Resolved What's the difference between a Forum and a Thread?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Nincompoop, May 18, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wondering about this for some time when i clicked the Forums there's a sub category (i don't know whats it called, let's just name it) what's a watched forums and what's a watched threads? what's the differences between the two?

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    'watching' a thread or a subforum means you're subscribing to receive an update/notification

as the name suggest, watch 'thread' means it is exclusive for that particular thread/topic. you'll get notified through an alert whenever someone posted a reply in it.

watch 'forum', on the other hand, gives you 3 option, the first one is to notify you of whenever a new thread/topic was created under that subforum.
    the second option will notify you of any new post, regardless of thread/topic.
    choosing the third option means you will not receive any notification, but you can still see the list of any new thread that were made, or have new post in them by clicking the 'watched forum' or 'watched thread' menu

do noted however, you'll only receive an alert once for every thread made, or the first unread new post in a thread. if you saw the alert and ignore it (as in not clicking to go the the link thread/post), you will not get anymore alert for that particular thread, unless someone replied (to your post), or mentioned you (@Nincompoop )

Blitz, AliceShiki, Nincompoop and 2 others like this.
  3. Eisvarith Devirea

Eisvarith Devirea [Mza {Valkyrie Awakens} Mya]

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks! that helps a lot.

4. Nincompoop

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks! but i still don't know what's in the watch forum. I know what's in the watched thread since i already received notifications but in the watched forum it says 'you are not watching any forums'. what do i do to change it? i can't seem to find the 3 options you mentioned.

5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    the menu bar up top this page are shortcuts to 'your' list of watched forums/thread

watched.jpg

the reason if any of them are empty is because you aren't 'watching' any

try going to this subforum and hit the 'watch forum' to test
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/spoilers.1030/

watched2.jpg

to test a 'watch thread', the best option is to go to NU's main page, click on the latest thread (since it is more likely, and quickly, to give you an alert)

AliceShiki and Nincompoop like this.
  6. Nincompoop

Reading List:
    Link
    oh! now i know how it works. that really helped thanks a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.