Spoiler What's your opinion of ATG?

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Parth37955, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyue

Greyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    10? Seriously? So many wow

2. Kuro no Maou

Kuro no Maou BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY

Reading List:
    Link
    I was exaggerating who cares

3. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not, that's bound to go beyond that number eventually.

4. Luxcilla

Luxcilla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not talking about ATG i'm talking about people who think like that..

5. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    I see all these complaints about the harem and getting all the girls by hook or by crook... it reminds me of the old days when The Duke of Mount Deer (The Deer and the Cauldron) drew criticism from people who expected a more conservative and honorable hero as usual from Louis Cha.

Search Youtube for Stephen Chow's Royal Tramp movies (1&2) and you get an idea how something lecherous/harem novels like Against the Gods and Heavenly Jewel Change are inspired by. For those who are unfamiliar, Stephen Chow is the guy who did Kungfu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer. The Royal Tramp comedy-wuxia movies are examples of his peak work of the 90s, many of his films can be found on Youtube with English subtitles.

6. Baddiez

Baddiez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically the novel doesn't conform to modern day morals and standards so a lot of people hate it. I find it laughable when people get mad that there are rape scenes in Xianxia or "senseless" killing as if it's not completely normal in the types of worlds that these stories are written in. Shit even harems are normal in Wuxia worlds....I don't think it has anything to do with the "quality of writing" as I know some people will try to argue. It fits his characters personality and his actions are not "bad" in the world he is commititng them in. I mean if he was a saint then suddenly started raping girls left and right and breaking hearts as fast as he kills people I would understand the anger....but the harem flags were raised from the start...Modern day morals DO NOT(for the most part) apply to Xianxia lol...when will people understand that...
    [​IMG]

Sabruness likes this.
  7. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Modern day morals dont usually work in fantasy novels to begin with. The only time it works is if we have a morally upstanding mc but the majority of xianxia mcs we get are ruthless self rightous personalities with a big helping of asshole. You can count the mcs that have decent morals with your hand.

8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    The story about halfway through degenerated badly. That's the problem I have with it. I am perfectly fine with harems or ruthless MCs. Hell I'm fine with Thomas Covenant and he literally raped a girl, not stupid pseudo-rape like Yun Che. And yes the writing is bad. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean others can't.

9. Baddiez

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I ever said it was good, however I wouldn't label it "bad" either. Also, is this an opinon or a fact because it's written as if it were a fact.

10. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    From an objective literature minded point of view, the writing is bad. I read tons of actual full-length novels on a regular basis, so I feel qualified to judge the writing from that perspective. Now in comparison to other xianxia, the writing might even be above average (I havent read enough xianxia to feel qualified to say that), but I don't use such a low standard when choosing what I want to read.

11. Baddiez

Reading List:
    Link
    Well full-length novels compared to translated webnovels....I don't personally expect higher than average quality from translated webnovels, but that's just me. Thanks for clarifying and sorry if it seemed like I was taking a jab at you. I was just curious.

12. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read all of this thread so forgive me if i am wrong, but few that i have seen argue against mass murder and for better morals in the xianxia genre. When most read a xianxia or xuanhuan we expect murder and mass slaughter somewhere along the line in the story. Most the time it is the excess amount of it with nothing other than that people are generally annoyed with. For example Pmg: most don't really have a problem with it because it was defined pretty early on of what the mc would become and shit like that. However, for Atg Yun Che was it's biggest backing he was a schemer, he was fun, all sorts of stuff, and was really fun to read, but now he is the typical overpowered xuanhuan/xianxia protagonist.

Arcturus, moto and Prometheus like this.
  13. Renmaster

Renmaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's "FANTASY"
    why the hell you want current civilization standart about no harem , no poligamy , no mass murder work in "FANTASY" world, you should read or watch nat geography instead >_>
    i swear if someone try to make all story no harem , no killing and no stupidity and all story most follow current real world ethic standart, they shouldnt read fantasy novel in the first place
    if it didnt suit your taste, dont read it, dont force every author to make same standart ethic or same personality for every character!
    sigh >_>

14. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not so much what is written, but how it is written...Everyone who reads xianxia knows what we are getting ourselves into...They know there will be harems and and a lot of killing. I don't have anything against that. Most people here probably have nothing against that. If you think the concept of harems and mass murders is people have against ATG, then you are wrong. Rape happens. We all know that. I may not like the concept of rape, but I won't drop a novel over it. What I am complaining about was how it was written.
    I think the problem is that every character has the same personality...

