Discussion What puts you off when reading a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by IMM, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Pointless and stupid action ( both from Author and characters ).

2. xlfighter

xlfighter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything with JP in front of it, i back away from slowly

3. Muspel

Muspel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I kind of feel like you said. Is not the first time I start reading something which looks super good and I can't stop reading but after 150+ chapters I lose complete interest because is the game or not as interesting as before when I wasn't able to stop reading.

4. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A new "perless beauty" every 5 chapters...:blobsleeping:

5. aattss

aattss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A bunch of stuff. Like when female characters are all attractive by default, even though paragraphs spent describing how beautiful they are or even how sexy their body is are either irrelevant or, worse, the full extent of their characterization.

One that popped up recently is magnets. You know, "Qi is actually magnetic fields". Pro tip: if an explanation is used by people in real life as an excuse for why they're incapable of offering any halfway decent evidence of a phenomenon no one has been able to prove, it's probably bullshit.

6. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped novels mostly when mc went brain dead or driven by his libido. Or when mc trying to became magnanimous but actually he was just pushover
    Its rare but i kindly dropped hail the king because of author naming sense

7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Rape, harem, loli, Tsunderes( or kuudere** ) and romance

**whichever means what I dislike

Fiftyshadesofsucku likes this.
  8. Rae

Rae ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏

Reading List:
    Link
    Arrogant MC, NTR, repetitive and sometimes, a deus ex machina things.

9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Overbearing MC, MC rapes other people, Heroine become irrelevant even though she is also as talented..

10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Very similar to you. What puts me off is when the genres suddenly switch. You start with a comedy, end up with intrigues and drama. Start with modern romance, end up with fantasy somehow... Start with action/adventure, end up with harem logistics. All I want is consistency, for the author to have a plan and stick to it, not swerve in whichever genre is currently popular and shoot their plot full of holes in order to accommodate expectations and gain views...

Repetitiveness is a huge turn off too - like MC meets a new person, new person is hostile, they get into a fight over something, new person starts chasing MC to kill them, MC powers up somehow, new person gets killed, fellow disciples/master/family of the new person show up for revenge, etc etc. And when it's over, a new person gets introduced and you'e like "Here we go again..."

11. JNaomi

JNaomi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -when antagonists are kept for the sake of the plot and only die at the f****** end of the novel :facepalm:

12. Deleted member 79325

Deleted member 79325 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When things get repeated every few chapters.

13. Sangnz

Sangnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stuff that stops me even starting reading
    Yaoi
    NTR

Stuff that I can tolerate for a while but normally leads me to dropping
    Looping story beats - someone does something MC doesn't like MC face slaps then flees from inevitable repercussions of acting like a moron trains up and takes revenge grow to the zenith of power in that area and move to a new area where when suddenly crossing a border everyone is suddenly so much stronger, somewhere there is an auction event in there, rinse repeat.

MCs that act just a arrogant and stupid as the antagonist, which is why most antagonist are serial rapist mass murdering morons just so the MC can be seen in a slightly better light.

Inability to open mouth and communicate, this touches on the idiot MC to a degree but mainly is about romance, I cannot stand situations that are so heavily based around the supposedly "smart" not opening his mouth and saying one simple thing to clear the whole thing up just to instigate a bit of tension.

The dickless wonder, MC has women practically throwing their panties at him but somehow either doesn't realise or doesn't act on it double negative points if the MC is a bit of a perv but still does nothing. It can be considered acceptable if the MC is staying true to his already existing lover so longer as it is a reciprocal relationship not one that is just in his head.

The MC who cannot stop hitting on every woman he sees, now I like harem but I dislike MCs that go after every single fucking woman they see even when they have a number of them already I can understand having feeling for more than one woman, but to instantly change targets just because it is a nation toppling jade like fairy just means he is thinking with his dick not with his heart. AST I could tolerate as the MC is fairly straight up about his harem with his women where as in Womanizing Mage the MC is honestly just lead around by his dick the entire time.

14. Hathnuz

Hathnuz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Info dumps in the very first paragraph of first chapter (and info dumps in general but this type is the one I hate the most). I know world building is important but not confusing your reader with your novel's jargons is important too.

15. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupid
    Pretentious
    Wish-Fulfillment

16. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    o.o .... let me see .... too much stupid drama! (not to be confused with good angst) ....misunderstandings that make no sense and get dragged ooon and on forever .... stupid third party interference

As for non romance ones .... the mc kills everyone for no reason ... is annoyingly arrogant also for no reason ...the plot gets boring after a while (after like 1000 chaps) ...the story started good but the whole thing changed midway (and its basically another story lol) .... kidnappings (i really hate kidnappings )....the mc is normally useless but gets a harem cause plot! ....also really stupid bad guys (or mcs) with plans and motivation that makes no sense

17. ferrelrose

ferrelrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A protagonist that is stupid or naive and someone has to always be telling them what something means or what to do.:facepalm:

18. icerror

icerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Crude language(almost every xianxian). When it comes out of the supposedly wise and detached sage/god/immortal, every single one of them, all the time, it's just infuriating. Curse like your IQ is 200, damn it.
    Overt reliance on suspension of disbelief(looking at you, Shadow net, more on my comment for the series). I don't mind waving off an explanation but if you just gonna give poorly made ones, I'd rather wave off the series instead.
    Suddenly hardboiled MC. Self-explanatory. I could gather they acted out of fear or hatred, but just because you stubbed your toes once doesn't mean you're suddenly McGritty.

Actually, hardboiled MC in general turns me off, none of the writers have the suave to portrait the jadedness and cruelty that comes with experience and their contrasting innocence, how little of it and how there is always more left to lose. They're either unlikable, uninteresting or too rigid IMO(dungeon hunters and the authors other work). Only those of the western variety I've read so far get that balancing right.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  19. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how the insults are used in ISSTH.

The same author does quite well at a hard boiled protagonist in Xian Ni I think, but it's not really hard boiled.

icerror likes this.
  20. icerror

icerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1000+ chaps, nice. Tks mate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.