Discussion What was the most Toxic Fanbase you encountered?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by animefan4004, Jul 31, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most toxic fanbase I had ever encountered was the fanbase of ORV(Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint).

The Whole Story:
    I head that the ORV fanbase was one of the most toxic ones but I wanted to see for myself how toxic it was. I went to a discord where there a bunch of fans and posted a bad review just to see their reaction, and they just lost their shit. They didn't debunk any of the criticisms I gave and proceeded to try to roast me. They then proceeded to talk about how amazing the novel was.

A few days later I made a comment about another novel and the same people that tried to roast me came after me again. They proceeded to call me names and a couple of people even said that I should sleep and never wake up. They also accused me of spreading false info about novels.

I'm not going to lie, I thought that this was extremely funny, it was lowkey hilarious watching people be so angry over a couple of comments.

The discord I went to was the ReaperScans Discord for those of you guys who want to know

After this encounter, I wanted to see what others thought was the most toxic fanbase. So, in your opinion, what was the most toxic novel fanbase you have ever encountered?

P.S. Please keep this discussion about toxic fanbases because I don't want this thread to get closed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The bible? :blobpeek:

p.s. but yeah ED gets pretty harsh, with randomly being called an idiot or 'did you even read it' just for making a joke.

3. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    RWBY
    That fanbase is toxic as hell. I barely dipped my toe in and left to never come back right after.

4. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For webnovels? Reverend Insanity. Some people are so warped as to think that the MC is righteous in his vengeance. Absolute lunatics the lot of them.

5. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    for novels, I see a lot of toxic 'toward' CN/JP novels, Harem/NTR novels, etc. but not much from the toxic fanbase.

6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I don't use pisscord so I don't know much about the extreme autism of fanbases. Solo Leveling sucks ass tho. The fanbase are probably shounenfags that liked MHA and thinks Solo Leveling is amazing (it's not, the artist is for creating a Mona Lisa with literal shit for paint)
    RoosterTeeth needs to burn. Everything changed after Monty died.

karii94 and JinVodka like this.
  7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Shounen and seinen comics. I’ve seen some toxic stuff on sites that host only those two genre, but it usually isn’t too bad? Recently on mangadex, a translator for a shounen comic made a comment I felt used mildly homophobic language, and I mildly called them out for it. The amount of vitriol I got for my mild comment was pretty amazing, but I wasn’t really surprised.

Also the community of “Remarried Empress”’s comic (I haven’t read the novel, so I can’t speak to it), could be considered toxic, how everyone hates on the two scum of the story. While I do hate Rashta as much as anyone else, I can also feel some sympathy for her circumstances. A lot of the slimy things she does, as infuriating as they are, can be seen as self-preservation. Yes, she takes it too far, and I won’t defend her for that, but I think the amount of hate she gets is a little disproportional. The guy, though, f— him. *wonders how much hate she’s going to get for these comments*

thursdays and Fran.2424 like this.
  8. Maeve Arte

Maeve Arte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The toxicity of Naruto, Dragonball, Kimetsu no Yaiba and SAO fan bases are really over the top. I never encountered such immature, close minded and toxic people in life. They even resort to ad hominem argument just to prove their point.

Fran.2424 and Sabruness like this.
  9. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Being an active user on the official Bioware forum during ME3's release. We were absolutely fking pissed becsuse of the ending and we really made that clear to the devs. We(cause i was pissed too) flooded the forums with our opinions on the game and demanded they change it completely. I vividly remember the 'Retake Mass Effect 3' movement and the marauder shields memes lol
    We even succeeded in our demands, sorta, they didn't change the ending, but did create a new ending-sorta.

Geor likes this.
  10. Danthefanokaku

Danthefanokaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now unpopular opinion ahead, one of the more toxic fanbases I’ve interacted with (not the most toxic but super relevant) is the translator community here on NUF.

A few years back I posted a question to a NUF’s translator thread asking about paywalls for chapters and why translators would do that instead of opting for a different method like donations and the like following in the footsteps on the manga translating community. Basically, I was trying to figure out why there was such a difference between the two communities which share an extremely similar interest/job description. To me, I was just asking a super genuine question, which to some people came off as being (Totally stereotypically) against paying translators which really lit a fire under a bunch of people’s butts. It took a few days of posts and conversations to get back on track of why there was such a difference, but the instant negative reaction and extreme persecution really shocked me. It doesn’t not make sense as to why there was such a knee jerk reaction, but the extremeness of it was definitely a shock since it seems like you can’t necessarily voice your criticism on/for a translator or their works without facing massive backlash because it’s free content. Which is an interesting point: can you criticize free content and should you?

Jai Lotus, Fran.2424, Kirill and 5 others like this.
  11. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fanbases in general are toxic because of the tribalistic nature of humans. It's like how religion sounds fine in principle, but once you group people up in congregations and split them among various lines, they start mass murdering other people in the name of justice and goodness. It's only because of centuries of religious warfare that Europeans learned to chill the fuck out regarding it.

12. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    I find most web novel fan bases to be toxic, criticism is not appreciated and is frequently attacked. Though they are no where near as toxic as online games communities... I mean tell the call of duty fan boys that a different fps game is better seriously and they will try to hunt you down online.

Fran.2424, Sabruness and WeaselLord like this.
  13. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything with a target audience of teenaged boys and girls or 30 year old men

.Lance likes this.
  14. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The atheists and agnostics can be much worse in my experience and i dare you to walk up to a Muslim and call Muhammad a child rapist

anon, Sabruness and .Lance like this.
  15. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Certain fighting games like Smash.

adrielpirate likes this.
  16. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another fanbase I found to be extremely toxic was the fanbase of the webtoon "Killing Stalking", which makes sense since a lot of the fanbase is made up of underaged girls.

I have not actually read "Killing Stalking," I don't like yaoi, I found the fanbase as I was browsing through Reddit.

Fran.2424 and .Lance like this.
  17. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll also add that idolfags are the worst fanbase ever in the whole world. Obsessed and simping over a person that doesn't know they exist. Regular twitchthot simps can never beat the toxicity and degeneracy of idolfags.
    Zealots are basically boomers while atheists are retarded zoomers and millennials. The former doesn't like criticism and relies on bullshitting when they probably didn't even read a single page of the bible while the latter is trying to be edgy and cool.

18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    i've seen a lot of toxic fanbases, but probably the AMD vs Nvidia is the most toxic one I've ever seen, I mean wow... I wonder how all of them still are alive and aren't dead due to high blood pressure.

Though I guess the whole gamer culture is toxic and now you get a fanbase within the gamer culture and all hell goes lose.

[​IMG]

PS Nvidia fanboys are the worst though >.>

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Azninvasion

Azninvasion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Smash community is super toxic

adrielpirate likes this.
  20. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ARMY; some of those people are terrifyingly rabid and insane.
    any fanbase tends to be obsessive. even the people on this site feel personally insulted when you give an honest review, point out a novel's weaknesses as well as its strengths, and dare to rate a novel anything less than a 5.

ellieclare94 and Fran.2424 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.