Discussion What made..you start reading novels?..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lovelybutter, Jan 27, 2023.

?

Do you read novels?

1. Yes..

2. Nope…

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lovelybutter

Lovelybutter The loveliest butter

Reading List:
    Link
    The pandemic…

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ online ones, same.

paper, uhhhhh, I was a loner lol. But that aside I like stories and books gave me something to avoid ppl since we weren’t allowed phones then.

Lovelybutter likes this.
  3. mrawesome69

mrawesome69 I'm getting too old for this shit

Reading List:
    Link
    animes which ended but novels kept going

4. Lovelybutter

Reading List:
    Link
    I used reading as a substitute for…talking to people…..during the pandemic..I don’t use it to avoid people though…loll

5. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    recommendation I think...before web novels, I only read published books recommended by my sister...then my dad give me e-books of those published books.

I started reading web novels because of manga I think... I often saw comments about the novel version of the manga that was much better than the manga itself. And then there's the slow-update problem. I got impatient and went to read the novel...

Ash_Kira and Lovelybutter like this.
  6. Deleted member 504644

Deleted member 504644 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I just like published books and since webnovels are books I naturally gravitated to them
    Think I learnt about webnovels after searching up a manga's LN

Lovelybutter likes this.
  7. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo levelling
    I started reading novels because of this manhwa. It was at 60 chapters of the manhwa that I found that the novel is at a 100 or so chapters. So i switched. Now, nothing but a full time novel reader...

Lovelybutter likes this.
  8. ClosetGoblin

ClosetGoblin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember so clearly…
    I was very bored during the pandemic. I went to my watchlist and decided to watch
    The Untamed​
    Well, I was watching it, and the whole time I was like, “…..wait a minute….why do they look at each other so often?….this feels a little….uh….fruity.” And I started rooting for them so hard, BUT THEN, I got to the end…and there was no love confession or anything. In my confusion and distraught, I looked it up. And I read the novel, and that was the beginning of the end…

9. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading, novels for me allows me new perspective and to see how different people having different lives and experiences could possibly react to that experiences and having good imagination it allows me to use that and immerse myself in their world. That for me feels great as it is not only entertaining but also wakes me up to some reality of the world. That's why it's important to pick what you read. But as a child I already like reading, I grew up with Sherlock Holmes and then novels by Mitch Albom, I specifically loved his novel The Time Keeper.

10. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading some translated manga and the team responsible for the manga started working on and advertising some CN novels. I read them and liked them. Looked for more on wattpad heard of novel updates and it took off from there.

Ash_Kira and Lovelybutter like this.
  11. Teemo

Teemo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was during my first year of high school. I accidentally found bl series addicted, watched all episodes during two days only to end up with cliffhanger. So i googled a bit and to my big surprise i discovered that there is novel addicted. After finishing that i started reading other novels, discovered novel update, which made it easier to bookmark my novels. I now mostly read bl novels.

IceLight303 and Lovelybutter like this.
  12. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha lol
    I see your discovery was almost the same as mine
    I was reading Soulmates and was completely hooked on it
    Since it was my first ever yuri, I went to google and searched up GL novels and found Novelupdates
    And that's how I jumped into the rabbit hole

Lovelybutter likes this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    An escape from reality

wangfei and Lovelybutter like this.
  14. Lovelybutter

Reading List:
    Link
    That was also..the very first novel i’ve read…because of the manhwa..

It is..

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  15. puukkiss

puukkiss I'm Keeping My Eye On You!

Reading List:
    Link
    As a kid, I started watching anime and soon discovered light novels. After reading everything that piqued my interest (or was available), I became bored and discovered Chinese novels.
    I distinctly remember reading fan translations of Overlord, and somehow some click led me to youtube that had an audiobook of Release that Witch. (I can only consume novels in audioformat, god bless text to speech)

Lovelybutter likes this.
  16. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was younger, there wasn't a lot of people my age. I always do things to entertain myself. silly things. random things. then my grandparents had this nice bookshelf. it has a set of medical Encyclopedia, reader's digest novels, some other things. I picked up the greek myth collection then it just went from there.

Grandpa_World and Lovelybutter like this.
  17. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch Anime, it ended. I want to see more then I found Manga.
    Read Manga, it ended. I want to read more, then I found Manhwa.
    Read Manhwa, it ended. I want to read more, then I found Novel.
    Read Novel, it ended. I want to read more, then I found Novelupdates.

And here I am now.

18. warspite

warspite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love reading fiction and nonficiton! I love interesting novels! Harry Potter and Percy Jackson made me a bookworm yearsss ago.

Lovelybutter and Diametric like this.
  19. WorthierSky8

WorthierSky8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a long time ago but if I remember right the manga of Heavy Object came out and after ch5 ended it didnt feel like it was over. So I searched for more chapters and found the novel on baka tsuki. After that my world changed, I read almost every novel on baka tsuki and tried to find more. This was before NU was a thing so I really had to search and find more novels, mainly I would google any manga I was interested in that was not updating to find a novel version. It was a lot more work before @Tony blessed up with NU.

I really feel old after thinking about how long ago this was:sweating_profusely:

Lovelybutter likes this.
  20. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a child, I loved reading books like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, I Am Number Four, The 39 Clues, etc. But then the series kept running out of books (HP was complete, PJ was unfinished in the middle of the second 'series', IANF was incomplete, T39C had a gap in the books that were available on Kindle, I could never find the sequels to the more obscure books I found, etc.), so I think I ended up just giving up on books. This was also around the time I started playing World of Warcraft, so I guess I traded reading for gaming.

Then, I got into watching anime through a combination of my friend recommending it and seeing a Game Theory video that mentioned the premise to SAO. I watched a bunch of those and was pretty satisfied. I ended up watching No Game No Life, which I really liked, and saw some comments talking about how there wasn't a sequel despite the source material still having plenty of good content. So I went looking for the source and found the novel, then rediscovered my love of reading alongside a nearly limitless amount of free content in the Asian novel translation community. The end. Or is it the beginning?!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Lovelybutter likes this.