Discussion What novels 1000+ chapters are actually worth it?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by riririn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. If we're including LNs, I've enjoyed Baccano! and plenty of other long-running LNs (like... Index...), but WNs? Nah. I don't think I've read a single WN above 400 chapters, actually.
    2. Yeah, I definitely do now. Didn't used to when I was younger, but now if I see a novel is too long, I don't read it.
    3. It's actually a time issue for me. Unlike my high school or college days where free time just fell into my lap, I now have to work, and I also have other hobbies, like reading manga (I still read... a lot of manga...) and playing video games. So every time I see a long-running novel, just looking at the synopsis makes me feel as if time is slowly draining away from me, so I don't start it. I still keep up with old long-running LNs (since I started them when I was super young), but I no longer start new ones.
    4. I like mushrooms a lot.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  2. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. A Will Eternal. 2 Cultivation Chat Group (binged, read mtl after translation ended around 1100 chapters). Liked both of them.
    2. Sure number of chapters is important, but on the other hand it's not the main thing I'm counting on.

3. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would pick long chapter novels if it is interesting, as long as the translations' pace can keep it up with that. i am not waiting 10 years to finish 2000 chapters long of webnovels. I generally avoid cn webnovels though because their summary is so similiar to each others, so i don't pick them that often

I also read a lot of romances; one of the longer one on top of my head being Still, Wait for Me. I also generally enjoy those black bellied thingy with long chapters but most of the time i lose interest midway or even earlier because of the ridiculous dramas or annoying characters

4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed reading overgeared because much character growth.

5. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my gosh I read that novel too! I followed it for a couple hundred chapters before I ended up losing interest but then I saw how many chapters there were and went O _ O I definitely relate to the part about how longer chapters were better starting out tho. I feel like another factor for me was also that all the tropes were new to me when I first started. So like the reborn-into-a-waste medicine refiner was super interesting to me at first... but now I've seen so many novels with it that I'm not interested in it anymore. Also yay for kbbq! I love it too!

Ooh yes that totally makes sense! I sometimes read action-y romance but like I know what I'm getting into and I do enjoy action sometimes. For me, I've been slowly getting into more novels that are closer to 100 chapters (a lot of the novels I've been reading recently are probably 70-150ish) and I enjoy the pacing soo much more. I will say that I'm a sucker for dog blood novels tho lmao so I do read some longer (<300 chapters) novels for that tho hehe.

oh I've thought about reading that one before! Perhaps it will suddenly appear on my reading list...

Big. Mood.

Just curious, do you skip the fillers? Or do you power through them? Also I've never had Czech potato salad before but dang that looks good.

Oh yes that's something I do too! I'm following some long novels that I started when I was first reading webnovels but I'm turned off of starting new ones if they're super long. Mushrooms are so good! I recently discovered that I really really like enoki mushrooms and it's been awesome \(≧▽≦)/

Dang, I went to look at Cultivation Chat Group and that's a lot of chapters to MTL. I'm glad that you've had a good time with long novels tho ^_^

Okay yes I totally feel the part about the translations keeping pace! I know it'd be crazy difficult to get thousands of chapters out in a short period of time but it makes me sad to think about how long I would have to wait before I can read the entire novel translated :/

I think character growth is one of the best things about long novels! It's nice because we can follow characters for a longer time and see them really develop into who they are :)

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Cole

Cole Always Bored AF

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read any long novels that you enjoyed? What are they?
    • Monster Paradise, Lord of Mysteries, My House of Horrors, Mystical Journey, When a Mage Revolts, WMW, Reverend Insanity and The King's Avatar are one of the remarkable long novels that i've read/reading. i binge-read all of them till the last/latest chapter so i did really enjoyed them.
    Do you take the number of chapters into account before you start reading a novel?
    • yes, when it comes to cn novels, if they're atleast at 500+ chapters then i'll read it, if the chapters translated are less than 500 then i wait for them to reach 500th to start reading them. when the chapters are at 1000+ and have a good plot/description, i read it immediately.
    If you don't read long novels, why? What counts as "too long" for you? (Just curious if you think like me or if you have some other reasons lol.)
    • i like long novels. and i don't sometimes read short novels like less than 200 chapters because they're too short except for those who are really good cause i usually finished them by a day or so, so that means i'm bored again and have to find a new novel which i'm lazy to do so i usually just find long novels then read it.
    What's your favorite food?
    • pasta, drumstick and pizza ~( ● w ● )~

