Question what's with the hate for the father in Mushoku Tensei

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by kennykdogg, Nov 17, 2018.

1. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    so i recently been reading a fanfic on Mushoku Tensei and saw in the comments that everyone wants him dead, mind controlled( to only be with wife and the maid or be impotent) or his third leg removed. i am aware of his past and some of his future (form the wiki), but i only read the manga 2 years ago and what i read he was a great father with a sad story. i feel like people are overly bashing him for thing out of his control and thing that mcs in other novel do on greater scale.

2. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's probably because he cheats on his wife early on, but come on, you can't really hate Paul after the mass teleports and the dungeon rescue

3. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never read any of the fanfics so i don't know what you are talking about, but Rudy's dad is pretty well respected (in the original story)...

ps... Paul had a harem before he got hitched, when he did he fell into temptation when his wife was pregnant, and for me what is worse is how he kinda raped Lilia when they where younger (if I remember right)... everything else I wouldn't understand how he could be hated.

Raven Evernight likes this.
  4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Paul is a good father, not a great one, but at least he is trying. Just that Rudeus is not a normal kid and Paul seem to see his child as his equal or better. I guess the hate stems from how Paul and Rudeus first met after the Hitogami mass teleport everyone. Rudeus was telling the adventures he had during the trip and Paul was sort of angry at Rudeus for not trying to find his mother/family, they had an awkward fight and later Gisu actually reminded Paul that Rudeus is a child/minor, that no matter how talented or mature he is, he is still inexperienced and that Rudeus could not had known his mother is missing due to beastman shit happening.

Also maybe on how Paul tried to save the mother on first sight and Rudeus stopped him out of logics, only to be berated as being unfilial.

ahkey, kenar and King0Mik like this.
  5. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Paul had too much expectations for Rudeus due to his talents and achievements as a child, and this led to Paul viewing his own son not as a child but as a symbol of power; pillar of strength; a superman, but the truth is far from Paul's expectations. Rudeus may be an old soul in a child's body but he is still mentally or emotionally still a child (it is explained how his soul is refined as he experiences his life as Rudeus) with trauma.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. OneNameVillain

OneNameVillain [One Who Faced And Became What Should Not Be]

Reading List:
    Link
    Rudeus is easily my least favorite character. I actually like paul.

7. cheval

cheval Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this paul is the one that f**ks his maid when his wife pregnant right? I finished reading this a long time ago and dont want to re-read it.

1 thing for sure is I don't have any memorable moments when reading this unlike some of completed novels I've read

strayCat0 likes this.
  8. Zackarov

Zackarov ~ Cheese Bear ~

Reading List:
    Link
    I was hoping that orsted will marry rudeus' first daughter.

9. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    My issue with Paul was never about the harem or cheating. It was the one scene where he just tears into Rudy about fighting and just completely shuts him down whenever Rudy tries to tell him that he was just protecting soneone. That's shitty parenting.

10. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I had no problem with paul. As for the fanfiction most of it sucks it's just the author inserting themselves into the story to have a power fantasy. The only kind I like either still has the same MC or is about an existing side character. With new characters being support leads at best

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  11. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    He don't care that Rudeus is teleported into the most dangerous region in the world, he only care that Rudeus find his mom no matter what, while he surrounds himself with womens wearing bikini armors when saying that. Yeah, that's quite hateful in my eyes alright.

12. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read fan fiction in the first place because most of the time it's by creepers that inject themselves into the story by changing it. Thereby applying their fetishes (usually sick shit) or how they want the story to go. I don't usually mind it when they just take the universe and create their own characters while keeping it cannon tho.

In my opinion, Paul was the "alpha" version of the mc's previous world. Both are selfish af and don't think that what they say and do is bad. The mc was a loser of society and mooched off of everyone and treated them like shit. Paul raped, cheated on his wife because he couldn't keep his dick in his pants until she gave birth, and was a hypocritical asshole with his actions towards the mc. There is very justified reasons for disliking and maybe even hating him. But, again, fan fiction weirdo's always take things too far. He pretty much re-deemed himself before he left the party chat.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  13. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought it was implied that Orsted had the "hots" for Rudeus' niece

14. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't there only one woman wearing that bikini armor, in the novel not FF, and if I am remembering right I think she only wear it because she was abused sexually and wearing it made herself feel strong. I could be remembering wrong. She did stop after the incident to stop such misunderstandings.

