Discussion What video game character did you turn from disliking to appreciating?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by unlucky, Jun 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Video games can be a medium for great story telling when done by a creative studio. And as one of the most important factors in a story is its characters, I am wondering if you had experienced a situation where a character you previously disliked ended up being one of your favorites in a video game story.

Here is my example:
    [​IMG]
    Nok-Nok is an optional companion in the CRPG Pathfinder-Kingmaker released in 2018, you get him in the third chapter of the game. at first I found the character obnoxious, he just seemed like a comic relief idiot monster with delusions of grandeur.
    during his personal quests you have two options either to treat him as actual comic relief or take him seriously and honestly his character shines through if you take him seriously.
    He turns from a fool into a sort of tragic character who wants to fulfil his dream of becoming a great hero for his people despite his limitations, setbacks and mockery of his fellow Goblins. in addition during the final chapter of the game.
    The main villain of the game separates your party and ambushes every member individually, in Nok-Nok's case she gives him a choice to join her or be killed, despite the risk and the known nature of goblins he chooses to stick by the MC simply because he believes that heroes shouldn't betray each other

I was genuinely surprised to find myself attached to this supposed comic relief character and he is now a staple of my party whenever I play the game.
    Did you experience anything like that from a game's story before? if so who was it and how did it affect you?

Nok-Nok be Hero!
    Nok-Nok be great Hero!

2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    great post, but I got nothing because I skip stories in video games. Btw, I looked that villaiiness up, and visually she looks super inspired by the GW2 Sylvari race. Pretty cool. Loved the art style iin that game

unlucky likes this.
  3. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rufus from Deponia

4. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does rufus end up being likeable? I finished the first game in the trilogy but disliked the guy and the next game didn't make him anymore likeable to me.

Qiun likes this.
  5. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By third (it was the best game yet) I ended up liking him very much, but I haven't played forth yet, but imo the game can exist even without forth as the story looked like it was intended to end in three parts

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    unlucky likes this.