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Overgeared
    Lord of the Mysteries
    My House of Horrors
    A Will Eternal(as a casual read)
    Release that Witch
    Warlock of the Magus World
    Douluo Dalu(with how long the chapters are you consider them 1000+ long chapters even though they're only 300+)
    That's the ones I can think of for now

8. giratina143

giratina143 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As of now, almost every CN novel I read with a 1000+ chapter mark is boring.

I found issth interesting, but that may be because it was one of my first CN novels and I wasn’t yet exposed to the super generic plot arcs, never ending 2D villains and ever increasing “realms”.

The only one I am reading right now is “overgeared” and it’s surprisingly one of the few KR novels that I’ve seen that are above 1000+ chapters. It’s pretty good.

9. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Very few.
    First most of them started as web novels. That itself have few minus points like no editor that look up what was written to make a change plot points that are latter not used because one person aka author may not have the time to reread use them because he just forgot about it.
    The time pressure like put out a x chapter per week etc. Repitition of events like some old master before death, tomb rider, some competition like bettle between schools/clans.
    Not that i do not read them but there are vrey few where i got pass 1k before i give up.

10. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    I was surprised that you only read novels if they're longer! But it's true that shorter novels go by too quickly...

Thanks!

Okay I agree with the CN novel part! I haven't read a lot of them super long (I only really read romance and there's not that many that are so long) but I feel like it can be super super tropey and repetitive once the novel gets to so many chapters. I haven't read many KR novels but the ones I have read were all excellent.

That's how I feel about long novels for a lot! Even if it's not up to a thousand chapters sometimes I'm already not interested at the halfway point of something close to 500 chapters. I guess it's also because I see a huge chapter count that I'm like "welp, I'm not interested enough to finish it" so I end up dropping a lot of longer novels.

Cole likes this.
  11. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, not every long novel i liked tho, for example Warlock of the Magis World. It was good for the first half, but second half was meh...

12. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When i started reading online novels i did read read those 1000+ with gusto but now i can't do it despite how much good a novel is .
    Yes when i started i too end up in Ye fei novels pit at that time i could muster up my courage to read dog blood(out of all Ye fei i have read, i liked only National husband a little) . Later on i read very good quality fluff novels in both bg n bl so i stopped that 1000+ ones and also end up leaving bg genre and now in love with bl fluff genre.(if any good bg comes up i would definitely read it )

Well i guess reason for leaving 1000+ novels was death of Su yu in my youth began with him . I couldn't get past his death even with alternate ending of his.
    Many 1000+ novels i left in middle because of too repetitive plot but some were so good that at that time i held on completed their mtl .
    Hidden marriage (who didn't love Lu Tingxiao and little treasure)
    Ghost masked prince xiao
    Master Mu pampered wife(both novels for ml )
    Genius black belly miss(loved Mc)
    Apart from that there were many novels i read 1000+ chapters and thought of returning later but now after a year my tastes change ,i couldn't muster up even to read all of them .
    I have read many novels till 1000+ chapters n left them as i got attracted by 100+ novels .
    At most my limit is 400 + if novel is good and fluffy like don't pick up boyfriends , sinister Ex-Girlfriend n king of classical music. But mostly i can go on till 100+n less than 200 .
    2. Yes i do take chapters into account before reading.
    3. Having read so many long novels i get tired plus it tooks long time to read them . I like short fluff ones . Can't stand any melo drama or repetitive plots . Don't like bg these days as author doesn't write any good ones like sinister Ex-Girlfriend, you've got wrong house n grumpycrab ones . I guess when u read some novels that adhere to ur tastes , you start leaving those bland ones and start looking according to ur tastes

13. Tea Fragrance

Tea Fragrance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, I totally get everyone here. I used to just binge those 1000+ chapter novels like no tomorrow when I first discovered them. It's an easy and entertaining distraction. Bonus points for not having to use my brain to enjoy what was going on.

