts. (Lot of articles on the subject right now since it's starting to become more and more abused)

6. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    You probably downloaded a pirate game and now your computer have become a bitcoin miner ^^

7. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    The site has a lot of http requests, it's probably that and the ads.
    But I do recommend trying a virus sweep to see if that has anything to do with it.

8. FluffyMittens

FluffyMittens Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most important thing you can do nowadays when surfing the internet is to block scripts from running automatically, and only allow them to run on sites you absolutely trust beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Less trustworthy ad vendors have taken to packaging scripts with their delivered ads, which can do a variety of wonderful things that may have a not so wonderful outcome for your computer/laptop/whatever.

9. kkchaitu

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe but I am skeptical because this happens on my iPad as well. If it was just my PC, yes. That being said, I do run scans regularly. So for now I don't believe the cause of the problems is viruses/games etc. I am not sure about the bitcoin mining but I will look into that.

Yes, what I was worried is about the JS that come with the ads and also the fact that I might be preventing revenue streams for the sites I read at.

10. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm all for supporting websites, but if they can't properly manage their ads, they lose my support.
    Novelupdates Royalroad are one of the few who make the cut.

Turn off java-script. your computer/phone/tablet being ruined by malicious ads from website owners who don't care isn't worth it.

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about NU and Volare, but the problem on WW is with the ads, WW ads are heavy enough to crash my phone's browser if I stay 5+ minutes on it.

As for what happens if you disable JavaScript? They won't gain money from the ads, as simple as that.

udonsage and zeus like this.
  12. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    Digital currency mining?

13. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend adware cleaner, it's a pretty strong deep cleaner. Free too
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

I do admit WW regulates their ads pretty poorly though -.- I always block them on mobile or my whole phone crashes, though I haven't been on their site for a few months....

And some ad companies are pretty eh...

Google adsense is hard to get in, but it's worth it. I never had trouble with it thus far

14. kkchaitu

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't hope so as they are no longer fan sites any more. Or at least I hope if the cause is the scripts from those sites themselves and not related to the ads in anyway. If ads run scripts then they will not be able to fix the problem is what I mean. That would be bad as they have no control over it.

Interesting. I am not a 100% certain but I recall that my iPad has been hot quite a few times in the past couple years when reading on these sites. I almost always use my iPad for reading on these sites. I don't do much other than that. :)

15. FluffyMittens

FluffyMittens Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Giving one persons worth of ad revenue (which is miniscule) is not worth the risk of having your own computer compromised. If you think otherwise you're either a saint, or a target, probably both.

16. kkchaitu

Reading List:
    Link
    I have web page reloads on VT as well. I usually use the safari reader mode or firefox reader mode and I have seen pages reload. Sometimes it is due to too much memory being used.

Well, I am neither and while I am single person, a lot of folks might think that way. The concern for me is that if they dont make enough then they won't be able to translate and that would be bad for me. Anyway, I will do more research into this and see what can be done. I hope if there is a problem, they will be able to catch it and fix it.

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. kkchaitu

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, this is something I have to look into.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    PC ?
    Long Live Addblock!
    yup go try run addblock and see if there still same problem~
    if da problem still same then bring your PC into specialize~
    let them check it~

19. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when to many adds are on the web... THAT happens, a good example would be gravity tales, its slow as fuck and the page gets overloaded often. I generally as soon as the text is loaded i press X on the browser to stop the rest and im good

20. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually most ads are powered by Google so what I mean is that the site themselves coded the part that show ads inefficiently
    (Well according to my little knowledge on Java & html)