What's up with Chen Dong?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TotesMyGoats, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TotesMyGoats

TotesMyGoats yeetle the teetle

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently he's one of the top web novel authors in China, but all, or at least most, of his novels have comparatively bad ratings on here compared to other "top" authors. What's up with that?

2. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they have slow starts and the readers that are accustomed to fast starts can't stand that.
    they leave reviews like this : 'i've read it and it wasn't interesting even after chapter 9, the author doesn't explain to us anything ! 1 star'
    they don't even consider how much % they even read, they just love the junk novels where the sweet climax is at the start lol

Chen Dong construct his world and let you discover it slowly but those readers want it all presented in the fastest way possible, just feed them like ducks and they will happily give you 5 stars.

Also this author can write some really hateful characters and situations and make your emotions boil up, some people can't handle that, they prefer villains that just stay alive for 3 to 7 chapters max (altho I admit wanting to kill the bitch in World of immortal by my own hands multiple times in the first 50 chapters but later on shes just fodder).

Bonus for progression of plot :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. CoffeeMonk

CoffeeMonk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Different opinions and likes.

Shocking isn't it?

4. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not familiar with the authors. What stories did he write?

Chris likes this.
  5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people that rate shit have strong opinions, we common folk don't have time to rate novels

checkm8, Damyabo, strayCat0 and 3 others like this.
  6. Shiro-kun

Shiro-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    strayCat0, JLIX19, Hmntlzn and 2 others like this.
  7. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    yes people are dumb for not liking slow starts *sarcasm*
    he puts out lots of filler in his stories if your not a fan of tons of chapters without progress e.g. most chinese novels

otaku31, The_Follower and readerz like this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Nameless Wanderer 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    runsing likes this.
  9. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Supreme Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    if this guy @Shiro-kun quoted the right novels then it isnt really weird.
    Perfect World: we got a 0.1 year old mc for over 100 chapters. cant immerse myself at all.
    World of Immortals:
    as many others i read spoilers. if i remember correctly mc doesnt kill that bitch before chapter 500+
    Shen Mu: dont really think its translated far, and also we are kinda just thrown into it. Personally dont like mc who has already started cultivating.
    Never read The Sacred Ruins, but Shrouding the Heavens is a good read.

readerz likes this.
  10. Titan LLS

Titan LLS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i really like his work's though. but they have not been translated far. oddly the one i like the least, sacred ruins, is getting a lot of translation over at QI. the one i like the most PW is...average? speed in translation. i wish it were faster.
    oh yeah about this thread question, i think it is really a matter of preference. i mean you have some guy'a here who hate even ISSTH
    which on my end i really don't understand) but still it's more of a matter "to each his own". i rage quit something like BTTH but people really still love it. take review's here with a pinch of salt and judge on your own is all i can say to perspective new reader's.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess we're just not big dong fans.

12. cvquake

cvquake Member

Reading List:
    Link
    His slowness is mitigated by his update speed though. You probably feel the slow start a lot more with slower translations.

He's also built up a solid fanbase with a string of consistently good novels that aren't cookie cutter stereotypical stuff. (Although his latest the Sacred Ruins is pretty subpar tbh.) His writing is also pretty good in Chinese.

Also sometimes there's luck involved in who/what novels catches fire and who doesn't. You also need to spend money for marketing, pay people to write fake reviews for you everywhere (this is a real thing), maybe have Qidian/whoever cheat the rankings for you, etc.

13. IRainstorm

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting and also eye opening, I always wondered how could Silk potato reach his current popularity with his subpar novels and plots.

Damyabo likes this.
  14. devilmaycry1

devilmaycry1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damyabo and Wujigege like this.
  15. cvquake

cvquake Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh Potato was fire because he was an innovator with BTTH. You see a billion novels with the same formula that now, but it's all because of him.

16. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    there you go...
    you can be a small example of why that author got bad ratings.
    (not kidding, you only know that his books got bad rating.. did you read any of it by yourself to find out why it got bad ratings?? probably no)

humans are full of greed, doesn't matter what it is... some prefers slow start, and some prefers fast start. but in the end, its just a fake opinion of a reader that didn't read half of the book yet knows how to complaint.
    truly, saying sorry after tasting it, instead should've said it before trying to taste it (example of eating someone else's food).
    there are some books i don't read anymore but others does and it got continues updates too, but that didn't mean that i gave them any bad ratings, rather i won't even bother mentioning their names, and slowly forget it. but some people, when they feels unsatisfied, they would go around barking like a dog that the meat was full of poison.

Damyabo, strayCat0 and runsing like this.
  17. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because he wrote the worst Chinese novel I've ever read Shen Mu. He always does something extreme in his novels too. Just did it with World of Immortals and it pissed me off probably still his best work out of the shit I've read.

18. IRainstorm

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh innovator it is heh, then I retract my previous statement.

Damyabo likes this.
  19. TotesMyGoats

TotesMyGoats yeetle the teetle

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually love Perfect World and Shrouding the Heavens...

checkm8 and Damyabo like this.
  20. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    some people doesn't likes perfect world (because MC is a gluttony, too OP, trouble maker... but they never thought if the story is fun enough and interesting or not. rather they'd look at the characters and backgrounds.) . and some never heard of shrouding the heavens.

Damyabo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.