But as time goes by, I just got sick of how repetitive everything was. I'll start a novel for a short while before dropping it. The only 1000+ chapter novels that I'll vouch for now is those by the same author who wrote The Villain Has Blackened Again. (I'm totally recommending her stuff if you're looking for something new to read!)

14. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep I totally feel that! Generally speaking I don't MTL/read the raws so I was keeping up with Genius Doctor Black Belly Miss and also The Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady (by the same author) and I decided to stockpile, but by the time there were a lot of chapters my taste has already changed... So I have them both on hold and maybe I'll go back to them but I don't know yet.

Yep that's a mood! I avoid long novels now (especially if they're at the beginning of translating) because I don't want to get bored and drop it, because then I feel sad about not knowing what happens to them. And thank you for the recommendation! I actually had it on my to-read list already (guess it avoided my long novel purge yesterday lol) so I'll keep it on there!

Tea Fragrance likes this.
  15. auraizen

auraizen aeu •.*°☆「procrastinating 」『always sleepy』

Reading List:
    Link
    My House of Horrors, The Kings Avatar, and Reverend Insanity definitely
    The Legendary Mechanic isn't bad either and I've also repeatedly heard that Lord of Mysteries is good although I never got into it myself
    Lots of long novels drag on and get boring but if it's good I'll read it, idc about the chapter count. If I love it then the more the better ^^

16. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes that's the best part of long novels! It's nice because I know it will be good and there's so much more to enjoy (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

auraizen likes this.
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion the word count of a novel is a much better measure of length than the chapter count. As such, I never pay attention to the number of chapters a book has to begin with. Instead, I usually pick books that are already completed unless I find something about it that's especially appealing.

Still, I don't read neverending Chinese novels. I prefer to read books that have a proper narrative; that have a progression in the storyline and where the additional length is used to flesh out the world, to build the characters, and to allow for greater range in interactions. In other words, I'll happily read long novels as long as they're good enough and creative enough to justify that length.

I'd say that 1 million words (around the length of the complete Harry Potter series) is sufficient to count as a super long book. There have been a ton of books of that length or greater that I've enjoyed a lot. Among these are some of Jin Yong's novels, some of Yue Guan's novels, and a fair number of books by other authors.

At least that's for Chinese novels. I don't mind reading neverending Japanese novels but I go into these with a completely different mindset and expectations. For starters, I don't have much faith in the quality of these books so I fully expect to drop them at some point.

18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't really think of any individual novels that I've enjoyed past 1000 chapters or even 500 other than maybe The King's Avatar.
    There are a few I'm still reading but the translation for those hasn't gotten anywhere near that length yet.
    I don't mind long stories, but I would typically prefer them to be split up in multiple novels with slightly more self-contained plot arcs and pay off.

19. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious, do you check the raws site for the word count? And then how do you find out the word count for English? :eek: For me, the webnovel I'm translating has somewhere around 3k characters raw but it translates to somewhere around 2k words in English (which I only know bc I've checked the word count in my docs lol). I find it super interesting that you go into long Japanese novels with expectation to drop! But I've also it's definitely easier to pick them up when I expect to lose interest later.

Ooh yes that would be interesting! It's way less intimidating to see multiple books than one hugeee novel imo. There's one fanfiction I'm reading that's become super super long but I always think it's shorter than it actually is because it's split up into different novels.

Nimroth likes this.
  20. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gate of God
    The Outcast (Mao Ni)
    Finest Servant
    Overgeared

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.