Discussion What is your preferred magic storage system?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ElefantVerd, Sep 26, 2019.

?

Do you prefer...

1. Magic bags. I mean, they are for storage.

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Magic rings. They are MAGIC, no need to a stinking bag.

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. System Storage. Obviously with alternate profiles, skill management, etc.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Leave that to the baggage carriers, it's their problem.

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I. Eat. Everything.

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Storage Subspace.

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  7. Dantian storage.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Summon chest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Teleport to a warehouse.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    First time I read some fantasy novel, I got in contact with magic bags. It makes sense, you have a bag, you apply some magic, and voilà, you have a bag capable of holding a lot of stuff.

Then I started reading Death March. That's good, a system menu with storage incorporated. And there's subspace storage. The menu storage is free, and conserves heat and freschness. The subspace storage uses mana and in some novels is upgraded to subspace and other-dimension things. I like that too.

Then I read some Chinese web novels, and the concept of magical rings that are storage devices. In some, the magical ring can be destroyed and the content is lost, in others they are indestructible. And they mix several interesting options, like freeze time and heat, and so on.

Nowadays I prefer first the menu storage, then subspace storage, then ring storage. Bag storage looks too literal...

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    A magical peach that connects to someone's butthole. :blobpeek:

PaPaMondo, Femme Fatale and Nusan like this.
  3. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Magic rings are the best. System storage makes the novel feel like a game, I'm not a fan of game novels. Storage bag? Am I neanderthal? Hell no

Arcelia and ElefantVerd like this.
  4. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer storage bags. Yeah they're a bit boring, but bags that are bigger on the inside are almost-slightly-plausible. The rest are such BS. Especially when the MC uses them "creatively" to store hot cooked meals or bury opponents with junk. Seems clever and funny the first time you read it, but it also underscores how completely unrealistic storage systems are.

Storage systems are needed in fantasy because no one wants to read about the brave hero tending to his pack mules, but they become less believable the more you think about them, which breaks immersion. That's why storage systems should be plain and in the background, never central to the story.

sjmcc13, Nusan, Sea Dog and 3 others like this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    They all more or less got the same functionalities but storage subspace, reason being: imagine pulling out and putting stuff into black holes (that looks awesome), like how Ainz in overlord for example stores things into that subspace

ElefantVerd likes this.
  6. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A large magical chest that you can summon almost anywhere, put your stuff in, and then unsummon it.

The chest doesn't have expanded space or anything, the only magic in it is that you can call it wherever and stow it away in the void juice or something with your items safely in it.

Toralk, Nusan and ElefantVerd like this.
  7. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh, for me usually it's lazy writing so unless I already acknowledged it as guilty-pleasure-causing trash, anything rubs me the wrong way.

I think I could somehow be at peace with "MC have spatial magic, so he just rented some basement, clogged entrance to it with at least wall, and used the basement as "magic bag"." Didn't see anything like that tho.

Toralk likes this.
  8. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    System storage, much easier to bring weapons into restricted areas, plus it's one of the fastest ways to find what you're looking for if you have a search function.

Guess I know what I'm making my next armor out of :blobsmile:

Nusan and ElefantVerd like this.
  9. Trump

Trump Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Magic ring look cooler
    I mean you grasp into space and *poof*

ElefantVerd likes this.
  10. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    I take it that you have never played a game before.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  11. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd love a cosmos suite within my "dantian"...

With a warm sun set to rise perfectly every day.

Ugh moon can be discarded, takes too much space, with no use. Few blue giants here and there in the "firmament" would be wonderful.

And a cosy range of mountains bordering the edges.

Aah yes, the tallest mountain should be named Mt.tai.

And a flickering dimensional mountain in the centre of the world, with a mystical dragon coiling around it with a pearl in its mouth saying "Kunlun peak".

Aah I totally forgot, some rivers to go along with our lonely Bachelorette mountains, would look fabulous.

And I'll be modest and want the size to be only 1*10^99sqkm.

Kuro_0ni, Nusan and CosmicInsomniac like this.
  12. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer the system storage. It can be upgraded and it should be impossible to steal from, unless someone can hack the system.

13. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Storage bags are too much of a target. Storage rings are a nice novelty and the best alternative imo if you need a physical item to "bind" the space to. Of course the storage space is best, since there is no way someone can take it from you. A system space, like a "regular" storage space would be awesome too, but a bit too game like if it doesnt fit the setting and you're screwed if the system glitches out or potentially betrays you.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  14. nuttyreader

nuttyreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation novels killed it for me. Only one is the best, a world in a ring or gem. Why search the mountain for stuff when you just throw the entire thing into the ring world and send your mind to check..... you lose out on the time stop for holding food but you can fix that with spells or flags depending on the setting..... just get some library elves to sort all the stuff you need or golems or anything that you can think if your mind is not strong enough to encompass the world in the ring :blob_grin:

ElefantVerd likes this.
  15. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine if the MC's storage space was located at his crotch...

MC: Hey are you hungry?
    FMC: Yeah I'm famished. *MC pulls off pants* "Kyaa! What are you doing prevert!" :blobwoah:
    MC: Getting food from my storage space! *Shoots out piping hot meal onto the table* "Quickly eat it while it's still hot!" :blobsmirk:

God that'd be terrible! Lol. :blob_coughblood: Might be good for a comedy genre though... :blobdog:

ElefantVerd and Nusan like this.
  16. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns has storage bags that work that way, but it's only mentioned in passing in one chapter. She hasn't attracted adventurers rich enough to have storage bags yet.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  17. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for me storage rings are the best i mean if you can disorder space then why can't you use thing like a ring to store. Well bag is easy to understand as good storage place, but it is too often used in style where as long as it won't fill space inside no matter how big it is you can store it inside what destroi immersion since it is 'normal bag with bigger space inside' so how can crossbow go in? how can ass big monster fit? at least ring or other things like this are from beginning able to store everything in different space and you don't need to worry about something being too vast or tall and can be used by nearly everyone and you can steal others possession unlike subspace.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  18. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Nier: Automata storage system... Matter to Information and Information to Matter inventory. So, it is kind scientific menu storage system.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  19. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Strongest Support (I think the name is something like that) apparently had a look-alike.

20. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far the magical storage that I have likef the most is the one used by Keely Thompson in the series 'Demon Girl' by P.S Power, she creates a little pocked dimention where she can store weapon, food, equipment, anything she wish for in the space she created, don't worry is not like she can store a whole planet in there or something its just that I found it nice that the author actually make the storage a complete different dimention.

ElefantVerd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.