Whats the point in being filial

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lurking, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    In my culture, being filial is more like an obligation, rather than a mutual relationship. The moment that you feel the relationship is something like a business transaction, then you're on the path of isolation and cutting ties.

I can understand your point of being unfairly treated as well. It is happening in every family, especially when there is only one competent sibling with the other two or three dead-weights. Or when the sister is more competent than the brothers.
    However, in exchange of you donating a lot, you have more control and voice in the family.

So, there are only two paths lie in front of you:
    Either you don't care anything and live for yourselves. Cut ties and treat it as if you don't want anything to do with them.
    Then you should pay everything that you owe to them and cut contact by living far away from your family.

Or, you can take more responsibility. Take advantage of your family manpower and funds. Negotiate their needs and create any business opportunities from the collected funds. Split profit and co-owned a business with your family.
    By doing that, you can create a harmonious cycle and a constructive community. Plus fulfilling your filial obligation as well.

Makes no mistake that it's not a smooth sailing even when you're successful. Your relatives could backstab you anytime when you're weak. Most of the time, they will try every opportunity to gain more money. Being an ungrateful ingrate.
    However, when you have enough power on the family and his misdeed proven, your relative will understand when you isolate or cutting ties with such relative. They will wholeheartedly support your decision, including your parents.

But, that's just how life is. Unless you want to work forever, it's something that you will have to go through sooner or later. If it's not your relative, it could be your own wife or your best friend.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Lurking likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg
    action reaction law
    it quite simple
    cut ties with family only require firm determination cuz repercussion from that action quite harsh one
    maybe soon maybe decades later such action finally affect you~ filial piety is just moral thing unless it backed by regular law then feel free to ditch it~ social repercussion may different cuz culture different
    that point about is filial piety important or not

Lurking likes this.
  3. YanaseRyoko

YanaseRyoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

You can put yourselft above others, you have to.
    when you are not wanted or love, its better to cut the feelings once for all.. cause it will cause you damage, and you need to take care of yourself if no one will.

In my case.. Im just waiting to cut ties so badly... that would be my revenge.

Villager Anonymous and Lurking like this.
  4. Chilli_Chiia

Chilli_Chiia Trying to survive my courses

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I owe a lot more money to my parents because I’m still in school and my dad's already past 60, about to retire so my older brother pays my school fees and some of the bills. I own my parts like $41 000 and my older bro like $15 000 currently for my education alone. Then there’s bills and food. I’ll probably be able to pay it off 5 years minimum with the job I’m studying for.

Lurking likes this.
  5. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t think of it as being filial. Think of it as showing love to those who loves you.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Care for the people that care for you, and cut ties with those that don't.

I care for my parents because they care for me, it's a mutual relationship, not a one-sided one.

7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Filial piety is ancient Chinese propaganda. There are times it fits the situation, but even then, some parents deserve to get their asses kicked. Why support someone who has abandoned you? That's not filial piety but failure and pity.