What language to choose when picking character's names

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Xu Wen Hui, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the setting.

But if anything else didn't work, just know that Latin is always the best.

2. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly Chinese eventually English-related

3. INUHim-SAMA

INUHim-SAMA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I play the sims 4 with cc so I create my characters to see them visually :blobcozy:
    It depends on the story you want to write really. Is it based in a fantasy world? Oriental? Western? Mixed? Historical?

As other people mention, it's best to give a meaningful name that follows the culture or world that you are writing. Take it a step further and add meaning to the name whether by having it hint to the character's personality, history, or future event. For example, someone in my story is called Mu Lan. Mu is the surname. Lan is the given name with the character meaning orchid (do correct me if I'm wrong). I called her that due to a plot reason :blobpats:

4. RubberDucky

RubberDucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really does just depend on your character's background. Names are an indicator of their culture, and if it's an isekai setting or a different world, then it depends on what the isekai world is based on (i.e. a world set in a medieval western setting would likely have people with European names).

5. Adieu

Adieu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese > Chinese for English original/ translation purposes, because the accepted transliteration of Chinese to Latin spelling is BR00TAL on the unprepared anglophone mind

Although Korean is pretty bad too, but reading that Zh/X/Sh/Ch/etc thing is like trying to sound out some Czech or Polish last name in your head

PS avoid Chek and Poulesh last names, too. Like teh plague.