Question What to do, forever writers block?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Random.poet, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    Back in the day i loved writing so much. A long long time way before i found translated novels online. I had written a few books that arent finished, from only 3 chapters in, to some reaching 50 chapters.

Because of one thing after another i thought i was just gonna take a weeks hiatus... but weeks turn into months, and so on and so forth... 4 years in now. I found my self in envy of young writers. But i cant seem to be in that state of mind any more.

Like loosing my insperation to write. I know some of the stories, but cant seem to put my imaginations into words anymore. Feel like i gave up on a dream for a 9 to 5...

I wanna start over, but what do i do? Anyone got any idea?

2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m currently suffering from writer’s block myself. I have a two shot story I started in March and haven’t finished the first chapter. (╯﹏╰)And another story I started in November and haven’t finished. For me, inspiration tends to come when listening to certain songs, or driving, or when taking a shower, or when taking a nap. I guess being cooped up all day has not been conducive to the right mental state.

Random.poet likes this.
  3. Random.poet

Reading List:
    Link
    I totaly agree, its also making me depressed :notlikeblob:

Anra7777 likes this.
  4. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shad Brooks, from the Shadiversity channel on Youtube, published his book a couple months ago. He worked a 9 to 5 and eventually got promoted. The promotion denied him the ability to spend some time (~2 hours a day) to work on his story which made him depressed. So, he asked for a transfer back to his old job and he was all the happier for it. Now he finally published the book after more than 10 (?) years of writing.

And something my dad always tells me: What can you do? What do you enjoy doing/want to do? Can you earn a livelihood with it?

My advice: Just spend some time every day on it, systematically. Almost like a bit of overtime, but for your personal "job". Revisit your old story or start a completely new one, its been 4 years. Good luck, hope it helped somewhat!

5. Random.poet

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, thats inspiring...
    Anyone reading: please share ur take on this... i need this ❤

Macrendil Ysmir likes this.
  6. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    In 2018, I wrote a book on WebNovel but I started to be on hiatus after the 60th chapter and something. I lose my will and inspiration to write. I just felt it.

I picked up on continuing the book again after six months. It just came so suddenly I think, especially when I read the newer comments from readers who liked my book. Like, on that day I just wanted to write and finish the story. I picked up on momentum, searching for inspirations and jotting down on a notebook before typing it

I hope you could find your will too since losing the drive to do something we have a passion for is something sad we shouldn't experience, in my opinion

7. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading your own story. Maybe if will help you get into the mood

8. Yansusustories

Yansusustories Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was pretty much at the same point just a while ago: Any kind of inspiration just seemed to dry up and I couldn't finish anything anymore. Even if I did write, I was never satisfied, and it just felt like wading through mud. I finally put those stories I had been working on aside, immersed myself in new things (like I started learning a new language, picked up a course in something I enjoyed doing, looked at different media than I had before) and after several months of that, inspiration slowly came back. Not for what I was originally working on though.
    I still pretty much had a guilty conscience because of never finishing those old stories but I just still wasn't in the place to work on them again so I just ignored the problem. It's been two years since then and just a few weeks ago, I finally picked up one that was actually finished already and started reworking it. It's not the same as finishing up the other stories but I feel that it's already a big step for me to be able to do this. I actually think I'm going to rework everything I wrote before and maybe then I'll be able to also finish the things I started. I'll just take it one step at a time.
    So far, this has definitely worked for me so maybe it could also work for you? I think it's just important to try different approaches. Sooner or later, one will stick if you really want to write.

Mai Mee and Anra7777 like this.
  9. Random.poet

Reading List:
    Link
    I do, i really really do... perhaps as you said, some part of me feels guilt for not finishing them too...

