Discussion What would happen if everyone suddenly became immortal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jacobpaige, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the Wizard of Oz series already explored that?

2. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    The commoners will be sent to live on the moon

3. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality, huh....
    Well, crew ethic, we goin' wild!
    But then of course, the need of resources for maintaining immortality won't cheap or we just pour our resources elsewhere like Deep Space program, Interdimensional travel, and eventually, the greed drive our races to the upmost limit of exploitation and we'll mine out everything we known in this universe.... and the next dimension we've put our foothold in.... yep, that gonna happen. And any enemies we encounter will fear of the fact that we can't die under any circumstances, and either be colonize, drive to extinction or accept being conquered.

4. readergod

readergod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    everything will stay the same. we will kill each other all the same, we will just have more time to do it and at some point in time we will prohibit procreation because of overpopulation. the social hierarchy is by seniority, so the first generation will be the ruling class and others will be the workers. then the first generation will devise a plan to combat overpopulation with a purge, so they will instigate wars over resources, and all the mainstream news networks will promote first generation propaganda. they will talk about racism and how there are more than two genders, they will stoke the flames of hatred and pin the worker class people against each other. there will be riots and civil wars, until a world war happens eventually and wipes out 90% of the humans on earth. when the first generation comes out of the bunkers and sees the death and destruction they have caused just for their own selfish desires, they finally understand that what they did was wrong, so they split their party into two, the ones who think it was wrong to do it and the ones who think they need to eradicate the rest of the people, so more death followed. the cycle never ended. when the last man alive committed suicide, he woke up in a cold tub of water and realized it was all a dream. wait... what is this weird machine sticking out of my butt? THE END.

5. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    i will think i got thrown into the world of Final Fantasy 13 X2 lightning return, maybe the beginning

6. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it would be a dystopia. Because people will 'live' one way or the other.
    Examples:
    - Hunger will no longer be a thing to kill you, so you'll live on as a cripple with no muscle to your bones. Because eating becomes redundant, the agriculture lowers itself to the bare minimum, possibly collapses.
    - Thirst will no longer be a thing to kill you, so you'll live on as a dehydrated dried skin and bones mess. The waters will be polluted to all heck thanks to not having to worry about health organizations shutting anyone down as it could no longer kill people if the waters are polluted.
    - Life of anyone who isn't creative and 'good' will go into a decline. Following which, anarchy will happen, as they will form organizations to purge the 'curse' off, organizations to 'entertain' themselves by hunting others, etc.

Just a few examples of what I think will go on, based on how I view the world at the moment.

7. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    We might make mortal clone servants to serve and entertain us

8. JackStone

JackStone Wow. How nice. Good job.

Reading List:
    Link
    As OP said,
    You CAN still die due to stuff like that of which you mentioned.

9. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Another thing that might happen. Is that everything gets reverted back to craftsman instead of mass production. We have a millennium to become experts and masters. From making a spoon to building a spacecraft. Everything could be built with finer details. Hell, their may not even need to use money anymore.

Zerak likes this.
  10. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At the bare minimum, reproduction would have to be stopped or drastically slowed down. We're already running out of space, immortality would only make that problem worse.
    I was speaking of old age and disease, so things like cancer wouldn't happen, but dying of hunger, thirst, poison, various accidents, etc. could.
    You may want to re-read my original post. You can definitely die, just not without help or the absence of food or water.
    I would still consider hunger and thirst to be lethal. You're body may not age or get sick anymore, but that doesn't mean you don't need to eat. If we assume that that's not the case though, then I would assume that that would mean that you don't need food or water, and eating and drinking are simply hobbies for those who are interested in such things.

11. Dementia

Dementia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Human beings are designed for a short life. As you get older, your emotions become subdued or all senior citizens would be crazy. Just think of a world full of bored teenagers....:blobdizzy:.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    What if you get exposed to radiation that causes cancer or what about things like gasoline or contact with other materials or smoking that damage your cells and cause cancer?

13. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Legendary_Exor

Legendary_Exor {Even this Turtle knows NTR is evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    Boredom would eventually eat at everyone. So some will become killers for a time, robbers another, artist another day etc....

15. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess our lives would be filled with hobbies. Until we master it and grow bored of it. Then move on to our next fad.
    Kinda sounds like: There Will Be Dragons by John Ringo.

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on if we retain our memories or not... if we start forgetting what we did 1000 years ago then well you can revisit a hobby and it'll be brand new to you.

17. Ananse

Ananse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they'd be a case of overpopulation, since people would have forever to live then they'd be more likely to take their time when it comes to having kids. I think as a society we wouldnt progress much on social issues like race and inequality but on the science side of things humanity would move forward alot, that's my 2 cents anyway.

18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm already immortal. Take note that I speak of immorality, not than I'm an immortal but am immortal. Yeah, I'll be eternally procrastinating until the cosmos shatter back into infinity and beyond.

19. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened when everyone become immortal is overcrowded, rebellion, and confusing everywhere.

20. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I think we'd stagnate on science as well. If you look at history, many great discoveries were suppressed by the older "experts" who refused to believe them. Many times, the only way to make progress is for those strong voices to die out so that new voices can be heard.

Of course, with an eternity to live, there's a small chance that people would be less petty, territorial, stubborn and close-minded, but I wouldn't give it great odds.

Ananse likes this.