And Paul wasn't in a good state of mind at the time. He didn't know if his family was alive or dead, and even if they were alive they could be suffering since some of the people caught in the incident were made slaves and raped. And he was fighting a losing battle where most of the people caught in the incident were confirmed dead or presumed dead. And he never got too much support from the government. It all wore him down. And he trusted his son to be doing his best as well. Yes he's young, but he has always surpassed his expectations and showed intelligence beyond his age.

And while I don't fault the mc that much for not doing more, even being older than he appears, you can criticize him somewhat for not realizing what was going on just like you can criticize Paul for getting angry after dealing with the tragedy around him. It's why I liked it that afterwards they forgave each other for both making mistakes. I don't know about this FF, but the argument ended with a mature and happy conclusion.

The mc does the same shit as his father Paul. He has sex with and brought home a girl while his first wife was pregnant. And he brings home a third girl while his second wife is pregnant. He had more stuff going on and wasn't just lust, but he did do the same thing, twice.

And in the dark timeline he ignored and yelled at his first wife after the death of his second, driving her away and to her death. Spent decades in despair, raping passing girls, keeping sex notes, and beat and ignored his old love interest never realizing she loved him all this time til she died blocking an attack on him.

15. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    You like that scumbag of a father?:blobastonished: I won't say Rudeus is not similar to Paul, but that bastard Paul was the most incompetent father or parent I've read in the story. His death was worth something if not his lazy ass life wasting it all on pleasure (younger years) and out-of-reality expectations (last years).
    Are you sure? I recall Rudeus (darker) all his lifetime planning to get revenge on him in that failed world-line. I don't remember any rape or such notes, and as for Eris, I can't imagine the Rudeus of that dark world-line would focus most of his time beating up Eris, when he already became too obsess with revenge against him as he continued his research in torment, learning that magic to counter him.:blobconfused:

16. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The sex notes included that thief girl and her past as a sold sex toy to the Prime Minister, the note is the reason they want to protect her to discredit the PM who support the prince as the next king. Eris keep trying to stop him on his destructive path, or prove her love to him and he thinks she's an enemy agent for how often she barred his way.

17. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eris followed him from a distance and they got into fights a lot until she got old as I recall.

And I can't believe Paul is the worst dad you've read about in a novel. Really? And I don't get by lazy. He was a very skilled swordsman. He had a job and provided for his family. To make sure his son didn't out do him as a child he trained himself when the mc went to the city. During the tragedy of the mass teleportation he founded a organization to look for not just his family but everyone. And after getting his act together after meeting his son he advanced his sword skills and traveled the world to find his wife just rumored to be in a very dangerous dungeon, later dying to protect his son in said dungeon. He's far from a perfect human and wouldn't win father of the year, but lazy is not a word to describe him at all.

18. OneNameVillain

OneNameVillain [One Who Faced And Became What Should Not Be]

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked rudeus up until he met laplaces other half. It was at that moment i discovered how much of a pussy he is.

19. Adastria Lillith

Adastria Lillith [Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate? I don't think so. Lose respect? Definitely. That was why he misunderstood his father for being irresponsible and beat the s*it out of him.. dunno, it was long time ago.. maybe i remember it wrong

imnot9o likes this.
  20. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    There's my answer as to why I mentioned he was lazy.
    1. He was lazy due to inferiority complex he developed over his own son and this made him expect too much from his son. When his son arrived at the town and saw the current state of his father, tell me if he didn't look lazy or not from stress and weakness? He got lazy, because he believed that his son can achieve what he believed he cannot, but in fact, he could if he did not wallow in despair from the relentless years of searching for his family with his daughter.
    2. As for why he is one of the most incompetent fathers, if the not the absolute worst; he admonishes his own son for his own insecurity and most of all, his not really of a father figure based on his valiant adventures in the past.
    Paul was not the best or the worst, but he was necessary to his son's growth as a person; his death was necessary for the plot. As an adventurer, he was not a failure but as a father, he was incompetent. And as a parent, he did well to lay a foundation for his son in the remaining spans of life in the story.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018