Anra7777 likes this.
  10. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, what do you mean by young writers? We've got writers block too, anyone can get it at any time!
    Anyways, what's gotten me out of writer's block for stories was to focus on another character's part.
    Or add new characters.
    Or do a time skip.
    There we go.
    Do your thing and don't be lazy, because that's what's caused me to lose inspiration and motivation to continue with my stories.
    And if you're the type to write multiple stories at once and abandon them as you get interested in another idea, then unless you focus on solely one story, don't think about getting better.
    I probably sound harsh, but this is my honest opinion.
    Credentials?
    I got signed with Webnovel as the 2nd youngest author at 15.
    Plus, I was the first signed LGBTQA+ genre writer.
    I don't update much, but I've still got close to 10K readers.

Random.poet likes this.
  11. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Writer's block, writer's block...oh boy.

1) Sometimes I have it because of a lack of audience--if nobody's reading and I don't love the story passionately (sometimes even if I do), I lose motivation to continue.

2) Sometimes I have it because of fear and lack of planning--I don't know exactly what's going to happen next and I'm deathly afraid that if I write something too enthusiastically, it'll contradict another plot point somewhere down the line and screw my story logic over.

3) Sometimes I just don't feel the drive. Like, I'm writing for fun, not for a living you know? So if there's no impetus to keep going, it's like "why should I?" I've got so many other things to do/worry about/manage.

--

For 1, it's harder to get people to love your story, so I have to rekindle the passion myself. I'll read great works of writing and other people's fics, get inspired by what they've done with the words and characters, and do a stint with my own.

For 2, I try to relax from the pressure while getting involved with the story in other, productive ways. I might brainstorm out plotlines, backstories, culture and setting for the world. I might focus on highlighting/drafting a scene I really, really want to see in the story someday and write down steps I'd have to take to get to that point. I'll break down the story into pieces and go "okay, for step 1 I want the prince to kill the king," step 2 is "this meet-cute moment with his first love interest," step 3 is "oh and also I'll need to foreshadow the Big Bad here." By making road maps I feel more in control of the story and more motivated to bring different aspects of it to life. If you have the talent, doodle something! Commission art! Raise expectations somehow, either for yourself or the readers reading your work! I think I have to be a narcissistic because I definitely like working harder when I know people are paying attention (and will feed me with comments, hahaha)~

For 3, sometimes you need to find a writing group or buddy. Right now I've joined a writing discord for a fandom I'm interested in. All the members are writers or artists, and we're expected to work on a certain collection of prompts all August before we post our works throughout September. It's a LOT more fun and easy to write when you have someone to bounce ideas off of or cry over the agonies of life and writer's block together. I dunno if this works for all writers, but for me, just knowing other people are out there struggling to write at the same time, place, and on the same topics as me makes it easier to deal with writer's block. It also makes me more competitive so I'm more driven to write. At the very least, I've already done 4k for my first chapter and am still going strong...

Mai Mee and Random.poet like this.
  12. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like you're in a bit of a mental rut. How to get out of that differs from person to person, but I'll throw out a few possible ideas for you:
    • Try something completely new that you've never done before. Particularly aim for something that would normally not be in your wheelhouse or doesn't normally suit your strengths. Then find an online community about said activity and discuss it with random people you don't know.
    • Try and find a somewhat scenic spot and observe either a sunrise or sunset. That can sometimes get the mental juices flowing.
    • If you haven't been doing any kind of physical activity, find one. Doesn't matter what. Something that will get your adrenaline pumping.
    • Normally here is when I would say take a road trip to a random city you've never been to, but umm pandemic
    The general idea is to switch things up to get your brain working in a different direction than it's use to. New experiences bring new inspirations.

Random.poet likes this.
  13. Klazy Labbit

Klazy Labbit Peko peko peko~

Reading List:
    Link
    I am suffering from the same thing......
    and I want to write again but when I sit to write, I think stuff like, "hmm maybe some new books are out." or " I should re read that " and other things like that.

14. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to make a suggestion because people are quite different in regards to which options work best for them.

Perhaps the problem lies within lacking inspiration and that a trip, an experience, or interactions with another can givevyou that spark.

