Discussion What is your ideal MC?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by jason3893, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason3893

jason3893 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been thinking about what are the common characteristics been the MCs of the novels I've been reading and began wondering what combinations others find appealing.
    For me it's:
    ruthless-not killing innocent people indiscriminately, just those who aren't respectful/scum
    smart/intelligent/cunning- If the person can't act cunning or understand things which are obvious (at least from my POV) then they annoy me.
    confident but not arrogant- Whether they are weak or strong they need to have some pride and self-respect but not to the point where they look down on everyone under heaven. They can act arrogant or weak in order to deceive people but that can't be their true personality.

That's the main ones for me.

2. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    female. Or ts to female.

3. eklok14

eklok14 Lvl 20 Corporate Slave

Reading List:
    Link
    Male, OP and confident.

4. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no Qualms if the MC is ruthless but he should be a man, confident, Smart, good with women . Not like what you see in most Japanese stuff.

5. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    My ideal MC will be your average guy but he is as smart as hell.. He will be able to thwarted the enemy plans as he countered with a briliant tactics.

Jaded likes this.
  6. Axia

Axia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My ideal MC? So far... Meng Hao :)

RabbitDabbit, Jaded and Lupus like this.
  7. Lupus

Lupus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate mc without flaws

So my ideal mc is one with flaws

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
    tekinwillie and NinetH like this.
  8. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    I like characters that pursue their own interests and aren't selfless at all. They don't do things that have no benefit to them, or they ask for things in exchange. They are generally good at bargaining and can even frustrate other people due to selfishness or refusal to budge because they know they have the upper hand. I think this is just logical and I hate it when characters do something or help people because 'it's the right thing to do'. So I guess to sum it up you could say Intelligent/Realist, or Calculating/Realist.

It doesn't matter really how powerful they are, but generally more powerful is better. The confidence/arrogance has to slide on the same scale as the power level, if they don't match then I won't like the character. If they are very powerful but very humble I wont like it and the opposite (weaker/arrogant) is the same.

Relation to the opposite sex, I don't mind as much, as long as they're not dense. But considering I say intelligent/realist above I think this is a pretty natural follow on. As long as they don't rebuff for seemingly no reason.

Worst characters ever are dense mcs and violent tsunderes.

9. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Yue yang

laxarus likes this.
  10. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Male- strong but not OP. Intelligent or cunning. Not indecisive and even if there are 100s of girls who like him, he likes a single one and doesn't go around messing with other girls. He kills those who would harm him, but is smart about it. Doesn't kill without thinking of the consequences or because the opponent isnt giving him 'face' like MGA or PMG. If the MC uses his brain instead of his fist sometimes, it would be nice.

Female- Intelligent, strong not necessarily physically but mentally. Lots of the female MCs seem to act as clowns and/or are unable to resist the aggressiveness of the arrogant/(bad boy type) male leads. This is annoying. If the guy is being annoying, don't become a damsel in distress or fall in love with him like in TDG or the one with the elevator girl!!!! Kick his balls and crush them!!!!

11. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    very jaded. I still don't get why everyone hates it when the MC kills around though.

12. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    a guy like kumagawa misogi

13. Animester

Animester Silent whisper

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart,handsome ,powerful and who is not dense in relationships ..(and also who can recite beautiful lines>>my fav)..confident

14. Freiios

Freiios Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My ideal mc:
    Smart and calculating/cunning... someone that is at least near the level of a good strategist. Should be able to fend for himself, he can be overpowered.
    Definitely not dense
    Has a sense of humor (lol)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  15. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind if the MC kills a lot to be honest. But in some of the novels, there has been someone getting killed everyone 2/3rd chapter. So...im tired of all the beheading. Dont want to read those novels anymoreWhat's more, the MC doesn't even hide the fact that he has killed the person regardless of how strong the background of the dead person is. How the MC still remains alive is mystery to me.

What do you mean by very jaded? You very tired/bored?

16. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    Just woke up take no heed to my bs. I can see your point there. Some story's just need they're to be that killing element eg Xian ni.
    @Jaded

17. Nightazday

Nightazday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ambitious, intelligent, willing to cause havoc towards the assholes of the series, and create harems

that or female

18. ikeiyr

ikeiyr Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a guy like touno hifumi from summon slaughterer. kill kill kill!

19. feyrin

feyrin Night time tyrant

Reading List:
    Link
    Ruthless, cunning, and domineering. Someone who even if they aren't ridiculously strong are able to make smart decisions quickly and decisively. Even when knowing they may be faced with a loss they refuse to give anything up due to they domineering nature but will not hesitate to cut off loose ends.

20. tocos10

Reading List:
    Link
    you should set up a poll for "what characteristics do you like in mc's" them list them off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.