15. Renmaster

Renmaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know about how it should be written, can you give example what's wrong about how it was written, and give example how it should be written?

about personality it's pretty much different , IET character are devoted toward one woman , linley, qin yu, also has brother, bebe and hei yu.
    but other character like menghao seems almost have no interest in women, while other character like yun che and chu feng love harem ><
    or some still doesnt really understand love just feeling shy seeing women body , like yi yun in TMW. since he's still brat.
    so i must say their personality are different not same at all ><

16. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ok let's talk about the rape of Little Fairy. What most people have a issue with is the fact fans will claim it wasn't rape because LF loved Yun Che and he was doing it for her own good. Almost nothing stirs ATG fans and non-fans up as trying to claim that the rape was actually rape (or not rape). Rape has become a really overused plot device, where rape=power-up. Other MC's rape too, but the reason why people are so easily agitated about rape in ATG because people will try to justify it. This is not really a question of modern-day morals or anything. Rape is Rape. It's really the romance I have trouble with in ATG. I'll explain more in the paragraph below.
    I was referring more towards other characteristics. Um, take MGA, PMG, and ATG. What do the characters have in common? They kill...a lot. Rivers of blood flow when they're pissed off. I didn't have an issue with Yun Che killing, don't take me wrong. I started having a problem when instead of using their brains, Yun Che just started using force and killing recklessly. Yun Che used to act very smart and cunning. He managed to completely destroy a branch-off of the Xiao sect, steal all of their goodies, cripple their young master and have that young master refer to him as Honored Grandfather. Now, if you provoke him, he destroys your sect (after a somewhat lengthy 10-12 chapter battle), kills you and all of your disciples and offspring (except for one guy...who people are complaining about why he was left alive)

In my opinion, that is the reason some people started disliking ATG. The MC...sort of devolved from a cunning and resourceful MC to a provoke, kill, rinse and repeat MC. People are slowly starting to expect more from their MC's. It's around the time that the hype is dying, people are craving for actual substance in the novels (this is more than just ATG). It doesn't help that Mars Gravity is stretching the arcs out and probably will continue to do so in the future.

My main problem with the novel was how the romance was written...Yun Che used some very questionable tactics on Cang Yue (the whole false-sorrow, false-anger routine, you can read about it in a earlier post on this thread if you want). And then he leaves her...to go find his other waifu...and now he's kind of sidetracked. Makes you wander just how important Yun Che's waifus are to him.

My other major problem was...that I found it increasingly difficult to understand and empathize with Yun Che's personality. Really, I do not see where Yun Che's thought and feeling develop at all. Heck, I find it nearly impossible to care about any of the characters of ATG. I mean, literally one of them could just fall over and die, and I wouldn't feel any loss. That is a warning sign for me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    nwms8, Kuro no Maou, moto and 3 others like this.
  17. nwms8

nwms8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Parth, that was really well written. I loved ATG a lot. I donated money to get more chapters because the characters were varied and there was more to the writing than just 'lvl up bash stuff hulk smash your mom' I found in many xanxia. Welllll, then around chapter 340 when Fen Ju found his grandpa ... I just laughed out loud and stopped reading. Not even going to look back.

moto, Arcturus and Parth37955 like this.
  18. rav1980

rav1980 Random Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I like ATG for the action, power ups and jokes. I get past the Pre-teen hairpulling he does because I understand this novel is directed mainly at teen boys fantasies who may or may no have gotten past that phase. I don't mind the trope enemies either because it's usually hard to come up with a good one. (I dropped Bleach when they turned the villain into a f@#$ing butterfly and killed of every other worthwhile villain in the process. Only to not end the story there, in order to make more money....pants.) The parts of the story I am interested in are usually done well, with enough drama and excitement that makes the story very enjoyable to me.

19. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    It is the second last thing I would look for as a time filler. Setting aside tedious repetitions, the writing isn't bad. The characters could really use more depth and colors, but yeaah since I only look at it to waste some time, I suppose I didn't ask and expect too much out of it.

20. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    ATG has actual romance (even if it does lack in some areas), which is really the reason I keep reading it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.