Recommendations What would you like to see in a xianxia style original novel?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Violetbird27, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I would like to see a man's journey. Something where he is like a monk going on adventures. No women/romance, no bullshit luck, no old man in a ring/bottle/pagoda/stone/soul/etc
    Where there is an organization that is working hard towards a goal together.
    Hmm like Shaolin? Yeah something like that. Just a simple, pure story.
    No back stabbing, raping, dumb villains, jade beauties, ice-cold beauties, peerless beauties (are they still peerless when every girl is "peerless"?)
    A story where people are on an even playing field would be good too. I never get how the MC can cultivate better than those young masters who have thousands of years of history plus limitless resources. The MC has a treasure so other people should too >.<

Violetbird27 likes this.
  2. Goldsaif

Goldsaif sect patriarch for the sect of primordial lurkers

Reading List:
    Link
    me its less of a requirement and more of a story I thought of that I want to read but don't want to write

well it's starts out with Gary a random middle aged man who has a slight beer belly and is half bald also not the best looking is one day crushed to death by a fallen shelf full of products at his dead beat job

but gary is reborn in a World of Cultivation something he has no idea about

yet idea is just him being out of place and doings stupid things

for example gary heads down to an auction to bid for a material his horrible master wants and after a fierce bidding war he manages to win and leaves but is stopped by a rich young master who tells him to sell give him face

but daosit gary doesn't know what face is and stands there perplexed until an idea strikes him and he proceeds to slowly retrieve many things from his bag of holding

first comes out the spirit stones but the young master gives him a strange look so he puts it back and takes out an herb but the young masters look continues to get stranger and this proceeds until daosit gary has emptied out his bag confused about what face is

Violetbird27 likes this.
  3. Violetbird27

Violetbird27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

The problem with a nice relaxing journey is that people start to call it boring...it's pretty sad.

Phantom Starlight likes this.
  4. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading this made me think. "I'd like to read one where the MC ages" None of this 20 year old youth for several million years thing you always see. Would be kinda cool if he's a wise old man by the time the series ends haha

5. MelancholyCorner

MelancholyCorner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Romance of dragon and snake sounds like the ideal xianxia novel. The main guy is pretty dedicated to improving himself and his pace of his improvements was reasonable. He's no genius but a hard-working guy with a great teacher. He isn't crazy about killing some random guy's nine generations of family and it's an modern day setting so he can't just kill everyone he doesn't like in the open.

There's no random pretty missy falling in love with him at a drop of a hat. He got rich through reasonable means and so on... I'm kinda of tire of explaining more, but that novel is more or less my kind of ideal xianxia novel. There's more xianxia novel out there that I like but I'm just going to name this one because it's pretty original in my opinion.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  6. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how its done. JP does it in such a way it really IS boring. Its not about it being relaxing then. its about the MC being too OP.
    It also depends on the length. Relaxing journey probably shouldn't last several thousand chapters XD

Violetbird27 likes this.
  7. Cohran

Reading List:
    Link
    Poo people. I like it and that's all that matters >.>
    Those stallion novels are getting out of hand. I dropped a few favourites due to being tired of all the harem >.<
    Btw are some MCs masochist? The girls treat them like poop and yet they still add them to the harem.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  8. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Consistent side-characters.
    Not introduce a ridiculous amount of characters that will have no impact to the story.
    Create an antagonist just to bash him, is beyond boring.
    Too much unnecessary drama.
    2D villians
    Drag on problems example: ATG, LLS,MGA, MC.and heroine takes around 10-20 chapters to escape a dire situation and a lot of shitty drama. Masked Knight, MC and heroine survived a dire situation in 1-2 chapters and the drama, feelings was just right.and enough to understand them.

Final but not least trying to justify that MC is a rapist.

GrimVeilRule and Violetbird27 like this.
  9. sergioGM

sergioGM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like this type of novel :)

Violetbird27 and Cohran like this.
  10. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

It was enjoyable, it roped me in with the romantic subplot between him and his master. It was awesome.

11. Cohran

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard that Lord Xue Ying ends like that. I would like to see a badass old man too. The girly boys get annoying after a while.

12. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

Tsudere is just abusive spelled differently to me.

Phantom Starlight and Cohran like this.
  13. Cohran

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally! I never get how that is so appealing. Tsundere are just pooping annoying. I have seen some where the girl tries to kill the MC but he still falls for her.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  14. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

Never understood that. It's never a lie either oh I'll try to kill him, pretend to fall in love after being raped and then kill him for real tonight! Bwa-hahaha!

Cohran and Phantom Starlight like this.
  15. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like something a cultivation technique that makes you use matching abilities(kind of like Dragon Marked War God) instead of finding all these super strong technique all the time

16. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

Can you elaborate for me please?

17. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    So your cultivating something like body reinforcement method so you just can't use this super strong lighting technique you find unless it deals with body reinforcement

or something like a demon cultivation technique and you can only use abilities from the technique or are demon themed

Violetbird27 likes this.
  18. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

That makes sense. Alot of sense. Ill be...writting those down...for prosperity yknow?

19. pomoli

pomoli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - A genius MC actually being a genius (Like the mc in Ze Tian Ji) -> calm, clever, mature, humble/low key, gentle, strong willed, and somehow slightly dense. Actually someone admirable so it makes any harem or non harem romance believable instead of forced. And please, no nazi like MC killing everyone, their family and their pets for the slightest offense. Or a pervert. I just can't stand those types of MC.

- Complex side characters, be them friends of potential enemies. No one dimensional "you're courting death" types.

- Interesting love interests : strong willed clever women are the best, and it's way more interesting when they fall in love with the MC. Also, it makes sense, again, that they fall in love with the MC if he is himself worthy of admiration.
    - In the same vein, progressive and slow romance that is the background and not the foreground of the story.

- Friendship and cooperation between characters. Not the "only face counts" I see so much.

- Cultivation making people more powerful but also wiser. So no moronic masters behaving like crazy killers.

- Cultivation being needed for something, like defending against demons or other big antagonists: no endless cultivators being there doing nothing or killing each others and using endless resources from nowhere to do that.

- Non cultivators having a life and a say on what's going on, instead of them being pitiful side characters.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Violetbird27 likes this.
  20. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

Ill add em to the list. Especially the part about multidimensional women characters.