What to do in life

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shirsong, Dec 28, 2019.

?

To be adult

1. Uni

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Job

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. Something else??

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. shirsong

shirsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been wondering about that.
    I finished school, dropped after one semester in uni. Now, in few months I will finish my job (I had a contract with them and I do not want to continue working there).

I feel pretty lost in life. My parents want me to start uni again (I have good grades so it's not an isuue) but I don't have something I really want to major in.
    I don't have a direction at all.

How did you know what you wanted to study? How did you konw what you want to do?

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Do what you feel would be fun to you

Return likes this.
  3. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I had no idea what to study and just went to law school. Now I am 3rd Semester and am just kinda doing it. Close your eyes and bear it.

Return likes this.
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Why in the hell would you ask other people for this? Live your own life, not others.

Return, jbturkle, imK and 4 others like this.
  5. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Find another job. Its hard to seek answers when without money

6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You either decide to live your life here on this side, or like the rest including me, just waiting to die off somewhere by the hour to the other side.

7. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make money and try to find something that interests you in the meantime. School will cost money, and you are never too old to go back and finish your degree. You will also develop more discipline and better habits that will make school easier too.

Return, Kuro_0ni, imK and 2 others like this.
  8. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your parents are offering to pay for school, then by all means, go for it, and talk/meet with as many people as you can. The least you can do is leave your comfort zone and network with your peers and faculty/staff.

Return, Kuro_0ni, imK and 3 others like this.
  9. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    You can learn a thing or two from this guy.

Face the world with open arms.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It's very simple.
    You are overthinking.
    @Femme Fatale has a good career path quiz you can take.
    Your issue is not your direction but lack of relationships with other humans.
    Go volunteer, contribute to your community.
    Your thinking is too self centered.
    Instead of what you can do for yourself.
    Look at what you can do for your community

Return, Kuro_0ni and Femme Fatale like this.
  11. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to consider your social values in life.

Get any job to feed yourself, meanwhile explore yourself by doing hobbies. Either painting, singing, etc. After 10k hours, you'll get good at it, and you should be able to make a career out of your hobby.

Be warned though, anything will turn into a job after a few years.

12. hmod

hmod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what kind of shit answer is that? I'm sorry for cursing but that's the worst advice you could ever give someone especially if you don't know his exact circumstances! never ever ever ever do things for other people especially if you don't give a single crap about them.

13. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to scare you, but I still don't know. Kinda sailed through school without feeling passion for anything. Didn't feel like anything in uni. And now I don't really care for the type of job I do. I feel like a veritable useless NPC that just populates the world without contributing anything. At least I won't make more people to inherit my shitty genes, so I guess that's a contribution, though it's more of a middle finger to tax collectors. At this point, I just want to make money, live in comfort, and do my hobbies. So if you want to listen to the advice of someone like me, go back to uni and study IT or software engineering, or computer science. It'll come in handy. If you're in the US and studying is expensive, go work in trade. It pays off to have a skill, you'll never go hungry. If you're ambitious and have money, you can start a business, but that's nothing I'd know about. Cheers.

Return, Kuro_0ni, imK and 3 others like this.
  14. Derrax

Derrax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'm probably younger than you, so I can't really give you advice. I can encourage you, however.

Good luck! Work hard! Don't give up(especially on life)! I'm sure it will all work out for you in the end!

Because happiness definitely exist in this crazy world.

Why do I got this feeling of déjà vu? Oh wait that's me.

Return, Kuro_0ni and ludagad like this.
  15. Jeonjkook

Jeonjkook 徐明浩我的男神

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought it was just me who wandering aimlessly as i finish high school i don't know what i should do anymore i don't feel like to go to college and i don't find any job that could make me stay i felt like I'm worthless, although my score on my final exam is good but there's no point of it if i don't know what i want to do

16. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on where you live, if you have a good education system, and studying isn't really a economical burden, you should continue studying.

If you find a job with good prospects, go for it.

17. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I completed the general requirements and decided what I enjoyed. I also interviewed an art history professor for a freshman class and his work sounded so interesting I took 2 classes related to his field. You can also decide on something you want to learn about. I got into CS because I wanted to know more about the internet. I never quite understood why people would say you can't erase something once it's uploaded to the net :)

tl;dr go visit and talk to people. Ask what interests them.

PS: I don't think it means much if you were disinterested in high school. High school classes are standardized and boring. Go to a good uni and you'll encounter interesting topics.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    imK likes this.
  18. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    well first id do a job that way you can experience how shitty life is while trying other stuff next you go study again but this time you have motivation because you know payment sucks without a degree your also limited massively in your job choices

Return, imK and geneonline like this.
  19. geneonline

geneonline Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I don't know you well, I'll try to recount my experiences a little and share some insights i encounter along the way. After high school, I just skateboarded, played video games, watched a shit ton of anime, partied.. and didnt really do anything productive for a few years. had fun for sure, but in the long run I ended up working minimum wage jobs or at best being capped at 15/hr somewhere doing mind numbing work to make ends meat till i figured something out. i kinda was the whole, do whats fun and worry about the rest later.. working is a big thing in life and youll soon to realize in a few years, living on your own or saving for nice things is expensive AF! With this discovery life will be shitty unless finding something in of areas of interest, pays for living, and being able to have some extra to do hobbies. I'm still lost and thinking about changing my choices of study again.. but after years of stumbling.. i went from shitty min wage jobs, to personal trainer, to almost done getting my physical therapy assistant license, and then maybe going back into computer science or something fun with tech cuz i love pc gaming and bleeding edge tech.Not sure how I'll like the physical therapy realm, but i've been in and out of school for a long time and ready to make something of myself. I regret not finishing a bachelors in something as jobs without a degree pay terribly.. but since i didnt get one before, i was able to apply for finical aid. still struggling here and there.. the future outlook seems to be getting exciting tho trying new things out.
    Might not be the be all end all. Maybe take a year off.. relax.. find yourself, indulge in some hobbies.. get some real life work experience.. and just take a stab at something you think you may be interested in and will make a good amount so you have options later on. They are a lot of quick programs you can get into to make a decent living and then work while feeling out different career or life paths.. but if you arent serious about uni, make sure you dont just join and do a half - assed job in higher education cuz really competitive programs will see those loser grades and dropped classes and give ya the 'stink-eye' when you do decide to get serious about something.
    I really liked personal introspect classes in my college to get me brain storming and excited.... humanities, psychology, and my favorite psychology of personal effectiveness (a positive psychology field of study that focuses on what successful and happy people do to excel).

also, a lot of the people i grew up with, partied, and just being vagabonds with got into some messed up things. you are prob still young.. but dont get heavy into drinking/smoking as humans brains still arent fully developed until age 25. so those substances will impact the brain. try to stay active regularly. lastly, never mess with heroin (goes without saying but that is like a death wish and messes up everyones lifes by just trying it once).
    lol i ranted. be good homie.
    just enjoy yourself tho

edit: How did i figure out what i wanted to do? i had an epiphany that i didnt want to be a lazy pos not knowing how to stay fit and healthy for hobbies i wanted to do.. so i was like f-it im gonna teach myself and make money teaching others how to train.. then i saw a lot of people have underlining health problems and didnt feel i was equipped to train them the best as i could so i went the route of helping injuries or health conditions to get people back to normal. useful for myself as im an injury prone action sport junkie. then im like.. dang my gaming monitor and a few other computer stuff has broke over the years, or maybe i wanna get into developing software or something.. and the fact tech people can make 6 figures out of schooll so that got me thinking... lol.
    A lot of us are still clueless but it's kinda a journey finding yourself and trying to better things. we all get tired and burnt out so its not bad to switch to something else you might have some interest in that way work will be interesting and not the most terrible thing in your life.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Kuro_0ni, imK and mir like this.
  20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You clearly didnt understand what I said.
    And you seem to have issues, talk to a counselor or some professional.
    Humans are not islands

justmehere likes this.