Discussion What kind of cliche do you seek in a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Every web novel out there contains some kind of cliches to a certain degree.

As I mainly read cultivation novel, so here are some of my favorite elements :

Arranged marriage is definitely an element I want in my read, particularly arranged marriage that doesn't get broken or dissolved.

Tournament arc is also quite nice, especially if the author did it in style and didn't spam it just because he didn't any idea on what to write next. One tournament arc each plane or realm is definitely my kind of things.

Pet or item that can make MC look stupid is also nice, as it kinda gives the vibe that the MC is not omnipotent and kinda served the purpose of comedic undertone and the story didn't get too serious all of the time.

So, what kind of certain elements you favored in your reading?

2. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    only want enjoyable cliches one of my favorite is the "loli protection thread" cliche and therr lovable brother and sister threads :blobmelt::blobmelt::blobmelt:

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.
  3. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    what i look for is that the mc have a realistic life and think and observe and make mistakes and regret it too and i hate romance as it can destroy the story and become it's main plot if the author run out of ideas and the cliche i search for is simple i want the mc to not be able to save anyone and suffer and then move normally after that and live it feels kinda good to me

4. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit, you really like that bittersweet ending huh? :blobpopcorn_two:

caffeinefocus likes this.
  5. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    it just feels like that's what should happen for me happy ending exist only in rom com manga and novels

6. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Separation. As the time goes, one will find new friends and forgets the old ones. And then he finds a girl and marries her and he forgets his friends. And then they get older and his wife passed away, leaving him alone. Thanksfully he has children to accompany him.

Separation is inevitable, that's why spend most of your time with the one you care about that will always be there by your side. This is the cliche that I love, tragic but beautiful

This is why I love lord of the mysteries

7. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    see that's why i am reading it too

8. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly enjoy stuff that is more fulfillment since i dislike reading things to be realistic, if anything cliche uh i guess there is a lot i would put on the list , but i do like beast companies/pets or just straight summoning(though its a bit rare), good old polygamy, over the top powers and scales of things that happens(you see this more often in CN novels though) taking care and odyssey/adventure into all kind of places is also nice though my ideal i think of this trope isnt it truly cliche since i rarely find it imo

But most of time no matter which it it depends on how its done and some cliches just are nice if they are together with some other trope

9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    MC trying to be low-key only to act the opposite way and be super high-key?

Lovina likes this.
  10. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The type of isekai trope who became cliche since you have so many because i'ts become popular . When an mc transmigrate into a novel/game as a cannon fodder / villainess or side character the majority doesn't surprise me anymore because this become fastly a op mc grab the spotlight type of novel but when i found one i click.

11. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    reaction scenes

12. caffeinefocus

caffeinefocus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For my current reading phase, it's isekai otome villaness noble girls but mostly, I think I like the reincarnation and transmigration with previous memories (of the modern world) to an ancient or fantasy world bits more.