Non-Fic What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoshMafia, Sep 24, 2018.

1. PoshMafia

PoshMafia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, so morbid shit going on in my life and I had a little thought experiment that I would love people to take seriously.

Premise - You are in a relationship with a person, and you fall hard for them. Unfortunately just as things are starting to really gain momentum, your partner becomes I'll. It happens slowly but your partner is eventually diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour and there is no way to operate. Eventually, they pass away and as a young adult you are never the same, and never find another person who you truly love.

Question - if you could go back in time, would you enter into the same relationship despite the pain of watching the person you truly love waste away before your eyes as you are powerless to do anything, or do you avoid it and look for love elsewhere never hooking up the with the person?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Ashley123 and Mebu like this.
  2. Exitiumm

Exitiumm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Avoid it, but then I'd create a paradox cause of the butterfly effect making me unable to go back in time~

Ruyue and I Eat Monsanto like this.
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    If it was truly love, I would repeat it. And try to be a better partner, more caring, loving, e.t.c.

4. Pretender

Pretender <{Vanquisher}> {(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻}

Reading List:
    Link
    If I could repeatedly come back in time, I would try to save her somehow. If I couldn't, I would still be by her side, as the memories of her death would still be in my brain and nothing would change this, I wouldn't come back in time in first place if I couldn't erase my memories, lol.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe if it's discovered earlier it could be cured?

6. PoshMafia

PoshMafia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The easy way out is a no go, therefore, it is impossible to save her, no matter what you do it is fatal.

7. Taurus3301

Taurus3301 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a hopeless romantic, I'd repeat it. Spend more time with them and create some memories that both of you cherish.

8. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Also on the second thought, I would probably ignore the possibility to go back in time just to solve my emotional turmoil. I would use such an opportunity to see the dawn of humanity and the first ancient civilisations. Using this chance to calm my heart down and in the end having nothing but bittersweet memories. Jumping back in time in a loop to relive a part of your life will make you crazy sooner or later.

9. KTL

KTL Down horrendous

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if you revert time, you still hold the memories that shackles you from finding another love interest. So in this case, I believe that I'd rather relive those memories, the person who is diagnosed with brain tumor dies either ways so why does it matter.

10. Silanthris

Silanthris Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't a simple question.
    If it was me I would stay with her during the good times and the bad, if i really loved her i'd gladly live through those hard times just to spend more time with her.
    So yeah i'd still stay with her, even if i could erase my memories to forgot about her and move on i wouldn't, memories are a very precious thing, it's what makes us us.
    And if she is already going to die, might as well make her die with a smile on her face knowing she is loved and will be for many years to come even after she becomes ash upon the wind.

11. Trolllegend

Trolllegend Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather stay the same and enjoy the time with her. If it is true love, never regret it.

12. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Embrace the time you have with that person even. it's not how long that matters, but how well spend the short amount of time. love comes and goes and sometimes it's taken away because nothing is forever.

yes I would do it again maybe when I got back in time we can catch the tumor early and prevent the tragedy, but if it's something unsolvable then I'd embrace the time I have with that person even more because this time im sure there will be no do over.

13. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, i will because i really love her...perhaps the memories of us will make me a better person..

14. xqiko

xqiko Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope. it might make you a better person but i'll stay away. All the emotions might cause problems later on

15. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    what would be the point? You're younger but the experience is already in your mind, avoiding it changes nothing to you. If you really loved the person then you think of it as a blessing and make the best of the time you have left, maybe see if you can warn about the tumor to try and find out if it can be taken care of before it progresses. Avoiding it only shows selfishness.

16. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you give a general reference for how long this acquaintanceship -> friendship -> relationship would last ? Some would do it in a week, some in a few months, some in a year, some in more years etc.

Basically, it's a lot different if it's within a year or within 20 years.

17. Faetro

Faetro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clarification is necessary for my answer.

If you go back and they die all over, does the flow of time return to a point where you go back in time?
    How much information do you retain in the time loop?
    Can I chose not to travel backwards in time or is this an event we are to assume happens regardless of our wills?
    If it is voluntary, can I repeatedly time loop as much as I desire?

Also, I lied about needing information for my answer, I'm just nitpicking for the unnecessary scenario for asking a simplistic question.
    No, I would not time travel if it was voluntary. If it isn't and I didn't retain enough information to make time travel interesting in other ways, I wouldn't enter that relationship. If I don't retain enough information of the now-future, I might just think I'm going mad or being delusional, disregard the information I've kept and continue onward like I knew nothing.

This thought experiment is a bad one for me, as I'm fairly sure I'm emotionally incapable of love.

18. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Move on.

19. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on whether I was still in love with the person when going back
    If I was just going back with the knowledge that I was in love with that person and then she died, without me actually remembering anything, then obviously avoid
    with the memories of us being together and me being head over heels, I wouldn't be able to resist getting into the same situation again, and spend my time happily with her until her death once more (also imagine, that since it was diagnosed soon after, it is unprobable that she would have anyone ese (other than maybe family) to comfort her when it happens and stay with her, so if I was in love, I would no matter what stay by her side, as best friend or lover)

20. TakenAway

TakenAway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "your partner becomes I'll "

So she's becoming a Korean? jk.
    I would. If anything, it's to enjoy it once more.