There is also the possibility that what you lack is confidence and the awkward feeling of not doing what you once loved for a long time. Confidence is also a mental block where you don't feel that what you do will be any good, so you feel defeat before you even try it. In this case, maybe all you need is to just write. Don't worry about if it's good, just write. Do it steadily and make it as part of your daily/weekly habit. Over time it will feel more natural, the awkwardness is gone and you gain the courage to attempt more stories.

The third possibility os that you are nostalgic over an old habit, but you only regret what might have been; the process and goal itself isn't really that big a deal. Instead you just want that creative time sink. Picking up a different hobby you can like could possibly fill this gap and still bring you happiness.

I can't tell you which is the case for you, but I hope it is some food for thought. I heavily suggest the second point of mine first, as a lot of issues anyone has in returning to anything you used to do is lacking confidence.

Mai Mee and Random.poet like this.
  15. Dravde

Dravde Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I sometimes just can't think what to write I have to read the part again and after that I go in front of the mirror and start acting the story by myself and improv and have fun messing around.

I've noticed that when I see myself in the mirror my mouth just starts moving and I've even acted in front of a mirror for a whole hour. I joke around that I'm a huge narcissist but it's mainly because I find my expressions and actions during acting as fun to watch.

So basically... Do something fun while thinking about what you want to write. The positivity from the activity will free your mind and help you relax.

Random.poet likes this.
  16. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm getting back to it myself.

Best advice I've heard was from prolific comic book writer Chuck Dixon:
    - It's a state of mind, don't talk yourself into it
    - It's the easiest thing to find other things to do rather than write. Don't do them. Write.
    - Books on how to write discourage you, because your brain doesn't work the same way.

Good luck.

drewjn and Random.poet like this.
  17. Daitengu

Daitengu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stephen King wrote Carry out of spite from critics of his adult story stories in Playboy. Saying he's not an author and his stories are trash. He had writers block in the middle and threw it away. His wife dug it out of the trash and reminded him of the reason he even started it. And egged him on to not let those critics to be right. He finished and the rest is history.

My take is remember the why you wrote it. And if you got lost on the "what you wanted to express", reread what you have and change it to fit and work towards an end.

Most real novels are 50k-70k words in length. Some authors mainly write trilogies. Regardless aim to make a story arc fit into a novel or three and end it. What happened to Carry after the highschool slaughter is anyone's guess, but that wasn't the point of the book. Ya gotta set boundaries and goals to aim for. RL books have a natural page limit. You'll have to make one for yourself on za interweb

18. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are generally two ways to overcome slump.
    mental breakthrough or forcing out potential.

mental breakthrough refers to a higher level of mentality and mind. A lot of writers are surprisingly not as open minded as they think.
    You see, wisdom and intelligence are a two separate thing. No matter how smart you are at predicting pain and suffering, you cant compare it to real life experience. My advice is for you to go out and experience new things. Beside writing, yes. Especially uncomfortable things that you usually dislike to do.

forcing out potential refers to forcing yourself to be in a high pressure and difficult situation. for example, to try make a living from writing novels only. you'll be pressured to get it done before your money ran out. forcing out your every last bit of potential. high risk high reward method.

Random.poet likes this.
  19. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I've learned about writer's block is that there's no way to wait out writer's block, you just have to write, even if everything you write comes out reading like shit. Just keep doing it, and eventually you'll either break through that wall, or write enough that there's at least some good that's usable within that shit.

The best advice I've heard from published authors is: write every day, even if you don't feel like it. Set a schedule for yourself, whether it's time-based (half-an-hour every day) or word-count-based (500 words every day). It doesn't even have to be much; it just has to be daily. And eventually (eventually) you'll get your groove back. (Hopefully.)

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Random.poet likes this.
  20. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you just went through my thread so in my case i was just really bored so i started writing again and then started writing more frequently so i can attribute half of it to my mood. All i can say is that we all get into situations like these were we lose hope and motivation and whatever you do whether you decided to continue or stop is that your happiness is what really matters so if writing makes you happy then write if it doesn't directly make you happy then maybe you can start nibbling at it maybe a couple of sentences here and there just continue on with baby steps until you feel comfortable with your progress.

Random.poet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.